What is the Allure of Leaded Chips?? (2 Viewers)

nerds GIF

Lead was added to chips only to improve some colors and facilitate technological processes. Lead don't affect anything else. Well, maybe they add a little weight. It does not have any significant effect on the sound and feel of the chip. NO WAY!!! But the mold (or rather the depth of the hole in the center of the chip) has a profound effect! I once conducted an experiment with my Horseshoes... I chose from a set 10 pieces with small remnants of cross-hatching and 10 chips on which it remained and was clearly visible.... The difference in the height of the stack was 0.5 mm (per 10 chips) . That is, 0.05 mm per chip.. Almost negligible... But all my friends, whom I asked to listen to the sound of shuffling chips, said that they heard a certain difference and were able to distinguish them.

Attachments

• IMG_20231106_213202.jpg
    IMG_20231106_213202.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20231106_213217.jpg
    IMG_20231106_213217.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20231106_213231.jpg
    IMG_20231106_213231.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 54
Lead don't affect anything else. Well, maybe they add a little weight. It does not have any significant effect on the sound and feel of the chip. NO WAY!!!

I would disagree. All the members here who have gone to leaded THC and never looked back at RHC (pictured above) did so for reasons. I haven’t seen anyone prefer unleaded to leaded when given the choice.

Lead was added to chips only to improve some colors and facilitate technological processes. Lead don't affect anything else. Well, maybe they add a little weight. It does not have any significant effect on the sound and feel of the chip. NO WAY!!! But the mold (or rather the depth of the hole in the center of the chip) has a profound effect! I once conducted an experiment with my Horseshoes... I chose from a set 10 pieces with small remnants of cross-hatching and 10 chips on which it remained and was clearly visible.... The difference in the height of the stack was 0.5 mm (per 10 chips) . That is, 0.05 mm per chip.. Almost negligible... But all my friends, whom I asked to listen to the sound of shuffling chips, said that they heard a certain difference and were able to distinguish them.
It was common practice at the time for plastics. They weren’t looking for ways to make “the best feeling or sounding” chip. They were using materials that were commonly used, and adding things to make them more stable and cheaper to produce. Like rag pulp (fibers) for example, although I suspect they were using something a bit more common and free. Here’s the main reasons they used lead compounds at the time. Colors and stabilizer - to minimize shrinkage when the product cooled.

“An additional source of legacy Pb that has received less attention is historical plastic or plastic that has been recycled from historical plastic. Lead was commonly used in a range of plastics as a series of chromate pigments and in polyvinyl chloride as a heat and UV stabiliser”

Source

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030438942032121X

I would disagree. All the members here who have gone to leaded THC and never looked back at RHC (pictured above) did so for reasons. I haven’t seen anyone prefer unleaded to leaded when given the choice.
Look at the tigers and princesses. People love unleaded THC! Even though they are very close in weight to CPC (especially without labels). And I ask myself, what does lead have to do with it?
For me, this story is just a joke. Do not misunderstand me. I like to play with my chips, but if you look at this story soberly, there is not a single clear evidence of the "usefulness" of lead for chips.

Look at the tigers and princesses. People love unleaded THC! Even though they are very close in weight to CPC (especially without labels). And I ask myself, what does lead have to do with it?
For me, this story is just a joke. Do not misunderstand me. I like to play with my chips, but if you look at this story soberly, there is not a single clear evidence of the "usefulness" of lead for chips.
While I love my tigers...they are no match for vintage textured & shaped inlay leaded stuff.

And you forgot one major factor...wear
Leaded chips age much MUCH better then current formula in same conditions.

Ps. the reason why members love tigers & princesses is because of colors & spots + THC

Don't forget about leaded RHC's...while they are short in supply, they are imho the best bargains out there (and BCC chips ;) )

You're conflating variables. Just because people love something does not mean they love every part of it. Of course we can love unleaded THC, that doesnt mean we would prefer them to be so. Why do you think so many people want leaded chips? No one is arguing that we hate unleaded THC.

And we're a forum that spends thousands on gambling toys, 'usefulness' is very low in our priorities.

While I love my tigers...they are no match for vintage textured & shaped inlay leaded stuff.

And you forgot one major factor...wear
Leaded chips age much MUCH better then current formula in same conditions.
You are absolutely right. But for me the mold, colors and label are more important than some ghostly lead. And I can't compare chips with and without lead, since they are all different. We're just talking about different chips. If there was a batch of vintage chips with lead and another batch produced at the same time, without lead...
Then I could compare them.

I tried to find out by reading all the pages of this post, but I never found a single convincing reason...
I really love my Aztar set though. I don't know why... :wtf:
I like bronze and aluminum flakes + ultraviolet in them better.
I was also trying to work out why leaded was sought.
At first thought it was to avoid brass or other metals that can oxidize and discolour chips. But contra to this I expected lead was to be avoided due to toxicity. No one seems worried about that.
Found this thread quite educational. Didn't expect such strong lead link to quality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom