Things That Are Bullsh*t (10 Viewers)

It's not food but Lone Star beer was a disappointment.
Lone Star is the lowest of the low, bottom shelf, cheap American lager style beers. The true National Beer of Texas is Shiner Bock. It's still a mass produced mainstream beer, but at least it's drinkable and has a decent amount of flavor.

only to find out it's "meh" (at best).

I'm looking at you...
  • Skyline Chili
Took a short road-trip in college to visit a friend at Miami of Ohio, and Skyline Chili was chosen as the future drunk food of the night. She kept saying it was the best ever. We stumbled in with a group, ready to have this staple. The people around us eating were creaming themselves over this. When you're drunk, everything tastes better. This did not. Salted ass.

As to everything else on your list, I always tell people it's okay to be wrong.

Travelling to another city to try out their "best evar" local cuisine, only to find out it's "meh" (at best).

I'm looking at you...
  • Skyline Chili
  • In and out "Animal Style"
  • Chicago "Pizza"
  • Maryland Crab Cakes
  • Texas Chili
  • Nashville Hot Chicken
I'm sure there's more, feel free to add on...
Also, I MUCH prefer a good crab dip over a crab cake. Again, not the biggest crab fan, but when you make crab dip right, there isn't much better. Unfortunately, the best one I ever had was at a place in Annapolis, and it went out of business decades ago.

Lone Star is the lowest of the low, bottom shelf, cheap American lager style beers. The true National Beer of Texas is Shiner Bock. It's still a mass produced mainstream beer, but at least it's drinkable and has a decent amount of flavor.
That’s a goddamn lie. I bought some shiner bock last year, after reading people say things like this. It is almost wholly devoid of flavor.

And before you say I have no taste, that’s crap. I love all kinds of beers. The fact that I lean towards beers like Busch light has more to do with me being cheap than good taste. AND it makes me uniquely qualified to comment on beers with little to no taste. Of which Shiner Bock is one.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/20-x-chicken-all-in-chips-ba-cawk.107065/post-2233319

I'm reporting this thread for all the Skyline hate. I guess it's a comfort food for me since I grew up there, but hitting Skyline when I visit home is always on my must-do list.

I also have several cans in the pantry from my recent eclipse visit.

Three of these are spot on. Two I've never tried in their original location, so I will take you word for it. But Texas Chili? I have to ask where did you try the Texas Chili? If it was in a restaurant, then I totally understand including it on the list. I've never had truly good Texas Chili in a restaurant. The only place to get real Texas Chili is at a Texas chili cook off. Or in someone's home.

I'll have to figure out a way to bring some of my Texas Chili to a meetup that we attend together. If you don't like my Texas Chili, then you don't have taste buds.
I sense a whole new debate thread. There’s a difference between Chili and tomato soup with chili powder in it.

Travelling to another city to try out their "best evar" local cuisine, only to find out it's "meh" (at best).

I'm looking at you...
  • Skyline Chili
  • In and out "Animal Style"
  • Chicago "Pizza"
  • Maryland Crab Cakes
  • Texas Chili
  • Nashville Hot Chicken
I'm sure there's more, feel free to add on...
That's a pretty solid list of 'meh', although not much beats a good Chicago deep-dish pizza (it's just not pizza in the NYC sense).

Varsity Hot Dogs (Atlanta)
5 8 Club's Juicy Lucy (Minnesota)
Not familiar with either of these - I feel as if I have been warned now. :tup:

Maybe you haven't eaten a real MD crabcake. ( I don't like crab .. but I know where the good ones are)
I had them the last day of a trip to Baltimore in 2011. Unfortunately, I didn't keep notes from that trip, so I don't know the name of the restaurant. It was highly rated on Yelp, so I gave it a try. It wasn't bad, it was fine. Just fine. There was plenty of great food in town - just not the crab cakes.

I loved Hattie B's Nashville Hot Chicken.
Hattie B's and Prince's, are 2 sides of the same coin. Great chicken dipped in an underwhelming hot (spicy) vinegar. Good heat, but no real flavor. If @Darson made a Nashville-style Hot Chicken it would be great (provided he could fry a chicken). In the meantime, I prefer my seasoning built into the batter then fried.

Three of these are spot on. Two I've never tried in their original location, so I will take you word for it. But Texas Chili? I have to ask where did you try the Texas Chili? If it was in a restaurant, then I totally understand including it on the list. I've never had truly good Texas Chili in a restaurant. The only place to get real Texas Chili is at a Texas chili cook off. Or in someone's home.

I'll have to figure out a way to bring some of my Texas Chili to a meetup that we attend together. If you don't like my Texas Chili, then you don't have taste buds.
Both times it was in a restaurant (once in Dallas and once in San Antonio). I'm down with being corrected by some homemade chili though!

Also, I MUCH prefer a good crab dip over a crab cake. Again, not the biggest crab fan, but when you make crab dip right, there isn't much better. Unfortunately, the best one I ever had was at a place in Annapolis, and it went out of business decades ago.
I agree with the crab dip. Especially an Old Bay seasoned dip. I've had entire meals of crab dip and crackers.

That's a pretty solid list of 'meh', although not much beats a good Chicago deep-dish pizza (it's just not pizza in the NYC sense).
I will agree... sort of - Giordanos makes an excellent casserole. But when you want a pizza while you are playing cards, Giordanos is going to leave you unhappy. Luckily, I didn't have to "travel" to get it - I lived in Chicago at the time. Admittedly, I may still have been swayed by the far better Detroit-style deep dish pizza (Buddys).

Yes. Good food is good food and good food doesn’t care about semantics.

I'm reporting this thread for all the Skyline hate. I guess it's a comfort food for me since I grew up there, but hitting Skyline when I visit home is always on my must-do list.

I’m pretty sure most “comfort food” is simultaneously 1) special to specific people because that’s what they grew up with etc or have many associated positive memories with and 2) not that special to people who don’t have those associations.

1713376725088.gif

I lived 7 years in Baltimore and blue crabs/crab cakes never did much for me but Church’s Fried Chicken and specifically fried okra mean a lot more because of the 3 years I lived in Alabama prior to that.

Also. McDonald’s is still my last meal of choice. Big N Tasty combo with a McChicken.

I’m pretty sure most “comfort food” is simultaneously 1) special to specific people because that’s what they grew up with etc or have many associated positive memories with and 2) not that special to people who don’t have those associations.

View attachment 1313652
Woh, woh, woh. Hold on just a minute. How dare you insert logic into a debate about subjective tastes?

You're over here posting logic and appropriate explanations. This thread is not the place for such nonsense.

I also have several cans in the pantry from my recent eclipse visit.
I'm going to be honest. I actually have not had this dish in Cincinnati. I actually like spaghetti with meat sauce, so I think my primary objection to the dish is the use of the word "chili' in the name. Because it's definitely not chili. And yeah, I know, we already have another string of conversation about real chili. From Texas.

Which is why I made that comment after my mock outrage. ;)

I'm going to be honest. I actually have not had this dish in Cincinnati.
Well there's your problem.

I actually like spaghetti with meat sauce, so I think my primary objection to the dish is the use of the word "chili' in the name. Because it's definitely not chili. And yeah, I know, we already have another string of conversation about real chili. From Texas.
I'll be the first to agree that you don't just ladle up a bowl of Cincinnati chili and eat it like soup or stew. It's a sauce and is meant to be served on other foods like spaghetti and hot dogs.

That said, it meets the definition of chili con carne, so there's nothing wrong with calling it chili. I bet you're also one of those damned sandwich purists, aren't you?

I had it at market square, so I guess it doesn't count?
Nope! I'm serious. I spent a lot of time on jobs in Pittsburgh and none of the Primanti Bros chains stand up to the original location. It's the same with Nathan's. You can get dogs at all their locations but nothing beats one at the original Coney Island spot.

Where is the best place to get a Juicy Lucy in M/StP?
Matt's

Just kidding. I have no clue. I didnt get there. My intention was to have one at each place to compare but after I ate at 5 8 Club I didn't have time due to my flight schedule. Here was the one I ate

Screenshot_20240418_014602_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240418_014611_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240418_014620_Photos.jpg

It's a novelty but still just 2 patties with cheese in the middle. Nothing special in my opinion.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom