Cash Game Taming The Wild West (2 Viewers)

GrindstonePoker

Two Pair
Reaction score
There is a small number of guys out of my overall player pool that play no limit mixed games regularly. I’ve dubbed this game The Wild West because it’s not uncommon to see a $40 bet on the first 3 cards in a 7 stud game. I have no problem playing in this game but I always feel exhausted after. My more casual players steer completely away from cash games after tournaments because of the way the swings of this cash game goes.

I want to start growing the after tournament game but don’t want to lose the Wild West players because they are the ones I can almost always count on showing up.

I’m wondering if I should have the cash game start out as a fixed limit game for the first 1.5 - 2 hours and then open it up to Wild West after that. What limits would be good to not make the casuals feel too uncomfortable and yet keep the Wild ones interested in playing?

Our tournaments typically wrap up around 10pm and the hardcore degens have no problem playing into the early hours of the morning.

I think as long as you can convince them to stop playing big bet stud, then all should be fine. Most other games work fine as PL or NL. But PL or NL stud is just insanity.

If you go the limit route, it entirely depends on how much people are buying in for and how big the pots typically get. Need that info to make a suggestion for limits.

NL stud is completely insane and I honestly hate playing it but they’ve been playing a lot longer than I’ve hosted so I don’t want to push them away. They are good guys and lots of fun to hangout with but they just like to play crazy

most of the players are comfortable buying in around $60

I am assuming you are the host? If so, I would talk to these guys about it and see how they could compromise this game to be more accommodating to your other guests. Recommend either: PLO, PLO8, or NLHE only after tourneys, or LIMIT mixed.

Include them in on the decision making and it should be fine. But remember, it's YOUR game, not theirs.

Then 1/2 or 2/4 limit sounds like the right size. A typical buy-in for a limit game is 15-30 big bets. So $30-60 for 1/2 or $60-$120 for 2/4.

So blinds in those games would be half the limit size. And Stud will be a little weird depending on chips values in play.

For 1/2 stud, ante can be anything between .10 - .25 and bring in anything from .25 - .50.

For 2/4 stud, just double that.

Though I recommended experimenting with a single player posting all the antes for the table rounding up or down to nearest .25 as you see fit. Just use an "ante" button.

Yeah, LIMIT is always the answer that I want to give to these questions....it's just tough to get people to buy in to it. I personally love playing 7stud. No way in hell I would play NL stud though. Just makes no sense to me.

I’m wondering if I should have the cash game start out as a fixed limit game for the first 1.5 - 2 hours and then open it up to Wild West after that.
This is probably a great way to include as many people as possible in the cash game and make them all happy. Please let us know how it works out!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom