Strange home game rules you have run into? (5 Viewers)

I understand. Btw, I'm talking about a round table with only 6 players. I just found that just as often, the button is wrong. We're constantly asking, "Is the button right?" I can see on a bigger, oval table, a button could be helpful.
It's a matter of taking responsibility. The last three actions required by the dealer are award the pot, muck the winning hand, and move the dealer button. It's not that hard to do (or remember).

It's a matter of taking responsibility. The last three actions required by the dealer are award the pot, muck the winning hand, and move the dealer button. It's not that hard to do (or remember).
Huh. We have the exact opposite issue, I move the button and someone goes "I already did that"

Well fuckin thanks, next time say "button moved" for me.

Huh. We have the exact opposite issue, I move the button and someone goes "I already did that"

Well fuckin thanks, next time say "button moved" for me.
Even with dedicated dealers, our group is trained to announce the movement of the button by a player. :)

The bar game I play has what I view to be a strange rule (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you raise out of turn, then instead of committing to that raise, you're prohibited from any raise that turn

This happened to me in UTG after the flop. BB has his cards hidden, I bet. I get called out. Now they snigger, and check around the table and "punish" me because they get to see a card for free.

Am I wrong?

The bar game I play has what I view to be a strange rule (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you raise out of turn, then instead of committing to that raise, you're prohibited from any raise that turn

This happened to me in UTG after the flop. BB has his cards hidden, I bet. I get called out. Now they snigger, and check around the table and "punish" me because they get to see a card for free.

Am I wrong?
Haha! Ridiculous, but hilarious.

Am I wrong?
That’s super dumb

Unless your group has been playing together for 20 years with no button.

Am I wrong?

I’ve never felt a need to penalize a raise out of turn beyond the raise getting taken back and now everyone who was skipped knows the guy was going to raise... but if an additional penalty was needed I would like this.

I’ve never felt a need to penalize a raise out of turn beyond the raise getting taken back and now everyone who was skipped knows the guy was going to raise... but if an additional penalty was needed I would like this.

That is definitely a strange house rule! Not a normal procedure anywhere I’ve played.

Am I wrong?
So raise out of turn every time you want it to be checked around. Easy game.

A buddy always has tournaments and runs them poorly in general. Dumbest thing is rebuys are allowed for like an hour, sometimes more if he feels like it, but even though the rebuy is the same $$ as the buy in you only get a HALF of the original starting stack

A buddy always has tournaments and runs them poorly in general. Dumbest thing is rebuys are allowed for like an hour, sometimes more if he feels like it, but even though the rebuy is the same $$ as the buy in you only get a HALF of the original starting stack
At least that might discourage "No Fold-em Hold-em". I play in a league where it's the opposite - full stacks for 1/2 price, with two rebuys in the first two hours (of a 4 hour game). You can probably predict the result.

I learned as a kid that a spade buries you, a club hits you over the head, diamonds are valuable but hearts are the most valuable. So I've always enforced that strength-of-suits and still do to this day. In practice, it only applies in the instance of identical flushes or straight flushes in a circus game. Twenty years, never came into play - besides for 1-card showdown games such as Cut The Deck or One Card Draw.

I actually at one time nearly started this rule. We had so many rebuys, I would do full stack 1-4 rebuys, then 500 less each rebuy after that. Didn't reach that point, but there were conversations.

At least that might discourage "No Fold-em Hold-em". I play in a league where it's the opposite - full stacks for 1/2 price, with two rebuys in the first two hours (of a 4 hour game). You can probably predict the result.
I actually at one time nearly started this rule. We had so many rebuys, I would do full stack 1-4 rebuys, then 500 less each rebuy after that. Didn't reach that point, but there were conversations.

I could see those. This is more.... a lot of these guys never rebuy and play short stacked so they all complain about rebuys in the first place saying they’re unfair, so he tries to make it ‘fair’

a lot of these guys never rebuy and play short stacked so they all complain about rebuys in the first place saying they’re unfair, so he tries to make it ‘fair’
I don't mind rebuys from the perspective of allowing a player who busts out early due to a bad beat a chance to get back in, so he can spend time with his buddies and enjoy the evening (although that's what they make cash games for). I don't necessarily like them when the game gets to the point where several of the players start throwing chips around without caring about the value of their hand (or yours) because "hey, that's what rebuys are for".

Not sure how its "fair" or "unfair" if you charge full price for a full stack. Encouraging rebuys by discounting the buy-in by 50% seems unfair to those who play solid poker and take the time to grow their stack. Charging full price for a half stack would discourage the splashiness, I suppose, but handicaps and penalizes the player who busts out through a bad turn of cards on an otherwise well played hand. At least they have a chance to keep playing, albeit at a serious disadvantage.

When i was young we would always play 5 card draw. Some people thought it was weird because i grew up where you can draw 4 cards if you are holding an Ace and we showed the ace before we got the draw. Also, we would deal 3 in a row then burn one and deal the 4th. We would sometimes play wild cards like Nickels and Dimes or 4's and Wh*res or DEUCES! If you are dealing, you call out before the deal if there will be wild cards and what the wild cards will be. To me it was poker but later on some people would say "what the hell are you doing?' hahaha Many fun hands and good times with cheap plastic chips.

Not super weird as some of the rules in this thread, but one home game I visited once had a "donk hand" rule, where if you played 7-2 offsuit and win the hand after the flop, everyone on the tables pays you $5. I've seen it online where they'd have it be 3-2 or something, but this was the first low-hand rule I encountered. The best part was that it only came into play once all night when I was big blind. All 8 others limped in, I checked, 72 came on the flop so I raised 3x blind, everyone folds. I show it and get $40 easy, haha!

I learned as a kid that a spade buries you, a club hits you over the head, diamonds are valuable but hearts are the most valuable. So I've always enforced that strength-of-suits and still do to this day. In practice, it only applies in the instance of identical flushes or straight flushes in a circus game. Twenty years, never came into play - besides for 1-card showdown games such as Cut The Deck or One Card Draw.

I guess you don't play any stud, eh?

it Has to do with the bring in bet for 7 card stud. Lowest card is the bring in forced bet. Goes by suit if there are 2 of the same card like 2 deuces.

it Has to do with the bring in bet for 7 card stud. Lowest card is the bring in forced bet. Goes by suit if there are 2 of the same card like 2 deuces.

Ah yes, okay. I dabbled in .10/.20 stud online but the software just does everything and I never noticed. At the home game... Okay wait a min, yeah lowest card acts first on first street, lol, he's right - the rule does play.

It's always an ante game no bring-in so it never really is something anyone takes notice of.

Most 7 stud games are ante, and a bring in. No free rides

Ah yes. Limit stud, man. I remember playing online for typical limits and a bring-in being 16 cents? What's with that, think it was 40% BB but I can't recall the formula.

I learned my stud rules on Super Nintendo's Vegas Stakes in like 1994 and it's had my perception all warped ever since.

Played one game long time ago with some old timers who were ADAMANT that you can't check-raise period. I understand that back in the day, check-raising was either not permitted or extremely frowned upon, but that was decades ago.
Never played in one, but I have heard of more than one game banning check raises. Being primarily a limit player, that would mean me finding some other game.

Not sure where that ranking came from, but as far as I know, if suits are ever needed (stud for bring-in) it goes spades (high), hearts, diamonds, clubs (low). Reverse alphabetical.

Not sure where that ranking came from, but as far as I know, if suits are ever needed (stud for bring-in) it goes spades (high), hearts, diamonds, clubs (low). Reverse alphabetical.

I am severely NOT a fan of suits being ranked. @Lil Tuna does this in his game for the bring-in on stud, which isnt that big of a deal. However, if someone told me my ace high flush lost to a king high flush because of suits, I would go aggro.

Your ace high flush would still win, you wouldn't have an identical flush in that case.

That being said, the only time I could see using suits as a deciding factor at a poker table would be in a chip race, or to decide the bring-in in a stud game. Otherwise hell no.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom