The purple chip appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

fushia: pink or purple?
1664663805501.png

1664663732557.png

Several years ago I sold these Grape starbursts, and always regretted it…

The pics don’t do these justice at all. The Grape color was probably the richest, deepest and most nuanced I’ve seen in a Paulson. It was like looking at a gem or a really amazing bottle of wine. Sometimes it looked deep red, sometimes black, sometimes dark purple.

I also have not encountered this shade in other chips… Maybe it was just this one batch.

The second pic is closer to how I remember the color.

grape-80.jpeg
grape-80B 2.jpeg

The pics don’t do these justice at all. The Grape color was probably the richest, deepest and most nuanced I’ve seen in a Paulson. It was like looking at a gem or a really amazing bottle of wine. Sometimes it looked deep red, sometimes black, sometimes dark purple.

I also have not encountered this shade in other chips… Maybe it was just this one batch.

View attachment 997469View attachment 997470
i was thinking these were grape but could not locate my color rack
1664668198343.png

I don’t own a lot of purple chips, but I’ll put this one out there because I really dig the house mold. But the hot stamp seems lackluster. Are there different ways to hotstamp chips? Because if so, this one must be the not-as-awesome method.
5E75268F-4B3E-42C8-8D75-1D4B95654123.jpeg

I don’t own a lot of purple chips, but I’ll put this one out there because I really dig the house mold. But the hot stamp seems lackluster. Are there different ways to hotstamp chips? Because if so, this one must be the not-as-awesome method.
View attachment 997847
I would say just worn due to wear.
I am sure stamp machines have changed over the years too.
& Modern commercial stampers are a world apart from home hobby hot-stamp machines.

I found my color sample rack (149 paulson colors).
I thought I was missing grape because I was looking at colors and bypassed it until I read "grape".
Without bright light it outright looks like a dark brown, but in bright light or daylight you can see the subtle hint of purple.
The color changes depending on the lighting. Just like certain car paints.
1664738151802.png

1664738293607.png

i pulled out the purple family from the paulson samples
grape is def a step-child in the photos but belongs
desert flower and rose are the doorstep to blue and pink leaving the purple family and can go either way
1664738547750.png

Honorable mention to 'purple' is the ASM retro-blue (my version, I assume CPC is the same)
It is just like blurple, but a deeper shade.
Debatable that it is 'dark blue' or 'deep purple'.
I have 4 racks with 4 spot variations because I am nutjob.
They mix well so I am happy. That whole set has all denoms with mostly 2 spot color variations mixed (check out the 5'ers).
1664739388283.png
1664739013482.png

Last edited:
took them outside for better light
overcast and raining but you can see the difference

1664741247870.png

took them outside for better light
overcast and raining but you can see the difference

View attachment 997884
If anyone has a link to a Paulsons color samples list please post it here.
Trying to figure out why I have 2 Rose (w different stamps).
I have 149 color samples & all were purchased at the same time as a set (from @Apache) ~15 years ago.
I am curious about the variations over time, what is no longer available, & if new colors have been added since.
Thinking about making a list of all of mine (with good pics) (but do not want to waste my time if it has already been done).

Last edited:
If anyone has a link to a Paulsons color samples list please post it here.
Trying to figure out why I have 2 Rose (w different stamps).
I have 149 color samples & all were purchased at the same time as a set (from @Apache) ~15 years ago.
I am curious about the variations over time, what is no longer available, & if new colors have been added since.
Thinking about making a list of all of mine (with good pics) (but do not want to waste my time if it has already been done).
I think there might be something in the resources section. However, with hotel internet, I cant look up a photo-heavy page to give you the link.

I think there might be something in the resources section. However, with hotel internet, I cant look up a photo-heavy page to give you the link.
yeah, I tried, but tired
I fancy myself a good searcher but will retry tomorrow.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom