Tourney Starting stack differences? (T25) (1 Viewer)

Hairy_Crocodile

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hey all!

I was wondering what the different starting stacks do to game play, and why people prefer some over others.

For example, I see
--12/12/5/6/x
--8/8/4/7/x
--8/8/6/6/2

and finally, the one my local bar uses for our free T25 tournaments:
--4/4/3/3/1
and then they add a 10k chip on the end occasionally. We make change with the dealers constantly.

Do some just improve game play due to less change making? Do they make people play differently (Play tighter vs more aggressive)?
Now that I am trying to play tournaments and learn how they work, I want to understand what starting stacks do for game play.

Last edited:
the one my local bar uses for our free T25 tournaments:
--4/4/3/3/1
and then they add a 10k chip on the end occasionally. We make change with the dealers constantly.

Too few chips and the game will slow down too much because change is constantly needed. Too many chips and the game will slow down too much to count chips.

--12/12/5/6/x
--8/8/4/7/x
--8/8/6/6/2
These are happy mediums. Which one is the "best" is up to debate and personal opinion.

I think the 12/12/5/6/x is generally preferred around here. I know I do.
4/4/3/3/1 sounds like a major pita
We have 3 tables most nights lately, and a dealer for each one that basically makes change constantly with whoever needs it. So If person to my left bets 100, I can toss in my 500 and the dealer will make change with whats in the pot or in their rack at the end of that round of betting.

I hate it, but I assume they do it that way so they dont have to worry about having too few chips for all of their players

I use 12/17/6/10/1 for our T20k and it works well. T100 and T1000 workhorses in plenty. Minimal changing, but not enough to cause too many chips at the table.

You can get into some rough situations with that 4/4/3/1 breakdown. There may be instances where no more than one person can break a chip. At least with 8/8/x, at least half the table should have enough small chips to break one chip if the second denom.

I am honestly surprised this tournament operates. It must get ground to a halt to figure out change at least a few times.

You can get into some rough situations with that 4/4/3/1 breakdown. There may be instances where no more than one person can break a chip. At least with 8/8/x, at least half the table should have enough small chips to break one chip if the second denom.

I am honestly surprised this tournament operates. It must get ground to a halt to figure out change at least a few times.
We have a dedicated dealer for every table with a rack of extra chips for change/color ups.

The guy that runs the free event has done it for so long, it's all second nature for him and the dealers.

It runs faster and smoother than youd think tbh. I just bitch because I hate having so few chips and having to really pay attention to the bets being just calls or raises. It does force me to pay attention more though, which is probably a good thing I guess.

I guess having the extra chips in the rack helps avoid the situations I was thinking, but it probably would be easier to just distribute them to players in the first place.

But I am glad it runs.

I guess having the extra chips in the rack helps avoid the situations I was thinking, but it probably would be easier to just distribute them to players in the first place.

But I am glad it runs.
I agree, but it's not my event, so I let it go basically. I'd love better starting stacks, but if it has been running smoothly for years without complaints or issues, I'm not going to try and force a change.

The regular players dont have any complaints, and I go there to have fun playing cards and shoot the shit with the people at the table. No reason for me to pee in someone's cheerios if everyone is happy is the way I look at it.

The only real complaint that actually bothers me is the unorthodox chip colors for a T25 base (blue 25s, grey 100s, red 500s, black 1000s, yellow 5000s, pink 10000s), mismatched chips for each color (each color is the same chip type, but each denomination is a different chip type), the labels are all worn out on them so new players that aren't regulars at this event constantly have to ask about chip values....again, its bar poker and they are free events....but this does bother me alot more than the stacks do.

I agree, but it's not my event, so I let it go basically. I'd love better starting stacks, but if it has been running smoothly for years without complaints or issues, I'm not going to try and force a change.
Oh I understand that completely. I am just surprised the issues haven't come up enough to force a change. But dedicated dealers and reserved change I can see solving some of those issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom