Top 50 Golf Courses (2 Viewers)

TheChipVault

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Are there any PCF members that are also members at a top 50 golf course. I'd love to hang out for 4 hours and talk chips and golf! ;)

Dunno if he belongs but he's got "golf" in his name. @TX_Golf_N_Poker
Not currently a member at any country clubs. The one I used to belong to was nice, but nothing close to a top 50 track.

My biggest claim to fame is that I do live pretty close to, and have played at the Deerwood course in Kingwood, TX. This club is famous for a lot of Tin Cup having been shot there, including being the home of the iconic finishing hole at the end of the film. Which is actually something like the 13th hole, and is a par 4, not a par 5. There is a plate in the fairway where McAvoy took all those shots at the green from. Yep, I hit one in the water from there too... Not my actual drive though, which carried past the plate.

Not currently a member at any country clubs. The one I used to belong to was nice, but nothing close to a top 50 track.

My biggest claim to fame is that I do live pretty close to, and have played at the Deerwood course in Kingwood, TX. This club is famous for a lot of Tin Cup having been shot there, including being the home of the iconic finishing hole at the end of the film. Which is actually something like the 13th hole, and is a par 4, not a par 5. There is a plate in the fairway where McAvoy took all those shots at the green from. Yep, I hit one in the water from there too... Not my actual drive though, which carried past the plate.
I think the only golf I've played in Texas was Briggs Ranch outside of San Antonio. Great course but not top 50 obviously. Strange that there are no Top 50 courses in Texas now that I think about it.

Which top 50 list are you using and are any of them public? I imagine there are many lists.

I think the only golf I've played in Texas was Briggs Ranch outside of San Antonio. Great course but not top 50 obviously. Strange that there are no Top 50 courses in Texas now that I think about it.
Not sure what it takes to be top 50. A couple of the best courses in Texas would probably be Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, and BlueJack National near The Woodlands, which was designed by Tiger Woods to pay homage to Augusta National. It is unbelievably exclusive, just like Augusta. Pretty much impossible to play at without an invitation from a member.

As far as accessible courses, there are some really great ones around Austin like Barton Creek Resort that has four 18 hole tracks.

So while there may not be any top 50s, there are plenty of great places to play in Texas.

Which top 50 list are you using and are any of them public? I imagine there are many lists.
I'm certainly not a golf snob and honestly I'm not that good. I use the golf digest top 50 overall for the list. I used to work with a guy that was on the quest so that got me on the hunt too. I try to knock off a couple every year but the more that I knock off the harder it is to find connections to the remaining ones so I figured floating this thread could not hurt. There is are a few public courses that make the list.

I'm certainly not a golf snob and honestly I'm not that good. I use the golf digest top 50 overall for the list. I used to work with a guy that was on the quest so that got me on the hunt too. I try to knock off a couple every year but the more that I knock off the harder it is to find connections to the remaining ones so I figured floating this thread could not hurt. There is are a few public courses that make the list.
Maybe you would have better luck if you provided a list of some of the ones you still have left on your bucket list, and where they are located. Also, I would assume the list changes annually, so there should be courses rolling on and off the list.

In 2010 I got the chance to attend the U.S. Open with my Dad at Pebble Beach. That course has been on my bucket list ever since, but I've heard it's 500 USD per person, per round excluding carts... so it might have to stay a dream.

Was pretty awesome, I sat behind Tiger as he teed off at the 4th hole. The final round was stacked.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 4.09.17 PM.png

I grew up on the east end of Long Island and as a teenager worked at a local club adjacent to Shinnecock Hills and National Golf Links. A small back road separates the courses and we used to sneak on for a few holes at Shinnecock. It was always so quiet, hardly anyone on the course. Played it a number of times later in a legitimate fashion. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Side note: Growing up in the 70s, the 10th hole at Shinnecock had the very best sledding in the area. Everyone seemed to be there, kids and parents alike....and it didn't seem to be discouraged. That certainly doesn't happen anymore!

A few years later, I'd play the Bethpage Black course every week in the mid-1990s. It is a public course run by the State of New York and greens fees were only $16, no golf carts allowed. There was no reservation system at the time, but they would hand out numbered tickets at 4am as you drove up, and that was your place in line when the office opened at 6am. So, people would line up their cars the night before, and sleep in them to get a good ticket number. Smart foursomes would rotate one poor soul to do this each week, so that it was only necessary to do this once per month...the other 3 guys could show up at 6am. But here's the thing...even if the foursome wanted to reserve a 9am tee-time, all four players were required to be there at 6am during sign-up. Inevitably, one guy wouldn't make it, maybe out too late the night before. If I went as a single, I was almost guaranteed to be in one of the first 5 groups of the morning...and getting an early tee time was critical, as it was common for a round to take 6 hours as the day progressed. Then the internet reservation system came along a screwed my great system all up. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I grew up on the east end of Long Island and as a teenager worked at a local club adjacent to Shinnecock Hills and National Golf Links. A small back road separates the courses and we used to sneak on for a few holes at Shinnecock. It was always so quiet, hardly anyone on the course. Played it a number of times later in a legitimate fashion. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Side note: Growing up in the 70s, the 10th hole at Shinnecock had the very best sledding in the area. Everyone seemed to be there, kids and parents alike....and it didnt seem to be discouraged. That certainly doesn't happen anymore!

A few years later, I'd play the Bethpage Black course every week in the mid-1990s. It is a public course run by the State of New York and greens fees were only $16, no golf carts allowed. There was no reservation system at the time, but they would hand out numbered tickets at 4am as you drove up, and that was your place in line when the office opened at 6am. So, people would line up their cars at night and sleep in them to get a good ticket number. Smart foursomes would rotate one poor soul to do this each week, so that it was only necessary to do this once per month...the other 3 guys could show up at 6am.
However, I discovered that as a single, if I got there at 6, I was almost always in one of the first 5 groups. I guess there were plenty of foresomes that lost a guy staying out a bit too late drinking and didnt want to play so early the next day. Getting an early tee time was critical, as it was common for a round to take 6 hours as morning progressed. Then the internet reservation system came along a screwed it all up. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
First image I see when I googled 'Bethpage Black'...
Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 4.23.09 PM.png

Is it a difficult course? I have never seen an actual physical warning like the below...

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 4.25.00 PM.png

In 2010 I got the chance to attend the U.S. Open with my Dad at Pebble Beach. That course has been on my bucket list ever since, but I've heard it's 500 USD per person, per round excluding carts... so it might have to stay a dream.

Was pretty awesome, I sat behind Tiger as he teed off at the 4th hole. The final round was stacked.

View attachment 1300923
The cost of playing at Pebble Beach is certainly high, but at least it is attainable for anyone who is willing to spend the money. And I believe in addition to the cost of the greens fee, that you also are required to be a guest on the property. So adding in lodging costs, you should probably budget for more like $1000. But for any true golf enthusiast, it's a once in a lifetime occasion that should be considered. I'm hoping to make it there one day.

The cost of playing at Pebble Beach is certainly high, but at least it is attainable for anyone who is willing to spend the money. And I believe in addition to the cost of the greens fee, that you also are required to be a guest on the property. So adding in lodging costs, you should probably budget for more like $1000. But for any true golf enthusiast, it's a once in a lifetime occasion that should be considered. I'm hoping to make it there one day.
It was a truly, truly amazing. 50,000 spectators, they made everyone park offsite and had coach buses to bring in everyone to the course.

The views are absolutely beautiful, particularly the par-3 seventh hole.

1711658479078.png

Maybe one day...

First image I see when I googled 'Bethpage Black'...
View attachment 1300962

Is it a difficult course? I have never seen an actual physical warning like the below...

View attachment 1300964
Bethpage a bear of a course. The last few holes are very hilly, and with no carts allowed (at least when I played it), makes for an exhausting end to a round.
Since it's a public course, and there's 4 other courses there (Black being the toughest) the sign you showed is to discourage less-experienced golfers from attempting to play it without the full knowledge of what they're getting themselves into.

Bethpage a bear of a course. The last few holes are very hilly, and with no carts allowed (at least when I played it), makes for an exhausing end to a round.
Since it's a public course, and there's 4 other courses there (Black being the toughest) the sign you showed is to discourage less-experienced golfers from attempting to play it without the full knowledge of what they're getting themselves into.
See, that would only stir my ego and make me want to prove them wrong as I shank my first drive into the oncoming foursome.

Bethpage a bear of a course. The last few holes are very hilly, and with no carts allowed (at least when I played it), makes for an exhausing end to a round.
I've been saving Bethpage.. I'll probably knock that one off the list this year.

See, that would only stir my ego and make me want to prove them wrong as I shank my first drive into the oncoming foursome.
And the first tee box is surrounded closely by the clubhouse and lots of activity...so your first drive is witnessed by a bunch of people. It sure puts additional pressure on! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely love Bandon. #1 Golf trip in the US. They had 3 in the top 50 a while ago!

Have you been to Wisconsin yet? Voted number 1 public golf state and has numerous top 50/100 tracks.

Sand Valley Resort - 4 courses (same owner as Bandon)

Whistling Straits - 2 courses

Erin Hills

Others include

Black wolf Run - 2 courses

Links at Lawsonia

The Bull

Maybe you would have better luck if you provided a list of some of the ones you still have left on your bucket list, and where they are located. Also, I would assume the list changes annually, so there should be courses rolling on and off the list.

Wish List

Pine Valley Pine Valley NJ
Augusta National Augusta GA
Cypress Point Pebble Beach CA
Shinnecock Hills South Hampton NY
National Golf Links of America South Hampton NY
Fishers Island Fishers Island NY
Sand Hills Mullen NE
Seminole Juno Beach FL
Chicago Wheaton IL
Muirfield Dublin OH
Friars Head Baiting Hollow NY
Los Angeles Los Angeles CA
Riviera Pacific Palisades CA
Wade Hampton Cashiers NC
Shadow Creek North Las Vegas NV
Peachtree Atlanta GA
Gozzer Ranch Harrison ID
Pikewood Morgantown WV
The Olympic Club San FranciscoCA
The Alotian Roland AR
San Francisco San Francisco CA
Sebonack South Hampton NY
Congaree Ridgeland SC
Camargo Indian Hill OH
The Golf Club New Albany OH
Ballyneal Holyoke CO
Baltusrol (lower) Springfield NJ
Castle Pines Castle Rock CO
Butler National Oak Brook IL

Have you been to Wisconsin yet? Voted number 1 public golf state and has numerous top 50/100 tracks.

Sand Valley Resort - 4 courses (same owner as Bandon)

Whistling Straits - 2 courses

Erin Hills

Others include

Black wolf Run - 2 courses

Links at Lawsonia

The Bull

I've played Whistling and Black Wolf Run. Erin Hills I'll probably fly in for the day and play this summer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom