Value of early-to-mid 1900s FDL "paranoid" chips in quantity? (1 Viewer)

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
we recently discussed chips of this era in Dr Strange's thread here. now i'm actually looking to pick some of the FDLs up. i found a guy who has them in quantity and will be negotiating a price, but i really don't have a good idea of where i should end up.

recently sold eBay auctions are a bit scattered to put it modestly. a lot of 270 went for $37 shipped, but racks have sold for $62 shipped. then there are smaller lots, the selling prices of which are even less helpful. robert eisenstadt has for sale on his site sets of chips of this type with monograms or different graphics, but obviously they are all quite a bit rarer and therefore not helpful for pricing. perhaps i'll email robert to see if he could give me an idea.

anyone around here have a handle on the value of these chips?

fwiw eisenstadt responded that he thought $.50 each shipped was reasonable when sold by the rack but that i should expect some discount in quantity of 500 or 1000. the trouble of course is what that discount should be. $50 per rack seems quite high to me in that quantity.

$60 seems pricey, but rack quantities of single colors and designs are pretty rare by my estimate. Maybe go with $30-$40/rack plus shipping? Here's the listing from when I bought my partial mixed rack:

http://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/189-misc-crest-and-seal-generics.6130/

yeah $30 per rack seems more in line with what i was thinking, but i guess we'll see what the seller's asking price is once he gets his stock together and quantified.

My rules:

* I might not buy a splashed pot of single chips even for a nickel each unless I want something specific. There are a lot of different chips out there.
* I'll buy almost anything for 10 cents a chip knowing that mostly these will become "orphans". Still looking for near rack quantities - not a mishmash.
* Mostly my goal is $0.25 or less per chip. Keep in mind these are not rare due to low production but rare because they are scattered so widely.
* I'll buy things I really want maybe up to 50 cents a chip.
* The racks often add value. Some of those are 75-100 years old. Not so much if they are plastic.

I can't say I might not go crazy for the perfect offering but even 50 cents is pushing the price envelope.

Ya'll stay away from my auctions - go for the Paulson, ceramic and TRK stuff.

DrStrange

ended up negotiating the seller to .25 each including shipping with the following breakdown:

210 (blue)
400 (white)
160 (red)
160 (yellow)
210 (chocolate)

plus another 60 chips mixed including yellow, blue, and chocolate. after i receive and confirm breakdown, i will be posting a WTB here for more red (with the hope of getting lots more eventually...) and maybe yellow.

Not even a teaser picture? You do know there are a vast variety of these chips so we can't hardly guess which ones your found.

Nice catch whatever they were (unless they came from a dealer in Houston - which means you got the ones I was chasing.)

DrStrange

Not even a teaser picture? You do know there are a vast variety of these chips so we can't hardly guess which ones your found.

Nice catch whatever they were (unless they came from a dealer in Houston - which means you got the ones I was chasing.)

DrStrange

sorry for no teaser:

eUBsiLg.jpg

see thread here where i'm trying to figure out how to use these things.

and, doc, if you've got reds that match those above, i'd be very interested in talking purchase or trade. i could let go of some chocolates, blues or yellows.

I like that your chips have no ce square edges. Some of these chips have rounded edges and look more plastic like to me. Looking forward to your review. Does anyone know if ASM used to make these?

I like that your chips have no ce square edges. Some of these chips have rounded edges and look more plastic like to me. Looking forward to your review. Does anyone know if ASM used to make these?

yeah i tend to agree with regard to the square vs. round edges. i wouldn't mind putting together a set of rounded edges at some point. almost certainly a smaller set, maybe just as a pure collectible or to be broken out on those really short-handed nights (4-max or something).

feeling like i now ought to pick up a kestell table for these. wouldn't seem right to use them on a modern table with a rail and everything.

Fuck me I'm stupid. My wife found some of those at a yard sale but they were pretty shinny and looked almost plastic.

I said no wasn't worth the $10...and left...they had rounded edges and I figured they were plastic reproductions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom