Strange home game rules you have run into? (1 Viewer)

We used to play at my sister-in-laws every new year’s night for pennies. House rule (from her childhood) was that you HAD to wear underwear on your head. It could be clean underwear, but it had to be underwear.

I wish I weren’t making this up, but it is still better than that game without table stakes and all the IOUs.

We play if you mickie the deal it's a shot but u can make a rule that if broken the person drinks a shot and then makes a new rule and so on,,,,,,good times

XX - XX . XX - The rule at a local game whereas in the hours between 8:30pm-11pm poker is secondary to getting slammed. 11:00pm-3am poker, but with the “you’re trying to fuck with me” after every raise mentality...:meh:

"Cold water is 'designed to get clothing clean...'"

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. And on the 2nd day, God created cold water so humans could clean the clothes they will one day be wearing...

I'm sure you know this, but it should read "Cold water detergent is designed to get clothing clean . . . " That is a funny typo, though.

If the board is A234x, does Kx beat 5x? Or is the wheel higher than a K-wrap?
Never having played this way, my thoughts would be if any of it wraps, then it is a lower straight, and the last card that completes is the high value of the card. So QKA23 is a 3 high straight, and A2345 is a 5 high straight. But who knows.

Never having played this way, my thoughts would be if any of it wraps, then it is a lower straight, and the last card that completes is the high value of the card. So QKA23 is a 3 high straight, and A2345 is a 5 high straight. But who knows.

If I ever played it this way (I wouldn't), I would have to agree that the last card determines the value.
The bigger questions is that you might have to rank any straight in this game as below a three of a kind. Someone do the math.

If I ever played it this way (I wouldn't), I would have to agree that the last card determines the value.
The bigger questions is that you might have to rank any straight in this game as below a three of a kind. Someone do the math.

so you could have a 2 high straight (or even a 1?)? Would make for some vicious high/low games

so you could have a 2 high straight (or even a 1?)? Would make for some vicious high/low games
Couldn't have a 1 high straight, that would be Ace high. But sure maybe a 2 high straight - JQKA2.

Those weird wraparounds wouldn't qualify as a low necessarily - still 5 cards 8 and under.

But I agree, it would change the dynamic - the straight draws would be more disguised for sure, 34 and 23 would play much better with broadway boards. Yikes.

Friend took me to a game where it turns out they played all kinds of wild card games and didn’t play table stakes. I found it out about the stakes when i raised a guy to all in his $30 stack with $100 in front of me ... and he dug into his pocket to re-raise me for more than I had, and if I didn’t want to lose the hand I had to call the whole raise. It was more than I had on me, and they said I could go IOU. If I wanted to raise more, I could. I pointed out the concept of table stakes. It was an insane conversation. I folded and got the hell out of there...

circa 2001, when we first started dabbling in hold'em tournaments instead of dealer's choice, we would only raise the blinds when someone busted out. looking back, I can't fathom how we ever finished a tournament.
There must have been some precedent for that. Ive read it more than once.

No one wants want to get hit in the head with a mango. The mango bounty just helps dull the pain. Several people really flinch/cower hard and the rest of us just have our fingers crossed. It has been long enough that we figure someone's time is near.

I love this one. Reminds me of one year camping with my buddies, one guy brought a potato gun. When it was dark and we were all sitting around the campfire, he placed it vertical in the (almost) center of our ring and shot one straight up. Everyone scattered, ducked-and-covered, ran under the canopy, etc. But Darryl decided to play the odds, sat right where he was and kept playing his guitar. And 5 seconds later, took a potato meteorite straight to the dome.

circa 2001, when we first started dabbling in hold'em tournaments instead of dealer's choice, we would only raise the blinds when someone busted out. looking back, I can't fathom how we ever finished a tournament.

We used to raise the blinds via normal schedule, but then ALSO raised them when a player busted out!
We really had no idea at first.

First tournament I ever played we were 12 players split up at 2 tables. My table decided to raise the blinds once every second orbit. After a while we realized we were a bit behind the other table and started raising them every orbit instead. When we were down to three the host came over and said "hey, let's squeeze in at our table, I think we all fit there now".
We were like "Sure! What are the blinds?"

Last edited:
When players in the blinds/button busted, they moved the button way up resulting in players skipping their blinds completely. I said "whoa whoa, you were just under the gun you can't skip your blinds" their response "In our game you can, it's just luck of the draw" :banghead:

Not so much a house rule but played in a friends game that was T3000 and blinds went:

25/50
50/100
150/300
200/400
300/600 etc :banghead:

Chips were naturally White = 25, Blue = 50, Black =100, Green = 500. :banghead:

My friend's poker group is made up of some pretty green guys. So I gave him some plastic cards and cut cards to upgrade a little bit. The table captain grabs the cut card and says "Nice try, you can see the bottom card when you put the deck over it" :banghead:

That blind structure and those chip colors would totally tilt me.

I don't see the point is using a dealer button in a self-dealt game. You can see who the dealer is. He's the one with the deck of cards, you know, dealing. I've only used a button when there is a full-time dealer.
We use two decks (one being shuffled while the other is dealt) and often someone deals for the dealer if they are not at their seat. The button helps in both cases.

We use two decks (one being shuffled while the other is dealt) and often someone deals for the dealer if they are not at their seat. The button helps in both cases.

Agree, and another reason. The dealer will often put down the deck off to the side to play his hand, which confuses anybody looking for the dealer at that point.

I've told this story before. One time, sitting at a smallish octagonal table, someone suggested we remove the button as it was obvious who is the dealer. The suggestion was generally rejected by myself and others at the table. A few minutes later, there was a question about who is the dealer because the guy had put the deck down to the side, and button was missing from the table. I inquired what happened to the button (knowing full well who removed it). The person sheepishly put it back on the table, and I tried my best not to make a big deal of why they would go against the table's wishes.

Bottom line, it slows down the game and introduces potential mistakes.

Agree, and another reason. The dealer will often put down the deck off to the side to play his hand, which confuses anybody looking for the dealer at that point.

I've told this story before. One time, sitting at a smallish octagonal table, someone suggested we remove the button as it was obvious who is the dealer. The suggestion was generally rejected by myself and others at the table. A few minutes later, there was a question about who is the dealer because the guy had put the deck down to the side, and button was missing from the table. I inquired what happened to the button (knowing full well who removed it). The person sheepishly put it back on the table, and I tried my best not to make a big deal of why they would go against the table's wishes.

Bottom line, it slows down the game and introduces potential mistakes.
I understand. Btw, I'm talking about a round table with only 6 players. I just found that just as often, the button is wrong. We're constantly asking, "Is the button right?" I can see on a bigger, oval table, a button could be helpful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom