Honorable mentions:

Brian Regan
Mitch Hedberg
Lewis Black
Louis CK
Bill Maher
Chris Rock
Adam Carolla
Brian Regan is the one who i’d strike from this list. He can be funny at times, but I’ve found that he can be very unfunny for long stretches of time. If you want a comedian who doesn’t swear, I’d go with Jim Gaffigan.

Brian Regan is the one who i’d strike from this list. He can be funny at times, but I’ve found that he can be very unfunny for long stretches of time. If you want a comedian who doesn’t swear, I’d go with Jim Gaffigan.
I can't say I find him unfunny at times, maybe less funny would be more accurate for me, and that's not even often. Although, I haven't seen his recent material. He's a different style than most of the comics I like, he's more phsical and he's mostly clean. He's one of my favorites because of Opie & Anthony, when back in the day he would be constantly impersonated by Ant and guests of the show, and when he was on the show he really shined. I didn't know who he was at the time until I bought his first CD. I laughed so hard. Then I saw his "I Walked On the Moon" dvd and I never laughed harder. Saw and recorded him live a couple times. So, he's more of a personal favorite, not comparing him against and other comics. Gaffigan is ok, he's funny, but not at the level I find Brian to be at, or what he used to be at.

Top 5 (in no particular order):

Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Patrice O’Neal
Norm MacDonald
Bo Burnham

I haven’t seen anyone mention Patrice yet. The guy was a beast.

And Bo is different but incredibly talented. If you haven’t watched Inside on Netflix yet, go find an hour and a half and treat yourself.

Top 5 (in no particular order):

Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Patrice O’Neal
Norm MacDonald
Bo Burnham

I haven’t seen anyone mention Patrice yet. The guy was a beast.

And Bo is different but incredibly talented. If you haven’t watched Inside on Netflix yet, go find an hour and a half and treat yourself.
I've tried watching Patrice several times. I just don't get it.

Wow. This is the first time I have seen Shane Gillis, really impressed. Laughed out loud several times. Going to see Maniscalco at the United Center Sunday.
My fav Maniscalco clip below
By far the funniest guy around right now. I saw him open his current tour in Nashville in the summer. If I was in town this weekend, I’d go see him again. I’ve seen him about 4 times and he keeps getting funnier and funnier.

I loved Robin Williams much more as an actor than as a stand-up. But certainly a wonderful performer and 100% one of a kind.
The Live on Broadway show he did in the early 2000s (I think!) is hilarious. For sheer entertainment and experiencing his overall genius, though, it’s hard to beat his “set” on “Inside The Actors Studio”.

Oh, I also really like Billy Connolly. Funny man.

Last edited:
By far the funniest guy around right now. I saw him open his current tour in Nashville in the summer. If I was in town this weekend, I’d go see him again. I’ve seen him about 4 times and he keeps getting funnier and funnier.

what else would you recommend of his? i watched the linked clip and it was okay. i definitely chuckled, but his delivery feels a bit forced.

I need to give him another chance. I like him, and want to find him funny, but the funniest thing I’ve seen him in so far was Comedians in Cars Getting Cofffee. He’s a good actor, also - Green Room & Irishman.

what else would you recommend of his? i watched the linked clip and it was okay. i definitely chuckled, but his delivery feels a bit forced.
Same question: what is his best comedy set?

Saw Nate Bargatze at the Chicago Theatre last night. Was hilarious. My cheeks hurt by the end, laughed the whole time.
D2C1962F-3100-460C-A7D9-BA627BF120F6.jpeg

Burr is my favorite right now. He'll be playing Vegas in. march during march madness.

James Acaster- check him out.
I feel like I relate with Bill Burr so well. But a funny thing about him is the he would hate that - he doesn’t want people agreeing with him. And I can relate to that too, ha! I think he might be the funniest guy working, right now. Not that I’d ever put him ahead of Chapelle. But Chapelle has distractions, or interests other than making people laugh.

Anybody watch the new Sebastian Maniscalco special on Netflix? I was disappointed. It just felt darker, kind of angry and not often very funny. I think two years of Covid (and our current world) has damaged this guy.
Agree, felt like a “jump the shark” moment.

We’re fortunate here in AZ in that there are two clubs that seem to be must stop venues for a lot of up and coming comics.

Recent shows that were great:

- Adam Ferrera (plus he loves dogs and supports rescues)
- Dan Soder (Mafee from Billions)
- Whitney Cummings
- Orlando Baxter (saw him when he was still part time 5 years ago and he keeps getting better)
- Chris Distefano

Anybody watch the new Sebastian Maniscalco special on Netflix? I was disappointed. It just felt darker, kind of angry and not often very funny. I think two years of Covid (and our current world) has damaged this guy.
Watched with my wife last night. He’s the only comedian she enjoys. She thought something was definitely off, maybe he powered through an illness to tape it? We were also disappointed. I probably only made it halfway through. Definitely not his best

I watched the Neal Brennan Netflix special and I enjoyed it. I like stand up routines that make some thoughtful insight or point which is why I like chapelle. Brennan is thoughtful honest and pretty darn funny

Please watch my special on Netflix. Jo Koy Live From Seattle. Well, they cut to me and my wife laughing in the audience. TBH, I hammed it up for the cameras.
I just saw him a few weeks ago in Long Beach. Pretty good show overall. He actually performed for like 2 hours and 40 minutes! Not sure if that was because he started off with some social commentary (which IMO was spot on, but not necessarily Funny) or maybe because he got a woman's gender wrong during the show - LMAO (he did a decent job of recovering from that and she was pretty cool about it too).

20221125_231036.jpg

Attachments

• 20221125_231036.jpg
    20221125_231036.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 17
I wonder what you all think about Matt Rife? Women love him because apparently he’s good looking (I think he’s weird looking, but who am I to judge) and he’s got lots of good crowd work videos on social media, but his actual material seems pretty weak to me.

I wonder what you all think about Matt Rife? Women love him because apparently he’s good looking (I think he’s weird looking, but who am I to judge) and he’s got lots of good crowd work videos on social media, but his actual material seems pretty weak to me.
was an article in the nytimes about comedians who are good looking and "how different it is"
I watched his special- he's an asshole. made me cringe. making fun of kids with disabilities without a shred of empathy.
would recommend stavros halkious- new special on netflix
saw John mulaney and Pete Davidson in Detroit last month- mulaney was excellent, Davidson was not funny at all.
bill burr coming to Motown in march- can't wait
oh, also watched Beth stelling-excellent

Last edited:
The GOAT - Eddie Murphy
2nd place - Chris Rock

Honorable mentions (no order):
Andrew Dice Clay
Bill Burr
Jim Jefferies
Louis CK
Ricky Gervais

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom