Cash Game Starting Stack Logic - A Real Question (1 Viewer)

Thanks! Would you say it's enough as in there is rarely a time players need to make change? Or enough as in players make change somewhat regularly but it's not a hassle at all?
Change is made, but no hassle to anyone, most times if they call the blind, they put in a dollar announcing a call and taking the previous players .50c...the hassle would be counting everyone out with excessive. 25c chips to us.

TLDRed the thread, so it may have been mentioned, but in our game, we rotate the deal, two decks. So when it's your turn to deal, there's a deck in front of you with a cut card in top. Cut it and start the deal. Easy, right?

There are a couple guys who will stack a pot they won before they start to deal. It drives me crazy. We all wait while they stack their chips. This is made worse if there are a ton of small chips in the pot.

IMO, 12x25¢ is fine. Anything more is also fine, but overkill. 8x25¢ is shortish, but can work.

There is a difference in the way the game plays if you start with

12x25¢
17x$1
6x$5

compared to when you start with

8x25¢
8x$1
8x$5

One guideline I use is to put out 30-50 chips per person for the initial buy-in no matter what the stakes. People like having a nice stack of chips to start.

This, and even MoAr if you're playing limit! I couldn't stand it if I only had 8 quarters, or 12 for that matter, in my stack. 16 minimum, but again preferably a full barrel.

For re-buys I also have a few extra barrels of the $1 workhorse chips, and the rest are $5 value chip.

More chip, more fun!

Last edited:
TLDRed the thread, so it may have been mentioned, but in our game, we rotate the deal, two decks. So when it's your turn to deal, there's a deck in front of you with a cut card in top. Cut it and start the deal. Easy, right?

There are a couple guys who will stack a pot they won before they start to deal. It drives me crazy. We all wait while they stack their chips. This is made worse if there are a ton of small chips in the pot.

IMO, 12x25¢ is fine. Anything more is also fine, but overkill. 8x25¢ is shortish, but can work.

12x25¢
17x$1
6x$5

8x25¢
8x$1
8x$5
8 per player gives more than enough on the table, 80 quarters is lots and of the night we don't waste a pile of time counting all those extras that imo are over kill, as they are used for blinds and work horse is the $1.00 and $5.00's. Try it out, your hosts and players alike will thank you after those big win cash outs!

12x25¢
17x$1
6x$5

8x25¢
8x$1
8x$5
I've been doing 12 x .25 and 22x$1 for a .25/.50 game and that has been great. I would have gone 17 for the $1s, but the set was short on $5s, so i figured why not save some $5's out of the gate and get more $1s on the table? I like it. But we're talking about minor variations. I've always thought that one rack of quarters and two racks of ones is the perfect amount - I wouldn't want any more or any less.

I like lots of chips. We play 5/5 SEK ($0.5/0.5) with 1k buy-ins of:

5 x 30
25 x 22
100 x 3

7D7EF0FF-9907-4086-AF4B-961107C59CE2.jpeg

I've been doing 12 x .25 and 22x$1 for a .25/.50 game and that has been great. I would have gone 17 for the $1s, but the set was short on $5s, so i figured why not save some $5's out of the gate and get more $1s on the table? I like it. But we're talking about minor variations. I've always thought that one rack of quarters and two racks of ones is the perfect amount - I wouldn't want any more or any less.
I agree. 120 fracs can support a 10-person game with 12x25¢ in starting stacks, but my OCD has issues with the odd barrel of fracs. If you go with 100 fracs, you can still give out 12x25¢ in the first 8 starting stacks. Player #9 and #10 get 4 and 0 fracs respectively, but there are enough on the table by that time.

20 fracs per player and the rest in $1’s. Don’t break out the $5’s until all your $1’s are on the table.

Last edited:
20 francs per player and the rest in $1’s. Don’t break out the $5’s until all your $1’s are on the table.
This ^^^

I have a similar stakes game, with newish beginners. I have 1 rack of quarters, I get them all out on the table with the first five buy ins. The rest in 1s. And I have plenty of 1s! As we are getting ready for the first hand, first beer etc, I tell players to exchange Fracs so they get spread around. Occasionally someone will exchange for Fracs with his neighbour during the night. No big deal.

I’m a big fan or MOAR chips. Particularly for newish players. Everyone wants a decent stack in front of them, doesn’t matter how little the chip is worth. It also encourages betting. People try to hold on to those stored value chips!

If I am playing 25c/50c or $1/$2 I give 20 Lowest denomination to the first 5 person and keep the number at 100 as I will rather invest more in workhorse chip which is $1 or $5 in this case

If I am playing 50c/$1 I will give 10 Lowest denomination (50c) to each instead

Last edited:
I enjoy having lots of chips in play and so do the others I play with. I make sure to give newer players more of the lower denomination chips so it’s less intimidating and people can have bigger stacks.

Everybody wants more chips in play - that's a given. It looks good, encourages action, etc. No arguments here.

The ultimate question is: can you afford it? For us low stakes players, it comes down to fracs, which on average are probably the most expensive chips to acquire. Finding a suitable candidate, acquiring enough at a reasonable price. Milling or delabelling costs and time, label production, it all adds up.

The 0.25/0.50 games I have played in have never required more than 100 quarters. And that's a good thing if your second rack will cost you more than $600 in procurement and effort.

Thanks! Would you say it's enough as in there is rarely a time players need to make change? Or enough as in players make change somewhat regularly but it's not a hassle at all?
No hassle at all, you will sometimes find a player had a tower of .25c chips and always happy to sell to others for $1.00's

I agree. 120 fracs can support a 10-person game with 12x25¢ in starting stacks, but my OCD has issues with the odd barrel of fracs. If you go with 100 fracs, you can still give out 12x25¢ in the first 8 starting stacks. Player #9 and #10 get 4 and 0 fracs respectively, but there are enough on the table by that time.
If you have OCD then try 8x.25 8X$1.00 8x $5.00 problem solved, and no unnecessary excessive fracs on the table, nor odd-numbers of chips

If you go with 100 fracs, you can still give out 12x25¢ in the first 8 starting stacks. Player #9 and #10 get 4 and 0 fracs respectively, but there are enough on the table by that time.

If you have OCD then try 8x.25 8X$1.00 8x $5.00 problem solved, and no unnecessary excessive fracs on the table, nor odd-numbers of chips
I'd rather make sure there are enough fracs to start than to trickle them in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom