Cash Game Too many chips? Not enough chips? (1 Viewer)

Super late to the party but I'll throw in a couple of additional thoughts:

A good place to start is to determine the size of each game in conjunction with the blinds. In other words, what is the bank size you'd need to support each of the blinds. The same level of blinds played by two different crews might have significant bank differences. To determine the bank size, not only the blinds and bet sizes are important but also the willingness to re-buy multiple times. In short, think about what kind of bank you'd need for each game.

Also, I personally think that for a cash game, starting stacks are not the best way of approaching the issue. Sometimes people start at different times and buy-in for different amounts. If one wants to get everything prepared in starting stacks beforehand, it's fine, but it is not at all required. All that matters is that there's enough of each denom to make the game run smoothly.

One import decision is also if you favor more chips or less chips in play. There's plenty of either preference in this forum and there's no right or wrong answer. I myself like to play with loads of workhorse chips and will not put the next denomination on the table unless I either run out of the workhorse or there's piles of it on the table. The experience of the crew in handling chips is important on that decision as well. If they are sort of beginners, than there's not much sense in having a bunch of chips in each pot as it will slow down the game. Budget is also a consideration when deciding more or less chips of course.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
^^^ This. Paulo Knows Poker.™

I also echo the statement that in a cash game, even starting stacks are irrelevant. Specifically, you only need as many blind chips and low denoms as the game needs to function. Thus, if playing single table .25/.50, for example, follow the @abby99 Theorem: (a) one rack of fracs is plenty; (b) the first five players at the table each get a barrel of fracs; (c) the other players make change from there; and (d) after the first orbit or so, the fracs are going to be evenly/unevenly distributed anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

Then, it just comes down to how your games run best: broader selection of denoms (such as $5s and $25s in play) or more workhorse $5s. There is no right answer here. I have a set with 300/300/2,000/300/60 breakdown, for lots of $5s, but I also think the best universal 1,000 chip set is 100/200/400/200/100. YMMV.

^^^ This. Paulo Knows Poker.™

I also echo the statement that in a cash game, even starting stacks are irrelevant. Specifically, you only need as many blind chips and low denoms as the game needs to function. Thus, if playing single table .25/.50, for example, follow the @abby99 Theorem: (a) one rack of fracs is plenty; (b) the first five players at the table each get a barrel of fracs; (c) the other players make change from there; and (d) after the first orbit or so, the fracs are going to be evenly/unevenly distributed anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

Then, it just comes down to how your games run best: broader selection of denoms (such as $5s and $25s in play) or more workhorse $5s. There is no right answer here. I have a set with 300/300/2,000/300/60 breakdown, for lots of $5s, but I also think the best universal 1,000 chip set is 100/200/400/200/100. YMMV.
Sweet! I’d like to see a picture of that chip set!

Ok so I am new to the forum. I am trying to get a set of majestic poker chips. The issue I am having is I play lots of different games and can't figure out the right denominations and ammounts to buy. I regularly play .25/.50 1/1 1/2 and occasionally 2/5 nl hold em cash games. I try to pick chips but I seem to be picking blind. How do I figure out the right denominations and number of chips to accommodate all these cash games?
Ok
I run a $1/$2 game that may play a little large
So my chip sets are set up as
175 $ 1’s
300 $ 5’s
100 $ 25’s(or $20’s)
25 $100’s
Simple 600 piece sets
I also have multiple sets that have 100 $.05’s and 200 $.25s for the the rate times we play nickel or quarter games
I would recommend 200 $.25’s if you are playing a lot of $.25/$.25 or $.25/.$50

Ok so I am new to the forum. I am trying to get a set of majestic poker chips. The issue I am having is I play lots of different games and can't figure out the right denominations and ammounts to buy. I regularly play .25/.50 1/1 1/2 and occasionally 2/5 nl hold em cash games. I try to pick chips but I seem to be picking blind. How do I figure out the right denominations and number of chips to accommodate all these cash games?

I have the exact same situation. I have different poker "groups" that I host from .25/.50 up to 2/5. I have a 1300 chip set that works well. Keep in mind my 2/5 game plays huge, so I feel like I need a ridiculously big bank just in case somebody goes nuts (which frequently happens). Plus guys often up the limit to 2/5/10 late in the night. I've never actually had to use the $500 chips, but I still like having them - the cost is minimal to buy the 50 chips, but it's just peace of mind knowing the set can handle literally any cash game, even if things get way bigger than expected.

200 - .25
300 - $1
400 - $5
200 - $25
150 - $100
50 - $500

I could easily trim off 100 of the quarters and 100 of the $1's. Although it is fun to have lot of quarters and dollars for low stakes games, as guys seem to like having big stacks of chips to splash around with. Like I said, the $500 are probably not necessary either, but seriously, if you're buying 1000+ chip set why not go a little overboard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom