Terminology question (1 Viewer)

Choker

Sitting Out
Reaction score
As I understand it, "nut" is the term for the best possible hand that can be made from the board. Is there a term for the best possible opposing hand (if my hand contains a card that spoils the actual nut)?

If not, any suggestions for one?

Thanks...

Well, your knowledge alters what the nuts are in that case.

If you have 10H and 6H, and the board comes 8H, 9H, and QH, you now know that JH and 10H is not the nuts. The "nuts" is not a straight flush unless a JH shows up on the board. If it doesn't, and there are no pairs, then the nuts just became an A high flush. You might be the only player who knows that.

Other names suggested might be good, but I'm just clarifying that the nuts isn't always a possible hand.

Seems like a thread I should be participating in, but I'm not sure how to answer this so I'll just post a tune from a favorite band that played college campuses back in the day.

If you have the nuts, you have them. It is the unbeatable hand.

If you have a really good hand but not the best, second nuts.

As I understand it, "nut" is the term for the best possible hand that can be made from the board. Is there a term for the best possible opposing hand (if my hand contains a card that spoils the actual nut)?

If not, any suggestions for one?

Thanks...
If you have a card the spoils what is the best possible hand, making that hand no longer possible and your current hand the best possible hand then you now have the nuts.

For example, if the board was :th::jh::qh: :2c::7s:the best possible hand anyone could have is :kh::ah:, but if you have :9h::kh: you have the nuts since it is no longer possible for anyone to have a better straight flush.

a "nutcracker" (lol) would be more like this:
:th::qh::ah::4s::9c: on the board and you have :kh::2h: now you have the nut flush and best possible hand since the straight flush is no longer possible. But if you had :kh::as:, you'd block the ultimate nut hand without having the best possible hand.

effective nuts. you can also use this in cases where the action eliminates certain hands.

for example if you have Ks Qs and the flop comes

As 3s 4s

the nuts would clearly be the straight flush As 2s 3s 4s 5s but if there is significant preflop action you can eliminate 2s 5s from your opponent's range. the effective nuts in this case would your flush.

Last edited:
The other term I will use is a LOCK HAND. I use this like in the above examples where you block the absolute nuts hand from being possible and your hand can’t lose.

Most often I use it when I have a hand like AQ on a board of AAQ57.

In this hand you can’t lose, only be tied.

What annoys me is when somebody holding the :4c::6c: says they flopped the nuts when the :3d::5h::7h: come out. Yes, that is the nuts, technically, but you really need to think of it as the nuts for now, because there are 17 different cards that could hit the turn, (and COUNTLESS combinations of turn and river cards) making that hand the nuts no more.
To me, this is a much more important concept in Omaha than in Hold em, but it’s important to keep in mind in all games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom