Where would you try to get a 3-year job as an expatriate in North America? (1 Viewer)

Where would you try to get a 3-year job as an expatriate in North America

• LA, USA

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Toronto, Canada

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coyote

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Just read the title and gimme some advice.
The aim is to have a good time, 'cause life is short, but also to save some money upon returning to Greece after 3 or 4 years.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Toronto, food is amazing there. Meh on LA. But LA is super close to visiting San Diego, Vegas, Grand Canyon, there an ocean, there are mountains, so I think the LA area is a better home base, hands down.
I may be biased, since I live here, but L.A. also has amazing food. Largest Korean community in the U.S. with all kinds of restaurants, not just KBBQ. Not quite as populous but an equally deep and wide range of Thai food. Tons of regional Mexican options, naturally, not just tacos (but also tacos)!

San Gabriel Valley has all different types of Chinese cuisine. Orange County for Vietnamese! Sawtelle/Little Tokyo/South Bay for Japanese. Westwood (a.k.a. Tehrangeles) for Persian. Glendale/Burbank for Armenian. Little Ethiopia. I could go on (and on)...

Just to clarify it's not going to be my choice.
Just asking to which direction to beg people who will be making the choice for me.
And it's getting quite clear.
Edit: Needless to say that if things go wrong it might not even be North America...

Just to clarify it's not going to be my choice.
Just asking to which direction to beg people who will be making the choice for me.
And it's getting quite clear.
Just insult Wayne Gretzsky and they won't let you into Canada.

You'd just need to hide from the old Kings fans here in L.A.

Just insult Wayne Gretzsky and they won't let you into Canada.

You'd just need to hide from the Kings fans here in L.A.
A friend of mine described anglophone Canada as "America at its best, with comprehensive healthcare and no stray gunmen".

My first thought was, even if housing is free, LA is expensive. But then again, so is Toronto.

If it was me, for a closed period, it'd be LA. Weather, mountains, ocean, proximity to Vegas...

I live in Toronto and would not recommend it. There’s nothing here and the cost of living is high. No legal poker either.

Vegas is a great option but depends on what skills you have / what you want to do for work.

I’m from Toronto - it’s a nice town, very multicultural, great food, music, theater. Winters are cold. Canadians are strange :p You can’t go too far wrong

Southern California, I don’t know what to expect, but the vibe of Toronto vs LA will be completely different.

Honestly these days I’d recommend living in Florida or Texas. You can always visit LA. I think there are a lot of Canadians in Toronto so that might be a factor to consider.

But sounds like a fun adventure wherever you decide to immigrate.

Knowing typical expat deals, I would pick LA purely for the climate. I think you'd have fun in either location as any big city will have plenty of stuff to keep you entertained. But I don't think you'd save much money. If you want to save money, come to Texas.

Knowing typical expat deals, I would pick LA purely for the climate. I think you'd have fun in either location as any big city will have plenty of stuff to keep you entertained. But I don't think you'd save much money. If you want to save money, come to Texas.
Not a choice currently, unfortunately.:(

+1 vote for LA. Nice weather, and I think you would enjoy the…scenery…a lot more.

Houston.

1644614527909.gif

L.A. is hit or miss. Depends on where you live and where you work. Commute would also be top of mind.
I'm making assumptions (no idea what you do for a living @Coyote), but if he doesn't have a choice between location, and lodging is free, then maybe this is a temporary/project-based corporate assignment? In which case, hopefully the provided housing would be in good proximity to the office.

Sure, California is a lot similar to Greece (climate-wise and earthquake-wise).
Again, a 10-hour difference, compared to a 7-hour difference from Toronto, is some negative factor when dealing with both professional and private practical affairs back at home.
Edit: Let alone the direct flight from Toronto to Athens, whereas you need 24hours to get from LA to your Athens home.

@TheOffalo sure the employer will make sure that the housing is close to the workplace.

If I "end up" in LA, however, I 'll do my utmost to persuade the competent airlines to establish a direct flight from LA to Athens:hearts:
The aircraft capable of doing that are already here.

LA is also a huge place. My sister "lives in LA" but the reality is that her house is in Tustin and work in Costa Mesa.

I'm assuming you'll be in Santa Monica. I don't know LA at all well, having only visited a few times but there are huge disparities between neighbourhoods, much the same as any city. If you're gonna be near Santa Monica then I believe it's on the nicer end.

LA is also a huge place. My sister "lives in LA" but the reality is that her house is in Tustin and work in Costa Mesa.

I'm assuming you'll be in Santa Monica. I don't know LA at all well, having only visited a few times but there are huge disparities between neighbourhoods, much the same as any city. If you're gonna be near Santa Monica then I believe it's on the nicer end.
I 'm supposed to live on the nicer end of any goddamn city.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom