Video Projector - DLP or LCD? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading my video projector for background entertainment (movies, sports) on poker nights, and keeping my TV monitor dedicated as a blinds monitor.

I don't need a super bright projector, but I do need to overpower ambient and overhead lighting (which is where my current projector struggles). I've narrowed it down to a couple of models: an Optoma DLP and a Samsung 3LCD. It seems like opinions vary widely between the tech... with folks saying the DLP has darker blacks and richer colors, but can have rainbow artifacting, while LCD has no "rainbowing" issues, but colors and blacks are less striking (and more washed out).

Does anyone have any experience with these two types of projectors (DLP and LCD)? Any comments/advice on the models below?

Thank you in advance!

Optoma HD142X 1080p 3000 Lumens 3D DLP Home Theater Projector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQCF6R6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_do3BzbGXZE690

Epson Home Cinema 2045 1080p 3D Miracast 3LCD Home Theater Projector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YKVSMG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3o3Bzb5XKX0R2

Last edited:
You're in the right ballpark, Epson and Optoma are the 2 brands I buy at work for my users. :)

Personally I've always preferred DLP over LCD. I'm currently running two DLP projectors in my basement (plus a third for occasional outdoor movies). I've had a couple LCD projectors in the past and could just never quite achieve the look (both color and blacks) that I could with similarly priced DLP projectors. Now that said, I am aware that LCD projectors have improved dramatically since I used to spend some time on various projector forums (seriously).

In terms of rainbows, it's somewhat overblown as an issue IMO. If you personally have an issue seeing rainbows, then I might consider that a factor. But with a sufficiently fast color wheel, it's seldom an issue for the vast majority of people.

I'll take a closer look at those model later when I have a few minutes and respond back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom