Tourney What is the appeal of "tag-team" tournaments? (1 Viewer)

JustinInMN

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I don't get the appeal of tag-team tournaments. I don't see how poker benefits with partnerships. I play poker because I assume I am a favorite in any game I play. Why do I need to partner with someone who is at best the second best player I know?

Looking around for that extra-large black cowboy hat I saw earlier....

Fun.

Yep, poker is fun. Fun with a friend that you don't have to go through to win. Fun if you have to go through a friend too, but I can certainly see an appeal in playing with a group that buys in/wins together. Kind of like buying a stake, except you also get a turn - unless your friend gets felted before you are up.

I agree. I don’t see the fun in sitting around for half the time while your friend played your stack.
I guess I’ve heard of some tournaments where each partner plays their own stack, then at some point they’re combined or something. That sounds better, but still, if I’m sitting around not playing at any point, that’s not much fun.
Though I’ve also heard of situations where they’ll switch partners in the middle of a hand. That could be funny.

I agree. I don't get it. However, if you were allowed to actually talk strategy with a partner even during a hand I think that could be more interesting than just taking turns playing.

tumblr_m912awpT3V1ru1wbho6_250.gif

This is the major downside I can't square.
Is that any different than practically any other bet?
  • Financially backing another player
  • Sports betting
  • A roll in craps where someone else is the shooter
  • Roulette
The list goes on. Most betting involves putting money down and they watching to see if you win or lose.

At least with a partner, you have a modicum of influence. You pick your team. You coach your team. Noting opponents who are tight or loose, and their hand ranges. Notes can be taken and shared. 3-4 player teams have plenty of time to discuss what they see. Team scouts can get a range on opponents that are at different tables, giving your team an advantage when tables condense.

They do not allow discussions in a hand, but with 3-4 player teams, there is plenty of time for discussion and opponent identification. 2 player teams have less time, but can be done between hands.

On that list, the one thing I do admit to having an interest in sports wagering, but at least there isn't much time commitment in that. The appeal in backing another player is to be relieved of the time commitment (if I stake a guy for 100 hours in a profitable game, then I am free to use that 100 hours in another profitable game), being a partner in a tag team tournament doesn't do that. I guess I can see the consulting thing being beneficial in bigger teams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom