Cash Game Time Rake considerations in low stakes GA poker. (1 Viewer)

Legend5555

Full House
Reaction score
So here in GA, people have found a way (at least in one county) to run legal cash games combining the TX model and running the room as a Charity.

Right now, one of these (Little Kings and Queens) has been running cash games for about a year. Though they have been running small tournaments for several years. Another is about to open (simply called The Poker Room). Both of them use the following structure:

$10 daily membership (discounts on longer term memberships)
$10 daily fee
$15/hr time rake paid on advance (discounts on buying bulk time)

This applies to all games, though the only games that really run at LKQ are 1/3 $500 max, and 2/5 $1k max.

It's easy for me to see that this structure is better than standard rake at 2/5. But at 1/3 and potentially 1/2 $200 max that might show up at The Poker Room when it opens, it's a little less clear to me that this is necessarily better.

I found this article from 2019 about average rake paid:

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/the-impact-of-rake-in-low-stakes-cash-games-33298.htm

From this, it seems that with auto shufflers, and counting jackpot money as rake (even though it isn't technically), it seems the average player is paying about $15/hr. When you then factor in membership, daily fee, and hand shuffling, it seems like the GA structure might be slightly worse than standard rake. Though, no money comes off the table. So the money on the table can only increase as long as people don't leave the game. It's hard to tell how big an impact this really has though.

Now obviously the games are likely still very beatable since you it's still possible to beat 1/2 with a $5+$2 standard rake structure.

The question is though, is this membership + time rake structure actually all that better at stakes below 2/5 than standard rake? And if the room ever ran a limit game, what stakes would it need to be to be beatable against the time rake + membership?

It is easy to check. For every $10 you put into the pot set $1 of your stack off to the side. After an hour see how much you would have paid in rake.

Here is a better question. Why are we looking for any and every loophole in laws that no one agrees with in the first place? Why not elect government officials who listen to the people?

I think it has nothing to do with finding loopholes and/or a viable model and everything to do with charity. While I'm no legal expert, to the best of my knowledge, any form of poker in which money exchanges hands, regardless of whether or not there is a rake, is illegal in Georgia.

Here is a better question. Why are we looking for any and every loophole in laws that no one agrees with in the first place? Why not elect government officials who listen to the people?
This isn't to get in the legality. I don't want to discuss that. Don't derail this.

So here in GA, people have found a way (at least in one county) to run legal cash games combining the TX model and running the room as a Charity.

Right now, one of these (Little Kings and Queens) has been running cash games for about a year. Though they have been running small tournaments for several years. Another is about to open (simply called The Poker Room). Both of them use the following structure:

$10 daily membership (discounts on longer term memberships)
$10 daily fee
$15/hr time rake paid on advance (discounts on buying bulk time)

This applies to all games, though the only games that really run at LKQ are 1/3 $500 max, and 2/5 $1k max.

It's easy for me to see that this structure is better than standard rake at 2/5. But at 1/3 and potentially 1/2 $200 max that might show up at The Poker Room when it opens, it's a little less clear to me that this is necessarily better.

I found this article from 2019 about average rake paid:

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/the-impact-of-rake-in-low-stakes-cash-games-33298.htm

From this, it seems that with auto shufflers, and counting jackpot money as rake (even though it isn't technically), it seems the average player is paying about $15/hr. When you then factor in membership, daily fee, and hand shuffling, it seems like the GA structure might be slightly worse than standard rake. Though, no money comes off the table. So the money on the table can only increase as long as people don't leave the game. It's hard to tell how big an impact this really has though.

Now obviously the games are likely still very beatable since you it's still possible to beat 1/2 with a $5+$2 standard rake structure.

The question is though, is this membership + time rake structure actually all that better at stakes below 2/5 than standard rake? And if the room ever ran a limit game, what stakes would it need to be to be beatable against the time rake + membership?
How does it work for tournaments? Surely they’re not charging tournament players per hour?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom