Cash Game What should I use for a $20 buy in? (1 Viewer)

Sisu41

Pair
Reaction score
Trying to get a cash game going at school. I have a lot of chips, and I'm planning on dividing each chip value by 100. So each person will get 2000 chips. How should I divvy them up? 6 players max

Trying to get a cash game going at school. I have a lot of chips, and I'm planning on dividing each chip value by 100. So each person will get 2000 chips. How should I divvy them up? 6 players max
You will not need 2000 chips, which is good news! @louBdub dropped a great link; I have a 1200 set that can handle everything from 5c/10cent to small $1/2 games. If your game needs more growth then that you probably won't be buying nickels lol.

No worries, spend some time on here and read on chip breakdowns. We've spent lots of time answering these questions.

EDIT: Disregard some of that nonsense above lol. What's the chip breakdown? How many of each color? Usually I start my players with a barrel of the lowest, barrel of the next highest, then fill out the rest, but people do it differently. For 5cent/10cent, I do 20 nickels, 20 quarters, then dollars, but for $1/2 I just give 10 $1s and the rest in $5s.

Last edited:
By 2000 chips I meant a total value of 2000, I have Barney’s and Pumpkins so I’ll be fine

You will not need 2000 chips, which is good news! @louBdub dropped a great link; I have a 1200 set that can handle everything from 5c/10cent to small $1/2 games. If your game needs more growth then that you probably won't be buying nickels lol.

No worries, spend some time on here and read on chip breakdowns. We've spent lots of time answering these questions.

I think they meant 2000 in chips, divided by 100 for a $20 buy-in.

I do this with one of my sets, but I tell everyone "just pretend the dollar sign is a cents sign" for the people that aren't good with the maffs. OP mentioned school, so saying divide by 100 will most likely be OK with these ejamacated players ;)

For $20 buy ins we'll assume your big blind is .20 (giving each player 100 BBs to start) or .25 (giving each player 80 BBs which is fine for recreational players). Make sure people bring 3 buy ins for the night minimum so the game doesn't break (like if 2 players bust out). I would probably go with .25/.25 blinds, and plan for a $25 max buy in. My entire bank should equal:

Max buy in amount ($25) x 3 buy ins x number of players. The maffs works out to $450, but make it a little more just in case...

Don't worry about starting stacks...just distribute all your blind and workhorse chips first, use your value chips for rebuys and ask the big stacks to make change. That link for chip breakdowns is good. Generally you want a rack of blind chips (quarters) lots of workhorse chips ($1s), and a rack of rebuy chips ($5s and maybe $20/$25 if you're on a tight budget).

Good luck with your game!

5c x 20
25c x 20
$1 x 14
problem is I need more greens and blacks. I can buy a new set

I do this with one of my sets, but I tell everyone "just pretend the dollar sign is a cents sign" for the people that aren't good with the maffs. OP mentioned school, so saying divide by 100 will most likely be OK with these ejamacated players ;)

For $20 buy ins we'll assume your big blind is .20 (giving each player 100 BBs to start) or .25 (giving each player 80 BBs which is fine for recreational players). Make sure people bring 3 buy ins for the night minimum so the game doesn't break (like if 2 players bust out). I would probably go with .25/.25 blinds, and plan for a $25 max buy in. My entire bank should equal:

Max buy in amount ($25) x 3 buy ins x number of players. The maffs works out to $450, but make it a little more just in case...

Don't worry about starting stacks...just distribute all your blind and workhorse chips first, use your value chips for rebuys and ask the big stacks to make change. That link for chip breakdowns is good. Generally you want a rack of blind chips (quarters) lots of workhorse chips ($1s), and a rack of rebuy chips ($5s and maybe $20/$25 if you're on a tight budget).

Good luck with your game!
I have that much in chips but bad denoms

Brace Yourself Real Housewives Of Atlanta GIF by Bravo TV

I have that much in chips but bad denoms

What is the breakdown of your current set? And what is the smallest chip? You can definitely get away with fewer than 20 per player for the small denominations. 10-15 per player is perfectly adequate, less than 10 starts to get tight and making change will be more frequent.

What is the breakdown of your current set? And what is the smallest chip? You can definitely get away with fewer than 20 per player for the small denominations. 10-15 per player is perfectly adequate, less than 10 starts to get tight and making change will be more frequent.
50 black 100 green

50 black 100 green

Do you plan to do 25/25 blinds or something smaller using the 5s?

You have enough quarters for a full table, but you are pretty light on blacks (singles). You could give it a try it should work alright 6 max.

Or if you don't plan on using nickel value chips, you could use 1s and 5s actual value, and just scale the greens to act as quarters and play .25/.25

Last edited:
What is the breakdown of your current set? Do they have denominations printed on them (I assume yes)? Are you planning to play hold'em (I assume yes)?

This thread is a few weeks old, so I'm not sure if you still need help. But here is some just in case someone comes across this thread and is in a similar scenario:

We'd really be able to help you out more if you just gave us the full breakdown of what you have. (How many of each color/denomination)

It's hard to tell by your comments exactly what you have. But if you don't have enough chips, and don't want to spend much money at the moment... I'd recommend getting on a resale place, like Facebook market place, and just search "poker chips"

You can find a 300+ set of dice chips (multi colored, and usually no denomination on them) for $5-$25 depending on the seller. They're usually titled something like "good quality poker chips" (lol)

As far as chip quality goes, they're near the bottom of the barrel. But they're functional and if you're in need of cheap chips quickly these will do the trick.

If you don't get more chips:
It's hard to recommend starting stacks without knowing the actual amount of chips you have. But I'll give it a shot anyways. For a $20 buy in, 6max, cash, with extremely limited chips, id recommend the following:

25¢/25¢ blinds:
8x 25¢
13 or 18x $1
0 or 1x $5

Rebuy with whatever you have. Can't be picky when you only have 2-3 denominations.

If you only have 2 different colored chips, you could also go to the bank and buy a roll or 2 of quarters, then use them on the table instead of 25¢ chips. You could do the same with nickels roo and play 5¢/10¢ blinds if you really wanted, but I wouldn't recommend it.

This setup is very far from ideal, but should get the job done.

Again, I'd recommend just spending a few dollars on second hand dice chips for extremely cheap and then you can avoid this whole mess and have much more flexibility in your stakes/stacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom