Which Oil? (2 Viewers)

GGdeTOURS

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello Everybody!
Years ago I bought those Eagle Clay chips (1st photo) then sold them to a friend who sold them back to me recently (2d photo).
The point is the colors seems to be "tired" now ... I saw you clean them with OIL but what kind of oil exactly please?
(I'll try to translate then for my country) TY for any help - GG

Most people use regular mineral oil from Walgreens.

I use unscented Swan Mineral Oil from the Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Mineral...F8&qid=1549462746&sr=1-9&keywords=mineral+oil

The oil+water trick is also something you need to know (courtesy of @Trihonda)...

Switch to french for the sake of clarity:

@GGdeTOURS
Huile minérale, on trouve ça dans les drogueries.
Connu aussi sous le nom Huile de vaseline
il doit être translucide, inodore, incolore, il doit pas se volatiliser et surtout pas moisir. (<comme le huile vegetal)

By the way I can't find nowhere on the net some other picture of those chips of mine?
I know I bought them from USA a long time ago (before i got internet lol) - They are pure Clays - Horse Heads - Paulson I think (but not sure)
"Land of the Free" written under the Eagle ... Maybe I did choose the colors & everything? ... Any idea somebody? TY ...

OK couldn't find any of this in our DIY chops but some VASELINE OIL then went in pharmacy and found PARAFFINE OIL witch i tried on few chips ... Seems to work but while they are still drying I feel they are too shiny now ... I did put only a coffee spoon of oil in a bowl but it seems to much (or the Paraffine is not the good oil)? Edit: Got it: It's PARAFFINE OIL!

Last edited:
ARRRG! By the way I first didn't noticed it - I hope it's part of the chips - But now watching closely under the sun I see lots of little spots on the edge of the chips - Mostly the red chips!? - When looking close it looks dirty - But it's only on the red and not at all on the yellow and very few on the other colors - WTF? - So I suppose it's not human dirt nor stone disease? - Also after the washing, the oiling and the drying, the smell of the cellars where my friend stocked them 10 years is back - Smell of "dust" or "mold" of whatever? - Now I remember why I sold them a long time ago and went to the ceramics: OK the clays are beautiful and "alive" ... But because they are "alive" they need much more care than the ceramics! LOL

Last edited:
I think I got it!
I scraped the surface of the edge of a chip and I found inside very small shiny metal flakes! And the dark ones on my non scraped old chips are simply the same flakes but OXIDIZED with the time and use!
CONCLUSION: I will keep those chips for the legend (and some rare cash games) but will use my CERAMICS instead for our numerous Sit & Go.
And if some day I want to rebuy some Chips, and even if I win the lottery, I will NOT buy Clays but Ceramics!

Last edited:
CONCLUSION: I will keep those chips for the legend (and some rare cash games) but will use my CERAMICS instead for our numerous Sit & Go.
And if some day I want to rebuy some Chips, and even if I win the lottery, I will NOT buy Clays but Ceramics!

There are plenty of clay chips out there that are not weighted with metal flakes, and the majority of those do not have the oxidation problem that you show in your photos. I like ceramics, too, but I won't stop buying/recommending weighted clays because of this potential issue (which, like I said, is generally very rare).

This is an excellent question.

I figure a couple of easy things will keep them in check :

First, keep them out of unnecessary sunlight I figure. Can't be good for them to be soaking up UV rays...just can't be. This will prevent fading I think.

Secondly, no stacking on top of one another. Good racks keep pressure off chips underneath. I still don't own racks but it has been mentioned here before.

What is the best way to store chips so they don't oxidize?

I'm a bit unclear on this question you've asked. I suppose if there are metal slugs in your chips and there is enough moisture, then perhaps this could occur. I don't see clay chips oxidizing or reducing themselves on a molecular level. Maybe slugged chips...perhaps it's possible.

*Just realized this thread is 3 months old* :banghead:

I'm a bit unclear on this question you've asked. I suppose if there are metal slugs in your chips and there is enough moisture, then perhaps this could occur. I don't see clay chips oxidizing or reducing themselves on a molecular level. Maybe slugged chips...perhaps it's possible.

*Just realized this thread is 3 months old* :banghead:
ASM/CPC clay chips contain brass flakes for added weight (non-dayglo colors), and some Paulson clay chips also contain metal flakes (usually aluminum) for security purposes (usually only $25 denominations and higher). The exposed machined surfaces of the rolling edges can oxidize and turn the metallic particles black.

Oiling chips with mineral oil (and avoiding storage in high humidity) can help slow down the process.

I prefer to press my own olives straight off the plant, extract and process the extra virgin oil, and use that. Let's face it, it's the only "extra virgin" thing you're ever going to see in my part of town.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom