Well I've Had An Eventful Memorial Day Weekend (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Ordered up some parts for a Hello-Kitty themed PC mod I'm building for my wife. Placed staggered orders as items were on sale, etc.

FRIDAY

Get home from work early. While home receive emails from Newegg notifying me packages have been delivered. Check both our entrances, no packages are there. Check with neighbors, they haven't received anything either.

Contact FedEx and Newegg to notify them of the issue.

SATURDAY

Come home from running errands to find four of our shipments have arrived, including the two missing from yesterday. However, both missing packages have been opened!!!

The first package is an Asus monitor, and it's missing one of the cords you need to plug it in, so can't be used.

The second package is even worse. The packing slip shows four items:

Gigabyte Designare Motherboard Z270
Intel Kayblake i5 7600K
Windows 10 Software
GSkill Trident RGB 16GB of RAM

Inside only the motherboard box and the packing slip are there. The box was resealed by using the cardboard flaps to close it back up, no tape or anything. When we look in the motherboard box someone has opened it up, taken the board out of it's anti-static wrap and removed the protective cover where the CPU goes that protects the pins from being bent.

blocked.jpg

20170527_152901.jpg

Immediately contact Newegg to make them aware of the issue. But of course it's a holiday weekend so going to delay things a bit.

Fortunately my wife's new motherboard had a special online where you get a free computer case with it. It's not the case we'll be using for her build, but I can at least spend the weekend transferring our current system into it and turning it into my Police mod.

Of course, the universe isn't nearly done kicking me in the nuts.

First I put the power supply in the normal way, not realizing that this particular case wants you to put it in upside down with the vent fan facing up.

This is the first PC case I've had with a PSU shroud and it's very tight, so it's a real bitch to get the PSU back out so I can flip it around and line up the holes outside to screw it in place.

Then I get the whole system built and power it up. It powers up immediately, all the lights come on and I'm feeling good. Until the monitor shows no signal.

I then proceed to go through a gazillion troubleshooting steps to no avail:

Removing RAM sticks, going with the motherboard graphics connection instead of my graphics card, unplugging everything that isn't essential to see if I can get a post screen to appear, clearing the CMOS, taking the motherboard out of the case to see if something in the case was shorting it, etc.

Nothing is working to correct the issue. I take my computer out to the living room and hook it up to the tv, suddenly I get it to display!

Back into the computer room and hook up to the monitor, nothing. I then take the monitor out to our living room and hook it up to the media PC, nothing. W....T....F, did my monitor magically die on me right when I was transferring the PC components into a new case? That's fucking oddly coincidental (and confusing since you'll generally troubleshoot pieces inside the case that got moved as the most likely culprits)

So then I double check the DVI cable between the monitor and media PC, and discover the connection behind the monitor is loose! I push that sucker in tighter and get it to display!

EUREKA, I'M SAVED! I laugh at the simplicity of it all, having gone through all the more complicated troubleshooting steps that involved lots of disconnecting and rerouting of wires and cables.

Back into the computer room I consider testing my PC on the monitor just in case, but think "fuck that shit, I already wasted enough time on this" and start putting the computer back together, managing the cables to be as neat as possible, etc.

Of course I turn it on, the lights come on, the fans spin, no beep codes from the motherboard, but again the fucking display isn't showing me jack!

WTF Universe?

I wind up changing the DVI cable and that seems to correct it. Then later on while I'm starting to type into Google search the computer hangs up and the screen goes black! ARGH!

For the rest of today I've had the system working and not working. Best guess at this point is it's some issue with the motherboard or the power supply.

I've checked the windows error logs but they don't provide anything specific to help me nail down the specific cause. In the interim, it appears to be working ok for the moment. It's an older system (about 5 years old) but I've upgraded it with various components throughout the years and it still does fine at 1080p gaming so hoping it will just behave.

Also somehow managed to not kick puppies or put holes in the walls while going through this grief all weekend. Working very hard on my tilt control

Created a thread with some pics and video of the Police Mod here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/police-mod-for-my-pc.20672/

Good grief. Or as Karen often says to me when I'm detailing a story, "Well, so long as you are having fun." :)

....So then I double check the DVI cable between the monitor and media PC, and discover the connection behind the monitor is loose! I push that sucker in tighter and get it to display!

EUREKA, I'M SAVED! I laugh at the simplicity of it all, having gone through all the more complicated troubleshooting steps that involved lots of disconnecting and rerouting of wires and cables.

There's a lesson there... :cool:

Chances are the motherboard is damaged

No cover over the CPU socket is really bad, good luck with your RMA (my guess is the motherboard then PSU, RAM in that order)

I hope your Windows 10 key wasn't stolen

I'm having better luck than you, and splashed out on an additional 8 WD RED 3TB drives over the weekend for my server

Have Fun

Chances are the motherboard is damaged

No cover over the CPU socket is really bad, good luck with your RMA (my guess is the motherboard then PSU, RAM in that order)

I hope your Windows 10 key wasn't stolen

I'm having better luck than you, and splashed out on an additional 8 WD RED 3TB drives over the weekend for my server

Have Fun

The opened shipment is separate from the PC display issue

The motherboard that is missing the cover isn't installed yet, still have more components on the way for the build

The issue with the display kicking out is from our old computer that I transferred into a new case

It behaved for hours last night so will see if the issue crops up again

I feel your pain. Last week I bought 2 6TB NAS drives to add to my media server. First disk sync'd then I waited a day and inserted the 2nd disk, 28 hours later the system was fully redundant and sync'd. 21.35TB usable. Then 24 hours later the 1st new disk drops off the system......
So now I'm running at a degraded RAID level until I get the RMA from Newegg. I did go out and buy an 8TB external just to copy my data but I'm sitting at 8.04TB used and the drive only holds 7.28TB after format....... :( but it's ok, I backed up what was most critical.
Next step will be resync'ing the new disk, hoping that everything holds together for the 27-28 hours to complete.........
Good luck with your builds!
nitzilla

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom