The Godfather Club - Minnesota (1 Viewer)

merkong

Flush
Reaction score
Last Updated February 8th, 2024

Threading The Godfather Club - MN. The biggest little game in town.

Started hosting a combination of cash games and tournaments back in the Frogtown neighborhood of St. Paul about 25 years ago and ran a weekly for many years. Stepped back from hosting when the bar poker scene took off and made a lot of friends and poker connections. Left the bar scene when the bubble sort of burst and settled into a couple of home games. My main game was a ton of fun, maybe 25+ each week tourney/league style. Plenty of action, some good folks, but also many undesirables and broke players.

Took a little break from that game and decided to reboot my own game. Held about four weeks of Saturday night two table tournaments. Added the Friday Frolic, a .10/.10 cash game to “warm up” the poker room and it became apparent that the cash game was more popular and easier to manage than tournaments.

The game went straight cash on Fridays and Saturdays right away. Since its inception in 9/2022 I’ve spread 97 sessions and we’ve been once a week only since May of 2023.

The game ran as .10/.20 with a $20 buyin and add ons, went to the .20/.20 game and is now a .25/.25 game. We play a floating straddle which only in effect if the owner of the straddle chip is UTG or its owner chooses to play it. It’s in effect about 25% of the hands we play. Maybe less. We abandoned traditional cash game add on guidance and basically say if you have the cash add on between any hand, an amount that the table doesn’t overwhelmingly object to. More money right?

I have an invite pool of around 40 players and fill my 10 person table more than 90% of the time.

My chip collection is growing and I ditched my Claysmith Monte Carlos (boat anchors) for my house set of China Clay 8v Greek Key Molds. We have 6 sets that rotate in with our favorites being my HHR’s, a set of 43mm royals, a mixed set of Paulsons, a vintage set of All-ins and I’m always looking to add more. Some Tiki Kings are on my mind at the moment. I’m like custom labels so blanks and relabels are in the house. @TheOffalo is my art guy and I use Sticker Mule for my labels. Their quality labels, inexpensive, and have a 5 day turnaround.

We’ve got a good group; younger (20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s) and a good mix of those learning the game and experienced players. I spend a great deal of time nurturing my invite pool. If you’re not growing your game you’re waiting for it to start to die.

We went from a “water is in the fridge” game to “water and soda are in the fridge, Dunkin’ Donuts over there, the bags of chips and snacks, the candy bowl, and now the hot dog roller. Occasionally, I plan on a crock of pulled pork or chicken. Booze and beer are the players responsibility. All this and the only thing I ask is whether you eat a lot or a little is that you tip. I’m not paying for the food. My job is to have a great game with great players in a great room. I do my job and I spread food. Players need to do their job and come and have fun and enjoy tip the game. Easy Peasy, Chicken Greasy.

Lots more updates and more regularly moving forward.

Hosts unite and stay the course. It always comes.

Now, some pics.
FB2C1102-E9AC-416D-9C5B-EA180F3BCB57.jpeg
F145D610-3EA3-4BFD-B42F-5D8B4E6618B5.jpeg
0D5829D7-8E20-401D-86B1-F130690A7E2C.jpeg
2BF608C5-238F-4035-BF27-22449B281A21.jpeg
67FBF4E0-79C2-405A-A08A-E47C9A74F104.jpeg
A3417E5B-9E63-4171-A2A5-29CDCD57494C.jpeg
9E3DF13B-9E95-46DA-A61F-FB2909A13464.jpeg
F259B043-7138-4A8B-AF1A-4EE53B0B748A.jpeg
1F3E2E0B-83FD-4991-A005-0D5961D597EA.jpeg
DF1BCFFE-6AD7-46BC-9213-C0D3A761B01A.jpeg
38B0A146-AD9A-4C8B-93DF-148D4778EE3C.jpeg
9C81588A-4C8A-47A9-B15D-B83836A262C0.jpeg
CC5D4B3D-F1FD-4A76-BC32-0148060EF17D.jpeg
6C5D2DEB-E65F-4633-8C35-89564500F6A2.jpeg
DE48E00A-1811-4212-A6E5-B05E6EAB73A5.jpeg
3860D103-C7EB-441E-BB37-1E5EB3E6DC92.jpeg
4B55B31F-BD96-4065-98F5-1FF0EEDA3A84.jpeg
3E8A606D-A261-40A5-B644-016D0C738058.jpeg
1A1193AA-0E32-468D-B170-F9A92FBDF44E.jpeg
DEEBD1E7-D7FD-450B-8134-8D7E4B3E6843.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like you have an awesome card room!!!! Your players are lucky to to be a part of such a great home game!!!

Every host deserves a high five huh… It’s a thankless job but when it clicks you can’t help but realize what an honor it is.

Last night was game 55 since September and we’ll surpass 500 seats filled tonight.

Go hosts!

Just grabbed this 7 footer for free on Craigslist.

Came with slide in cup holders. Pulled the rail. Looks like 1” plywood stained on top of 1.5” particle board. Weighs a ton. Going to lose the 1.5” crap wood. Also, the guy used some sort silicone under the rail leaving little slots for the slide ins.

Pulled the rail. Scraping off he silicon on the plywood then I have to meticulously get that crap off the bottom the rail.

Removable centerpiece. Has two. One red, one green. I might have enough speed cloth to recover.

Rail in 95% good shape.

Perfect small oval.

Free
IMG_4858.jpeg
70473835623__50F5D9EC-C5F6-4DCB-80D5-4A290800E8A5.jpeg
70473836855__302FF9D7-8A4E-41D7-B013-3697E61A5F94.jpeg

So I tore the free table down today. Gave it a good wipe down. I patched a couple of tears in the vinyl. I had to use a razor blade to cut the silicone caulking off of the underside of the rail that the builder used to create space for the sliding cupholders. I cut my damn thumb in the process.

Armor All to the rail and shined up the race track. When I had the racetrack area off, I cut the particleboard underneath down considerably and probably shaved a good 15 to 20 pounds off the table pounds off the table. Put it all back together and hauled it into the Poker Room. For the moment it’ll stage the Saturday night poker chips. At some point I’ll raise the rail enough for an LED light and I’ll do six USB ports.

Should be a nice second table. I don’t do tournaments but I could now. I’ve got a slew of college students coming home for the summer so a two table cash game is a distinct reality. All this for free. Not too shabby.
IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg
IMG_4862.jpeg

So I tore the free table down today. Gave it a good wipe down. I patched a couple of tears in the vinyl. I had to use a razor blade to cut the silicone caulking off of the underside of the rail that the builder used to create space for the sliding cupholders. I cut my damn thumb in the process.

Armor All to the rail and shined up the race track. When I had the racetrack area off, I cut the particleboard underneath down considerably and probably shaved a good 15 to 20 pounds off the table pounds off the table. Put it all back together and hauled it into the Poker Room. For the moment it’ll stage the Saturday night poker chips. At some point I’ll raise the rail enough for an LED light and I’ll do six USB ports.

Should be a nice second table. I don’t do tournaments but I could now. I’ve got a slew of college students coming home for the summer so a two table cash game is a distinct reality. All this for free. Not too shabby.View attachment 1129099
View attachment 1129097View attachment 1129098
A little bit of love and that thing is back to life!! Super cool @merkong

Bathed and oiled the Paulson mixed set. Ready for labels. Well, after a week of blotting and flipping.

*edit*
I oiled a little lighter this go round and blotted once as they sit in front of a fan. A flip, blot and overnight, and they’ll be ready for a wiping and racking. Well done me.

IMG_4916.jpeg

Last edited:
Well folks, it has been a while since I’ve added to the games thread so here you go.

We’re fast approaching Game 100 since I brought the game back September of 2022. We’ve stayed at once a week since that change was made last spring to keep us alive and well through last summer. We’ve had pressure to go back to twice a week but at the moment there are no plans. We also ran the first MTT since the first couple of weeks of the reboot; a 16 player event last weekend that paid four spots with first taking just over $500. A made guy in my game, Major Tom, took it down.

No major changes aside from a growing Rolodex of players, a continued full table each week, the Horse Racing Game before most sessions (Christmas gift from my family), the regular appearance of the “Rock Straddle” (pushing the game to .50/.50), a fledging hospitality suite complete with a loaner hot dog roller (ours is pending), and being in search of the time to finish our Super Ellipse. We also have a couple more PCF prospects we’re hoping to seat in the next several weeks.

With Game 100 on the horizon, we’ll be taking a week or so off after Game 99 to travel to Chicago for the day and coming back for a Saturday Special Session $100 .50/.50 Cash Game complete with the now famous Club Special Rock Straddle which, when in effect will make the hand $1/$1. Yay!

Life is good up here in MN. Hosts, stay the course and shape your game to suit the needs and wants of you and your players and success will be yours.

Enjoy.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN
*Frogtown Card Club, St. Paul (retired)
*The Poker Family (our philosophy)

Some recent big hands:

Diamond Royal by Mad Max (regular) and personal hairstylist for the Godfather)
IMG_5609.jpeg

Club Royal (merkong (my second) Owner)
IMG_5921.jpeg

Last edited:
As Game 100 approaches, The Godfather Club is proud to announce we have another PCF’er joining us this week and are hoping MN members within a reasonable distance to MSP International Airport shoot us a message and consider checking us out. We’ll start spreading two table cash action monthly sometime in the next couple of months and if it’s a hit probably try it a little more frequently.

Hail The Executive Game, Hail The Godfather Club, Hail Poker, and Hail You.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN
IMG_5960.jpeg
IMG_5948.jpeg
IMG_5949.jpeg
IMG_5957.jpeg
IMG_5922.jpeg
IMG_5888.jpeg
IMG_5959.jpeg
IMG_5956.jpeg
IMG_5958.jpeg

Hey Chippers. Last nights session was off the charts fun. We had a fellow PCF’er at the table in a first time capacity and it was just a blast. We’ll be seeing them again for sure. For our little .25/.25 w/ The Rock Straddle game we went back to back weeks w/ a record bank statement; over $800 in the till.

Gratuities cover the cuisine so appetites are welcome for Game 99 next week.

Forgot to take pics of the action but we’ll be ready with the phones next week.
Good luck and I hope everyone’s sessions last night were great.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN

I was the new guy referenced above! It was an excellent, smoothly-run game. Everyone knew what they were doing, everyone was giving (and getting) action without it devolving into anything too splashy and lacking strategy. The game moved quickly, the stakes were just right, and the hospitality room was a nice touch. Definitely one of the best home games I've had a seat at. Looking forward to my next invite for sure.

New guy^^^^^^ Jumping JF was a great fit to what we doing over here at TGC. Gave action, super conversational, and it seemed as though he’d been with us for awhile.

We appreciate the accolades and are looking forward to him returning soon.

Other MN Metro PCF’ers, take it from Jumping JF, you want to check us out.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN

Little mini upgrade to the Hospitality Suite while *not*watching 20 hours of Super Bowl Pre-Game.

Repurposed some old fence boards to a counter on up backsplash sort of thing.

Baby steps.
IMG_5977.jpeg
IMG_5978.jpeg
IMG_5979.jpeg

Ballparks and Pulled Pork in the pasture at The Donkey Lounge. Full table at The Godfather Club for 99 along with a stack of $25 plaques and some new custom art.

Yama Hama!
IMG_5997.jpeg

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN

With The Executive Game at The Godfather Club being on hiatus until March 8th with intermittent travel we’re using the time to complete the Super Ellipse as we’ll be playing Session 100 as a two table cash event.

The parts have arrived and last night was spacer cutting. I like my process but for future builds I would use pine as it’s not a pressed wood product or I would build a jig and use PVC pipe to make exact cuts with a hand saw. In any event, the spacers are cut. Next up, measuring the table for cutting the drink holder holes and finishing the rail.
IMG_6009.jpeg

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN

Well folks, after probably 90 sessions the Chairman finally saw the light and spread food for a tournament and I haven’t looked back. Today’s addition to The Godfather Club and The Executive Game is a roller of our own.

She’s “burning in” and will be ready for service at Game 100; the two-table cash session this Friday, March 8th 1830-?.

Also, a look at the new ellipse I just finished. Enjoy.

All-In.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN (The Venue)
*The Executive Game, Eagan MN (Current Game)
*Frogtown Card Club, St. Paul (Retired)
*The Poker Family (Our Philosophy)

All-In (on food at my games)
IMG_6110.jpeg
IMG_6096.jpeg
IMG_6101.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6110.jpeg
    IMG_6110.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 7
We survived our 9 hour two-table Game 100 offering of The Executive Game at TGC.

The Donkey Suite was outfitted with a ton of food, the bank was packed, and we seated 18.

Only a few pics because I always forget. The Godfather played ahead whole point ($100 in our world). I think they took pity on me or something.

This gracious group also, without any prodding (ok, I reminded them a couple of times) covered all the entrees in the Suite. Water, pop, candy, chips, and Dunkin’ Donuts are never part of those mathematics.

Two tables is a lot for my room sound wise and a lot for me people wise. It’ll be back to my one table operation for the foreseeable future.

Jump on back to the Concurrent Builds thread for big news in the world of table building here at TGC.

Later folks.

Ken (merkong)
Owner/Operator/Founder
*The Godfather Club MN (The Venue)
*The Executive Game, Eagan MN (Current Game)
*Frogtown Card Club, St. Paul (Retired)
*The Poker Family (Our Philosophy

IMG_6122.jpeg
IMG_6120.jpeg
IMG_6119.jpeg
IMG_6116.jpeg
IMG_6114.jpeg
IMG_6114.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom