Starting my budget 58" round (1 Viewer)

Here you go, and only $8.90. I'd probably take off the stupid weather cap. And you'll still need a USB hub underneath the table to plug them all into...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCA9XEI

It looks like it's meant for cars, but it comes with a mounting bracket that you can screw into the underside of the table...

1580164902130.png

Or you can go with the 2-port option, and distribute 4 of them between every other seat around the table. Two players then share one charger...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66N1JK/ref=psdc_464394_t1_B01NCA9XEI

Last edited:
Here you go, and only $8.90. I'd probably take off the stupid weather cap. And you'll still need a USB hub underneath the table to plug them all into...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCA9XEI

It looks like it's meant for cars, but it comes with a mounting bracket that you can screw into the underside of the table...

View attachment 398744

Or you can go with the 2-port option, and distribute 4 of them between every other seat around the table. Two players then share one charger...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66N1JK/ref=psdc_464394_t1_B01NCA9XEI
Thanks! There is even a cheaper version for about $5.90 there too. If I had not already bought my cables from Monoprice, I would just do that right now. I may still go that route if I don't figure out a way to mount what I have. I came up with an idea that I think might make mounting them into the plywood easier than I thought. There will be just 4 single ports around the table, between every other seat as you mentioned. People don't need to charge that often.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Thanks! There is even a cheaper version for about $5.90 there too. If I had not already bought my cables from Monoprice, I would just do that right now. I may still go that route if I don't figure out a way to mount what I have. I came up with an idea that I think might make mounting them into the plywood easier than I thought. There will be just 4 single ports around the table, between every other seat as you mentioned. People don't need to charge that often.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions!

If you're locked into the Monoprice cables, I'd just use some construction adhesive to mount the USB port to the underside of the table, and then use a screw-in cable-clamp right behind the USB port so there is something rigid to push against. Just make sure the cable clamp is the right size.

By drilling in from the outside edge, that makes it pretty simple to work down with a chisel. I tested it on a scrap piece. The ply will be screwed into the bottom of the rail, so just have get the depth right so that the pressure will help hold it without ruining it.
20200128_233528.jpg

A friend of mine does some wood work. Explained to him what I was doing, and he said bring it over. Wound up using a drill press to carve out the wood for the USB ports.
20200204_124300.jpg

Here is my budget LED diffuser system. I use a clear plastic corner guard, made for protecting the corners of sheet rocked walls.
20200204_123107_001.jpg

20200204_123341.jpg

For the last one I did years ago, the white tape on it was wider and covered almost the whole plastic. Could not find one like that, so bought white masking tape and carefully applied it on the inside. Then needed to snip the side that will screw to the wood rail every few inches so it would bend.

Here it is applied.
20200204_124836.jpg

20200204_124929.jpg

Dang that thing is looking fantastic. I have a leftover felt for a 60 in round table that I kind of want to use now lol. Wish I was more handy and had work space.

Nice work! You can also look at Sit n Charge for the USB ports. They screw into the table and have 3’ or 6’ cables to plug into a hub.

Decision time!

Okay, I think I've settled on some burgandy suited speed cloth. Got the cheap stuff from Amazon. It's not perfect, but I think it's it. I'm at the point where I need to decide on the base. The pic below shows the metal tilting base it's currently on, along with a wood pedestal. My current thought is to try the metal base and see how it is. What I have to decide now is what color to make the wood edge banding just under the rail. I'm thinking of a black stain. And maybe hammered nickel colored nail heads? If I do that and then decide to use the pedestal, I think I would have to either stain or paint that black. I guess the other option would be a dark brown stain? What do you guys think?
poker table.jpg

Wow, I don't know why that picture is so bad... sorry about that. Everything is taken apart now because I'm putting some fresh paint on the metal base, so I can't take another.

Decision time!

Okay, I think I've settled on some burgandy suited speed cloth. Got the cheap stuff from Amazon. It's not perfect, but I think it's it. I'm at the point where I need to decide on the base. The pic below shows the metal tilting base it's currently on, along with a wood pedestal. My current thought is to try the metal base and see how it is. What I have to decide now is what color to make the wood edge banding just under the rail. I'm thinking of a black stain. And maybe hammered nickel colored nail heads? If I do that and then decide to use the pedestal, I think I would have to either stain or paint that black. I guess the other option would be a dark brown stain? What do you guys think?
View attachment 404746

If you're ok with the look of the metal base and it's sized properly (ie stable enough), I would go with that option. Those bases make for the most comfortable tables, the leg room is practically infinite and you can push chairs all the wat in without hitting pedestal feet.

If you're ok with the look of the metal base and it's sized properly (ie stable enough), I would go with that option. Those bases make for the most comfortable tables, the leg room is practically infinite and you can push chairs all the wat in without hitting pedestal feet.
That's a great point, I didn't even think of that. Any thought about what to do with the wood egebanding?

That's a great point, I didn't even think of that. Any thought about what to do with the wood egebanding?

Either would work. Black probably goes better with the overall look of the bases, but the metal base is slender enough that it visually disappears, so if you like wood accent it should look fine.

Here's a table in all black for reference:

Looking for feedback from people about whether they think black stain and nickel nail heads would be the best route, or other suggestions. Also, would it make any sense to stain the edge banding before installing it so I don't have to worry about getting stain on the rail, or would that cause problems when ironing the banding on?

In the home stretch! Applied the veneer edge banding today. Waiting for the stain to dry, then will install the nail heads. I actually don't love the way it looks. I don't like the inconsistent gap between the padded rail and the wood. Question - do I need to pre-pre-drill for the nail heads? I'm worried that if I don't, the ply will split?
2020-02-20 17.38.08.jpg

Yes on pre-drilling, but more so to keep the nails going in straight. They can really bend/wander if you don't pre-drill.

I thought I would come back to this thread to close it out and post some final pics. I'm very happy with the way it turned out given the low budget I kept myself on. Also, I love playing on a round table! I like being able to see everyone, and dealing is so much easier!
20200326_132608.jpg

20200326_132148.jpg

20200326_134016.jpg

I'll post some other final thoughts later.

Sorry to keep bringing this back up, but I never closed out this thread like I said I would. Some closing thoughts that I hope might help others:

I’m happy with the way the table turned out given the low budget I kept myself on.

I love playing on a round table. I like being able to see everyone and how much easier the dealing is.

I don’t think I will ever do nail heads again. It does dress it up, but it's just not my style. I did it with this table because I was worried about having to stretch the whisper vinyl even further, so it was sort of a necessity.

The 58” size is nice. I would say perfect for 7, might be a little tight for 8, but should be OK. The only game I played on it was with 7. I chose 58” because of 2 factors: 1) was worried about stretching 54” vinyl bigger, 2) Some people said that 60” was a little big to reach pots. Based on my limited time with it so far, I would go with 60” next time, just for the extra room.

DON’T order the cheaper suited speed cloth from Amazon. It’s just flat out inferior to the good stuff in every way. When it came, I immediately contacted Amazon and told them it was defective and to ship a replacement. The two main problems with it were 1) it was 8” shorter than the 3 yards it said it was, 2) there were many defects in the weave. It’s hard to explain, but white uncolored lines show in spots. The replacement cloth came and it was even worse! Discoloration in numerous spots. I wound up keeping the first one because I had a game coming up in a few days and I wanted it done. It was under $20. I will probably use it for a while and have to redo it way before any other cloth.

The only other cost cutting measure I would not recommend is the carpet padding. I can’t really put my finger on what exactly about it I don’t like, but I just don’t like it. Could just be the combination of it and the cheap cloth.

Ha, stupid me did take some pics of it in action in the one game we played with it, but not with an SD card in the camera!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom