The ChipGuide just accused me of Copyright Infringement? (2 Viewers)

Is the argument being made that “My pictures of chips I owned at the time of the photo are mine, even after I sell the chips?”

I am not advocating one way or another, just trying to understand the request.

Said in the most respectful way, of course.
My lawyer has issued the following statement on my behalf:

Picture_20200511_212524611.png

Is the argument being made that “My pictures of chips I owned at the time of the photo are mine, even after I sell the chips?”

I don't think so -- he claims he still owns the chip, too. Which is utter BS.

I don't think so -- he claims he still owns the chip, too. Which is utter BS.
After I sent him photos this was his reply right after this OP was created, haven’t heard back since so figure he got around to actually looking at my photos.

E1BF8F6D-C793-42C7-ABEE-1B3665790092.jpeg

It’s my impression (correct me if I’m wrong please) that many MANY of the photos in TCG are submitted by others and not his own chips which would make him claim pretty outlandish. Maybe he sends similar follow up language to everyone since it’s usually in these cases it is an uncredited TCG photo but in this case it was clearly not.

After I sent him photos this was his reply right after this OP was created, haven’t heard back since so figure he got around to actually looking at my photos.

View attachment 456878

It’s my impression (correct me if I’m wrong please) that many MANY of the photos in TCG are submitted by others and not his own chips which would make him claim pretty outlandish. Maybe he sends similar follow up language to everyone since it’s usually in these cases it is an uncredited TCG photo but in this case it was clearly not.
ms9UBDj.png
middle-finger_light-skin-tone_1f595-1f3fb_1f3fb.png

View attachment 456878

This guy needs to give it a rest...

This guy needs to give it a rest...
I think he's done. Just gave boiler plate responses until he found out he was in the wrong then faded into the night as mysteriously as he came. I think he needs to come up with some more friendly pre-written responses though that give him an out if in fact the person took the photo themselves but I'm sure this was a 1 out of 100 case for him.

That is the exact same chip, aligned the exact same way. Look at the black dot on the inlay at 4 o'clock (between the A and C). Also the "grime" in the mold above the hat at 1 o'clock and in the hat at 2 o'clock. Not to mention the spots are EXACTLY the same.

Maybe you now own the exact chip that was in the Chip Guide photo. So strange.

Edit: and your photo is much better than the Chip Guide photo. Ask them to update the photo to yours. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

And make him give you credit for the pic!

You can't sue for infringement of a copyright in the US and there are no such damages unless the copyright has been registered with the copyright office of the Library of Congress, and very, very, very, very few are.

I’m going to call my former law school dean and tell him he’s full of shit and ask him why I wasted my time taking his copyright class if we can’t sue people for infringement.

How is this guy not on PCF though? He's gotta be!

Crazy that he thinks he owns that chip, when you obviously own the chip in that picture Lmao

View attachment 456878

YGBFKM

**** Edit ****
For the record, you are correct. The Chipguide is comprised of pictures submitted by people and the pics are used with permission. I've submitted a few.

Another photographer here who's had the unfortunate experience of photos being stolen (sometimes inadvertently, where we were able to reach to a civilized agreement). So yes, I see why he wants to protect his photos, but before sending any C&D, he should be DAMN sure it's his photo. Just recognizing the very chip is not good enough.

Not excusing, just saying for what it’s worth I think it was an automated takedown.

YGBFKM

**** Edit ****
For the record, you are correct. The Chipguide is comprised of pictures submitted by people and the pics are used with permission. I've submitted a few.

In his slight defense he is claiming that the scan is in fact his on the Chipguide. They do list who contributed the chip.

CI.png

The validity of his claim? No clue. Is he representing this image as his? It appears so.

Assuming he sold that exact chip and @ReallyGoodUsername has ended up with it would be irrelevant to his claim since if it is his scan it is his picture. No longer not owning the specific chip wouldn't matter. The problem with that is that his request is really, really stupid. Let him use the damn image.

EDIT: I missed a detail that made this entire post moot. Ignore.

Last edited:
Owning the exact chip featured in a chip guide probably happens more than we know. Tastes in collections can change over time, horse trading and estate sales are how many chips change hands so it has to happen, no?

This is fun, my 11 Manila Bay small crowns are the same ones used in the chip guide. Check out the serial names and click on the link.

http://www.themogh.org/cg_chip2.php?id=phmamb&s=0

MBC_Back.jpg

Assuming he sold that exact chip and @ReallyGoodUsername has ended up with it would be irrelevant to his claim since if it is his scan it is his picture. No longer not owning the specific chip wouldn't matter. The problem with that is that his request is really, really stupid. Let him use the damn image.
Point is - his scan/picture was not used, he just assumed it was without even checking the picture in question (correct me if I'm wrong, @ReallyGoodUsername ).

Point is - his scan/picture was not used, he just assumed it was without even checking the picture in question (correct me if I'm wrong, @ReallyGoodUsername ).
I think the fact that it is not the same picture, and that this can be demonstrated quite easily are the problem here. He should be saying something like "thanks for producing a higher resolution picture than the original scan. Is it OK if we use this for the ChipGuide pic?" Instead of "I am ChipGuide!. Stop or else!"

You can't sue for infringement of a copyright in the US and there are no such damages unless the copyright has been registered with the copyright office of the Library of Congress, and very, very, very, very few are.
The music industry spent the last 25 years on the internet suing people and issuing takedowns for copyright violations.
Copyright just exists. As soon as you create something. You can register it if you want, but it is not necessary.
You DEFINITELY register trademarks and patents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom