Weird stains on KEM cards (1 Viewer)

littletuna4

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hi there,
I bought 2 decks of KEM arrow cards in 2018. One pack has remained unopened and the other has been barely used over the last few years but has developed some unexplained red and purple stains (which unfortunately I can't upload a picture of). Anyone know why they're there or how to remove them? I think its from finger oils sitting on them maybe?
Thanks in advance.

Are they on the face of the card, the back of the card, or both?

Both

Attachments

• F084B2CF-014C-4907-B0EA-53C8F7A9017A.jpeg
    F084B2CF-014C-4907-B0EA-53C8F7A9017A.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 124
Two questions:

1. What type of chips are you using? Some ceramics bleed (especially reds), and it could be transfer from chips-to-fingers-to-cards.
2. What type of food has been served during games while the cards have been used? Many red foods stain, as do those that contain red dye.

EDIT: okay, more questions. Any female players in your group? Could be lipstick, or hair dye. How about kids? Any chance they've been playing with the cards without your knowledge?

I've had plastic cards stain twice in the past. Once from ink transfer from chips, the other from dye transfer from the felt. Neither was fingerprints, though.

Try wet (water) cosmetic pad.
If won't work try heavly diluted cleaning detergent.
Try gently rub stained surface.

Two questions:

1. What type of chips are you using? Some ceramics bleed (especially reds), and it could be transfer from chips-to-fingers-to-cards.
2. What type of food has been served during games while the cards have been used? Many red foods stain, as do those that contain red dye.

EDIT: okay, more questions. Any female players in your group? Could be lipstick, or hair dye. How about kids? Any chance they've been playing with the cards without your knowledge?

I've had plastic cards stain twice in the past. Once from ink transfer from chips, the other from dye transfer from the felt. Neither was fingerprints, though.
Thanks for the tips!
1. Yeah some red and some blue ceramic chips
2. No food that I can think of other than maybe some potato chips
3. Yeah some female players so maybe...
4. Haha, my felt's green
5. No kids haha

The only thing that makes me feel any of those suggestions unlikely the fact that the stains developed over a period of a few months in which I had the cards in storage untouched. When I came back to them they were stained.

Thanks again :) really appreciate your time

Try wet (water) cosmetic pad.
If won't work try heavly diluted cleaning detergent.
Try gently rub stained surface.
Yeah I've tried this :(
I'm curious on peoples recomendation/opinion as to more agressive solvents? Will dilute alcohol damage the cellulose acetate cards at all?

I think my first attempt to clean would be with a damp Magic Eraser.

Just put a wanted ad for replacement cards. I’m sure some of us have dozens of these decks laying around, they aren’t that uncommon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom