What food should I have? (1 Viewer)

I usually put out chip/snack mix and pretzels, tell my guests to BYOB/mixers, and I offer up any beer or alcohol that I have. We’ve ordered pizza a few times.

I host 2-3 times per year and we generally have only played for 4-6 hours. I don’t rake my game, take tips, or expect people to donate to “the house” so I don’t feel overly obligated to do provide a whole lot either.

Hot dogs, but I’ll tell you why.
1. They’re cheap
2. They’re easy
3. People like them
4. They’re not messy (or they shouldn’t be, Chicago!)
5. No plates or utensils needed
6. No need to stop the game - people can jump up and eat one quick, or bring one back to the table, and unless they’re a disgusting mustard baby, they won’t be making a mess.

Hot dogs, but I’ll tell you why.
1. They’re cheap
2. They’re easy
3. People like them
4. They’re not messy (or they shouldn’t be, Chicago!)
5. No plates or utensils needed
6. No need to stop the game - people can jump up and eat one quick, or bring one back to the table, and unless they’re a disgusting mustard baby, they won’t be making a mess.
You just want to justify that hot dog warmer you got

7. Issa sammich
Correct and I have proof.
IMG_5417.jpeg

Pizza is an easy one. No food at the table though. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Simple and easy to clean up?
-Pizza
-In n Out
-Chinese

Fancy and feeling guilty because you hit a 1 outer to scoop a big one during the last meet up?
-Sushi

my table time varies, I may go a month only play twice or I may play 5 times a week.

I loathe pizza and or hotdogs. Most of the games I play in are raked. I typically smoke pork or a brisket for my game, or smoke brats. I do have one player that really appreciates breakfast food, so on occasion I do that, the bacon goes fast but I put it and sausage out, it’s one of the less expensive meals and you can use crockpots. You can also pick up crock pot meals in a bag and they are cheap and typically good.

my table time varies, I may go a month only play twice or I may play 5 times a week.

I loathe pizza and or hotdogs. Most of the games I play in are raked. I typically smoke pork or a brisket for my game, or smoke brats. I do have one player that really appreciates breakfast food, so on occasion I do that, the bacon goes fast but I put it and sausage out, it’s one of the less expensive meals and you can use crockpots. You can also pick up crock pot meals in a bag and they are cheap and typically good.
Yea. A crockpot of Lloyd’s bbq with some Hawaiian rolls is easy but can be messy. :)

For most of my home games, I usually have snacks like chips,
Pretzels, Party Mix as the stapple. I'll have a cheese and meat tray (Salami-Pepperoni) and a large Shrimp tray with the seafood sauce in the middle of the round tray once in awhile. All that is easy, and not messy.
We will do Pizza once in awhile, but we will do that prior to starting the session at 6:30PM-11:30
I offer all drink and food on the house, but if we do Pizza, we all chip in for that.
I have snack slide out tray holders under my table to keep light snacks off the table.

Attachments

• 20221109_155132.jpg
    20221109_155132.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I usually pick up a ~20 pack of individual variety chips, a veggie tray, water/soda, and sometimes some simple cookies to bake. They might be a little messier than some people here like (Dorito fingers), but I've never had a problem with it. I tell people BYOB and if anyone asks my what they can bring I tell them to bring a non-messy snack or their favorite candy to share if they want.

I'll usually let everyone know ahead of time if I'm serving dinner, which 9/10 times its a couple pizzas.

I keep trying to find meals that use utensils but it’s hard. Just so hands can’t get greasy. Chili and pasta / Mac n cheese.

Going to try a smoked pork/brisket mashed potatoe Mac n cheese bowl maybe next!

I only offer light snacks.

Friends (no obligation) will bring wings, queso w/beef and other snacks. We play slightly after dinner (730ish).

Step 1: find a wife
Step 2: pop out some kids
Step 3: wait 5-6 years
Step 4: host poker game

Sure you can order pizza, bbq, cook up some killer meat, etc.

But what about when it’s 2 am and your attendees are hammered or floating on the moon with the munchies and all that food is gone?

Simply open the pantry! Snack boxes, craisins, nuts, graham crackers, marshmallows, cheez its, hot cocoa, skittles, cinnamon bread, apple pops, and much much more.

Or I guess you can just grocery shop and fill a pantry on your own, but it doesn’t hit the same as raiding some poor child’s lunch snacks. Plus you don’t have to feel guilty as a 30 year old man making s’mores or eating gushers, it’s all there was!

Hmmmm what else have we learned through the years?

1. If everyone says they aren’t hungry, they’re lying. Order/bring the food and it will all get eaten.

2. If everyone says they aren’t hungry, and you don’t bring food, they will start yelling for food at 1/2 am after everything has already closed.

3. If you are ordering food, don’t hand your phone to Chris to order. He will literally order 3 extra large and 1 large pizzas for, again, literally 7 people.

E65BC80D-5007-4DD2-9B0A-1EF2103A91E8.png

4. See number 1 and number 2. And apologize to Chris after the 7 of you eat all the pizzas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom