Tourney Three Table Tournament Questions (1 Viewer)

SaucyAussie

High Hand
Reaction score
I have been hosting a 3 table tourney for a few months and it runs pretty smooth but there are a couple of areas I want to tighten up. I have been mostly following the Chris M. Youtube videos but wanted to get some other opinions -

1. Balancing the tables - when moving a player, I had been taking the next big blind but I get a lot of grumbling, "should be from behind the dealer" etc.

2. Combining from 3 tables down to 2 - this is a bit of a cluster, I basically let them go wherever they want, but this seems wrong given the effort to randomize the seating at the beginning of the night.

Suggestions on how to handle?

I have been hosting a 3 table tourney for a few months and it runs pretty smooth but there are a couple of areas I want to tighten up. I have been mostly following the Chris M. Youtube videos but wanted to get some other opinions -

1. Balancing the tables - when moving a player, I had been taking the next big blind but I get a lot of grumbling, "should be from behind the dealer" etc.

2. Combining from 3 tables down to 2 - this is a bit of a cluster, I basically let them go wherever they want, but this seems wrong given the effort to randomize the seating at the beginning of the night.

Suggestions on how to handle?
1) you’ll never make everyone happy, so set a rule and stick with it. I use software, and just move who it tells me.
2) use a deck of cards, and take red and black cards matching the empty seats. Have the table breaking down select cards.
- if you have 5 open on table 1, and 4 on table 2, use 5 red/4 black. If seat 2,4,5,7,&10 are open, use those cards.

1) you’ll never make everyone happy, so set a rule and stick with it. I use software, and just move who it tells me.
2) use a deck of cards, and take red and black cards matching the empty seats. Have the table breaking down select cards.
- if you have 5 open on table 1, and 4 on table 2, use 5 red/4 black. If seat 2,4,5,7,&10 are open, use those cards.
Thanks! Yes for #1, I think I will just stick with next big blind has to move. Maybe add a rule that nobody has to move twice.

For #2, I like that, simple and quick.

Can I ask what software you use, and do you know what rationale it uses to move people?

Thanks! Yes for #1, I think I will just stick with next big blind has to move. Maybe add a rule that nobody has to move twice.

For #2, I like that, simple and quick.

Can I ask what software you use, and do you know what rationale it uses to move people?
I use TheTournamentDirector. It’s great for my needs, easy to setup, and it’s cheap (it used to be $35 for a 1-time cost. Best $35 I ever spent. You can download it free and try it out. If you like it, support them. There is also a huge forum on it for configuration and such.

I know you have mentioned @Chris Manzoni 's videos, have you seen the one specifically on this topic? Frankly that video is the gold standard and I don't think you will get a better opinion than that on all of the circumstances about which you are asking. That said I can offer a little color on a couple of your questions.

The thinking of your "grumbling" players is absolutely wrong-headed. The player being moved is already being inconvenienced, if you move a player from a later position, you are all but guaranteeing he will be seated in a worse position at the new table on top of being forced to move.

If you take a player from under the gun, then you are guaranteeing his new spot will at least be no worse than his old spot in terms of distance from the BB, and no mater what you do, the table losing a player all lose one seat equally, no matter what you do, but at the same time, this table otherwise has a surplus of players that the other tables do not, so it's okay if that arrangement comes to an end, part of the reason to "balance" tables in the first place.

If it's the player about to get the BB complaining about losing a free hand, well that would happen if the player busted out instead of getting moved, and it's also the "free" hand in the least valuable position anyway.

Yes it is, and if you don't have dedicated seat tokens, @krafticus is giving you the right answer on how to handle this. Make up a deck to represent the seats at the two remaining tables at the table you are about to "break" and have those players draw randomly among the open seats.

Thanks for detailed explanation @JustinInMN, yeah I have watched all those videos a bunch, just looking for different perspectives. I'm not crazy about the seating plaques idea, and having to keep track of those for the whole night, so I will be using the deck as @krafticus suggested.

Thanks all!

Thanks for detailed explanation @JustinInMN, yeah I have watched all those videos a bunch, just looking for different perspectives. I'm not crazy about the seating plaques idea, and having to keep track of those for the whole night, so I will be using the deck as @krafticus suggested.

Thanks all!
Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be plaques, using a spare deck is every bit as good. I have extra chips that I put seat numbers on and have the players draw from a bag to accomplish the same thing. But your instinct is right, there should be some random method when you "break" a table. If you don't implement it, sooner or later there will be a conflict over an open seat next to a big stack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom