Cash Game Time limit for Cash Game? (1 Viewer)

Lester86

Sitting Out
Reaction score
It seems like the general consensus is that raising blinds in a cash game isn't really necessary to keep the game moving. Is it a good idea then to set a time limit where if the game isn't over everyone can cash out? Thanks!

Cash games are fluid and players can flow in and out. Some of the time the host will set a hard stop time that the game will break but not always.

Myself as a player I can only go for a 4-5 hour sessions anymore. It will all depend on your player pool and how much degen they have in them.

Hi. Welcome to PCF.

There isn’t a time limit unless the host or hostess say you all need to get the hell out of their house. There isn’t a sole winner like in tournaments. People can enter and cash out as your game and their schedule dictate. Naturally there are rules of etiquette you should look up to help make it an enjoyable game.

Having a hard stop can be nice as it helps set expectations. Like if I know we're going until 12 or 1 or whatever I'm normally happy to stay until then but if it's indefinite I'm more likely to at least think about cashing out early especially if you have to get up in the morning, etc.

I've always been a fan of letting the game run its course organically. If you are feeling that the natural stop point is getting a bit late, I think it is perfectly fine to let them know you need the game will wrap around X time. On the flip side, if your games are ending late and you don't want to set a rigid cutoff, you could always set the start time a bit earlier and see what time you end up wrapping up.

I've always been a fan of letting the game run its course organically. If you are feeling that the natural stop point is getting a bit late, I think it is perfectly fine to let them know you need the game will wrap around X time. On the flip side, if your games are ending late and you don't want to set a rigid cutoff, you could always set the start time a bit earlier and see what time you end up wrapping up.
Yeah I'm getting old and can't stay up as late as I used to.:)

The primary reason I switched my game from tournaments to cash was to allow people to come and go as they needed. I have a couple habitual late arrivals and some folks that need to be able to leave early so they can go to work (early) the next day. The fluid timing of a cash game lets this happen.

As host (and am usually on night hours because of my work), I'm rarely the one to need to set a stop time, but there are occasions where I do have to set a hard stop and I make sure everyone is aware of this, as well as the time, before the game starts. Otherwise, my game ends pretty organically like has been mentioned above when enough people have had to leave where it's down to just a couple folks left.

As fun as tournaments are, and I do enjoy hosting and running a tournament, the flexibility of a cash game and how players can come and go as they need to makes it the ideal "game" to play in a home game.

[EDIT to clarify some of my wording]

Last edited:
Hi. Welcome to PCF.

There isn’t a time limit unless the host or hostess say you all need to get the hell out of their house. There isn’t a sole winner like in tournaments. People can enter and cash out as your game and their schedule dictate. Naturally there are rules of etiquette you should look up to help make it an enjoyable game.

Is there a thread on this site that has the "standard" etiquette I could look up?

I’m also in the camp of letting the game end organically, however I’m only hosting cash games. I do include on my invite start and stop time; for example, game 630pm-11pm.
Gives people an idea for how long the game will run, and typically we will run longer however we usually do have a few players cash out at the end time. We keep our game going generally until we’re down to about 4 players. FYI I only run one table (8-9 handed) and have had some players arrive late leave early though out the game. I have yet to run a tournament, might try to host one on a football Sunday this year, we shall see

My game starts at 1830 and we do bomb pots at the top of every hour. There's a hard stop after the 0200 bomb pot. I learned a long time ago that my degens will just continue to play until the sun comes up if I don't.

It seems like the general consensus is that raising blinds in a cash game isn't really necessary to keep the game moving. Is it a good idea then to set a time limit where if the game isn't over everyone can cash out? Thanks!
Yes. We call it the hard stop.

At Windy Crest Poker Room it used to be 3:30 a.m. but then the gaming commissioner unilaterally decided that 1:30 a.m. was a better time.

So now we stop playing at 1:30 a.m. but we start at 3 p.m. :LOL: :laugh:

The town set a hard "closing time" for my game, as there is no parking on my street from 2am to 6am.
Really? I've heard of parking hours during winter months alternating sides, but a 4 hour window of no parking?

What kind of nonsense is this?

Really? I've heard of parking hours during winter months alternating sides, but a 4 hour window of no parking?

What kind of nonsense is this?
It started out as a winter only thing, letting the plows clear the street with no cars on it. It turned into "keep private equity from turning homes into rentals and Airbnb's in our neighborhood". It works. A nice quiet neighborhood is still a nice quiet neighborhood.

It started out as a winter only thing, letting the plows clear the street with no cars on it. It turned into "keep private equity from turning homes into rentals and Airbnb's in our neighborhood". It works. A nice quiet neighborhood is still a nice quiet neighborhood.
I park in front of my house, instead of the driveway off the alley in the back. This would piss me off.

Glad it works for you thought, I can see the value with the examples you gave.

Kinda rough that the price for the nice quiet neighborhood is limiting overnight guests in your own house.

Set a stop time, say 1:00 a.m.. When that time clicks over, draw a card for number of hands remaining. Of course if everyone agrees, you can always extend.

Kinda rough that the price for the nice quiet neighborhood is limiting overnight guests in your own house.
The driveway (mine is just like everyone else's in the neighborhood)is big enough for 4 cars to fit in it so where is the limitation?

At my former house the police ticketed all the cars that were parked on the street at 2am ($25 ticket). The neighbors were all older people and hated the “young party guy”now they called. But I found out when I called the police department that you could get a special permission for house guest if we called the police station. So I compiled a list of all the cars and plates, anyone that was still in the game at 1:45 am we would call in their info and we didn’t have parking ban tickets anymore. But it also helped to make sure the game was filled up and going on time because everyone arrived early to try to get a spot in the driveway.

At my former house the police ticketed all the cars that were parked on the street at 2am ($25 ticket). The neighbors were all older people and hated the “young party guy”now they called. But I found out when I called the police department that you could get a special permission for house guest if we called the police station. So I compiled a list of all the cars and plates, anyone that was still in the game at 1:45 am we would call in their info and we didn’t have parking ban tickets anymore. But it also helped to make sure the game was filled up and going on time because everyone arrived early to try to get a spot in the driveway.
That's nuts! What was the size of this city?

That's nuts! What was the size of this city?
Small suburb. Current suburb has the same 2-6am parking ban. But I have a big U shaped driveway that can hold plenty of cars. But also the police are much more lax about enforcing the parking ban. They pretty much only do it if people call to complain.

You can leave whenever, but the bank doesn’t open until …..
IMG_6384.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom