What do we think about a no run it twice rule? Run it three times or run it once! (1 Viewer)

For a long time no one ever ran it more than once at my games but lately it's been coming up more and I personally like it. Lesser swings and generally happier players. Most scoops happen deservingly so, and getting sucked out on the first board feels less bad when you win the second. I personally prefer three because someone wins money and that's what poker hands are about. I can understand the sentiment about chopping slowing things down but ultimately we are playing for fun and if it becomes a problem in your game just enforce a rule that you can't do it in tiny pots with small all ins. If I'm in a hand where the pot is 600bbs+ and people are complaining they can pound sand. Not their money.

I can understand the sentiment about chopping slowing things down but ultimately we are playing for fun and if it becomes a problem in your game just enforce a rule that you can't do it in tiny pots with small all ins. If I'm in a hand where the pot is 600bbs+ and people are complaining they can pound sand. Not their money.
That’s exactly where I am Mo, with the “waste of time” business. A decent dealer can probably chop a pot three ways instead of two with less than ten seconds extra. Yeah, a drunken doof might take an extra minute. Either way, every PCFers game I’ve been to has been run pretty efficiently. If this happens once or twice a night, is it that big of a deal?

I agree with bb parameters, so shouldn't come up often in a night of playing. If its a few times a night, then what's the big deal? Does that change the flow of the game for you somehow? Are you wound that tight that an extra minute, or two, to run a second or third board, going to tilt you? If so, then maybe playing home game poker isn't for you. There could be larger issues at play than just running an extra board.

That’s exactly where I am Mo, with the “waste of time” business. A decent dealer can probably chop a pot three ways instead of two with less than ten seconds extra. Yeah, a drunken doof might take an extra minute. Either way, every PCFers game I’ve been to has been run pretty efficiently. If this happens once or twice a night, is it that big of a deal?
4 way action, 3 times can be quartered; Its not on the dealer really, you have so much movement of chips and distractions. You might be talking about baseball, but you say something and dealer has to process it, everyone is talking it can be difficult to focus. Then you have to know which 1/2 gets the extra chip because its typically going with the quarter 1/2 but then if you have an extra it goes left of button, and some guys just shouted hey, so you look to see what they need... its a circus at times. It takes time to grow into split pot games as a dealer. I don't mind running it multiple times, the dealer will take a little time; but this is why I don't really like playing hi/lo games.

Technically you can get quartered 2 times with 2 people ....

This thread has been good for me, helped me come to a life changing decision, no more split pots on a rerun. I'll agree to 3 runs, two out of three takes the pot!

4 way action, 3 times can be quartered; Its not on the dealer really, you have so much movement of chips and distractions. You might be talking about baseball, but you say something and dealer has to process it, everyone is talking it can be difficult to focus. Then you have to know which 1/2 gets the extra chip because its typically going with the quarter 1/2 but then if you have an extra it goes left of button, and some guys just shouted hey, so you look to see what they need... its a circus at times. It takes time to grow into split pot games as a dealer. I don't mind running it multiple times, the dealer will take a little time; but this is why I don't really like playing hi/lo games.

Right. So everybody’s game is different, and mine is still all Holdem at this point. I never have to worry about anybody getting quartered and I rarely see all-ins with more than two players.
But yes, I’ve played the fun games and I see how much of a nightmare 3 times would be in a multi-way split pot game. Totally fair.

In my game, the rule is the pot needs to be at least 200 BB.

Another issue with "opening this up" - we've got some guys who only run it once, and then a couple guys who don't understand the ettiquette of not picking and choosing when and who you go twice vs. once against. (I know it's stupid as it doesn't really matter, but some players get really offended when someone picks and chooses their spots and take it personally.)

Personally, I prefer 3 times logically, but it does slow the game down and makes pot splitting much more tedious.

Def agree with 200BB, we aren't running it twice for a 20BB pot just because you don't want to reload.

And good point re: picking and choosing. I've seen it get heated when Player A decides (after running it twice all night) that they aren't going to run it twice this one time against Player B.....

multiple side pots, the shortest stack only wanting to run it once, etc. etc. We'll still do it multi way - but don't get into the business of the short stack running once but the big stacks running it multiple times. Either everyone agrees, or we don't do it.

Running it multiple times should be an agreement among the players still left in the hand. How many times they wish to run it does not affect the other players, except for the extra time spent.

I used to have a house rule that say you cannot run it multiple times if you suck at chopping pots, but I removed it because it was never relevant since players who want to run it more than once are usually pretty good at dividing the pot.

Def agree with 200BB, we aren't running it twice for a 20BB pot just because you don't want to reload.

And good point re: picking and choosing. I've seen it get heated when Player A decides (after running it twice all night) that they aren't going to run it twice this one time against Player B.....
People are entitled to run it once one time and twice the next regardless of whether they do it against player A and then player B.

Up to the players.

No steaming.

People are entitled to run it once one time and twice the next regardless of whether they do it against player A and then player B.

Up to the players.

No steaming.
Entitled sure. But yoy can't dictate players won't steam - some get really pissed about the situational/personal choosing.

Entitled sure. But yoy can't dictate players won't steam - some get really pissed about the situational/personal choosing.
Agreed. At our game though it’s well understood that you can one way one time and another way another time.

I’ve become sort of a one time guy as of late aka Barry Greenstein but I’m still prone to letting it go twice. Also depends what street we’re on.

Bottom line don’t outwardly steam. Repeatedly, you’ll fall to the wait list and I fill the table twice a week.

We tried this Friday night for the first time and it was fine, though I don’t believe it helped me.
First time, when I reraised @sheikh617 all-in on the turn and he snap called, I knew I was in trouble so I went for 3. Then we opened them up and it turned out I was drawing dead. We ran it 3 times anyway but it didn’t help. But the strength of my hand was well disguised!!!
Second time, I was ahead of @jpietrella and neither of us cared so I chose once and he hit it. I believe the fellas may have rabbit hunted the other two but I tried not to pay attention.
And then the third time I was against @sheikh617 again. This time I was ahead, but he had every out in the deck. We went three. I won the first and last the lost two.

So I like it in theory. It practice, it was almost maximum pain for me. But it was just one of those night where I wasn’t catching many breaks.

We tried this Friday night for the first time and it was fine, though I don’t believe it helped me.
First time, when I reraised @sheikh617 all-in on the turn and he snap called, I knew I was in trouble so I went for 3. Then we opened them up and it turned out I was drawing dead. We ran it 3 times anyway but it didn’t help. But the strength of my hand was well disguised!!!
Second time, I was ahead of @jpietrella and neither of us cared so I chose once and he hit it. I believe the fellas may have rabbit hunted the other two but I tried not to pay attention.
And then the third time I was against @sheikh617 again. This time I was ahead, but he had every out in the deck. We went three. I won the first and last the lost two.

So I like it in theory. It practice, it was almost maximum pain for me. But it was just one of those night where I wasn’t catching many breaks.
Yeah I think it was more a case of the run bad rather than the three times fucking you. The drawing dead one can’t even be factored in as no runs change the outcome of that hand, but the one where I had the nut flush with two overs with a inside straight was toooooough to fade haha. I had a game at my house last night and we mostly ran it three unless it was a small pot and again I liked the outcomes. Ultimately the goal is to reduce massive swings and it 100% accomplishes that, at the very least.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom