Cash Game Six-player Cash Game (1 Viewer)

So the bets/raises are capped. So for example you have 5 players let’s say we cap at 5 bets..... first to act bets $1 and everyone raises $1. That round of betting would be maxed at $25? And the “2$” round would be $50? That can add up quick with a $25 buy in.
It rarely goes like that. 98% of hands do not reach the betting cap.

It rarely goes like that. 98% of hands do not reach the betting cap.
Also I think you misunderstood. The cap is $5 on the flop, so no person can put in more than $5 on that round. Once someone raises the 4th time to $5, then everyone can only call the $5.

So the bets/raises are capped. So for example you have 5 players let’s say we cap at 5 bets..... first to act bets $1 and everyone raises $1. That round of betting would be maxed at $25? And the “2$” round would be $50? That can add up quick with a $25 buy in.

In the first round of betting, the betting would be capped at 5 bets/raises, meaning once the bet reached $5 no one could raise any further. So the most that any one bettor could put in the pot during that entire round would be $5, and the most that could be in the pot at that time would be $25. That's the preflop round.

The flop betting round would once again begin with a bet of $1 (supposing someone opened the bet, rather everyone checking). If no one raised and everyone called, then the bet would stay at $1, everyone would put in $1, and the pot would be at $30. If instead one person raised and everyone called, then the bet would be $2, everyone would put in $2, and the pot would be at $35. And if instead everyone raised then the bet would be $5, everyone would put in $5, and the pot would be at $50.

The turn and river would work the same as the flop, except that the betting would start at $2 and each raise would be another $2.

With the betting capped at five bets in each round, then the most each player could put in the pot would be $5 + $5 + $10 + $10 = $30 for the hand, making a $150 pot. This never happens. But it is the theoretical maximum that any one player could lose ($30 in one hand) and the maximum that any one player could win ($150 in one hand). Typical hands might see a bet and a raise preflop, a bet on the flop and turn, and a bet and raise on the river for a total of $9 put in the pot by any one player.

Typical buy-ins for a fixed limit game are anywhere from 10 to 50 big bets. In a $1/$2 limit game, that would be $20 to $100. If that seems too large for your players, consider playing smaller stakes. However, note that a single buy-in lasts much, much longer in a limit game than in a no-limit game. You never have to place your entire stack in jeopardy on a single hand; you just lose it a little bit at a time. So if your players are used to going bust and rebuying over and over in a night of NL, then when they switch to fixed limit they can probably afford to have larger buy-ins and higher stakes.

Last edited:
I love limit, and at the same time hate it. hard to shake the donkeys chasing the draws, just have to let the variance play itself out. I always find longer sessions of limit are better

I love limit, and at the same time hate it. hard to shake the donkeys chasing the draws, just have to let the variance play itself out. I always find longer sessions of limit are better
Limit hold'em is pretty boring, tbh....especially after NLHE. Limit is best played as a mixed game setup. Hell, POKER is better as mixed game! Who's with me!

BRING BACK STUD!
BRING BACK STUD!

just me????

Limit hold'em is pretty boring, tbh....especially after NLHE. Limit is best played as a mixed game setup. Hell, POKER is better as mixed game! Who's with me!

BRING BACK STUD!
BRING BACK STUD!

just me????
6-card stud (just 4 betting rounds) Pot-Limit, with just a tiny dealer ante (equal to one NLHE BB), no bring-in forced bet ("check" option available from the first round).
I 'm willing to try this next year (after a vaccine or medication is in place) :)

BRING BACK STUD!
BRING BACK STUD!

just me????
No. I'm there with you.

I would love to play 8 game mix. Or 10 game (8+ NL 2-7, Badugi). That's mostly what I want to do these days. Though, I'll happily play NLHE is that's all that's available. About the only non-circus game I won't play by itself is PLO.

6-card stud (just 4 betting rounds) Pot-Limit, with just a tiny dealer ante (equal to one NLHE BB), no bring-in forced bet ("check" option available from the first round).
I 'm willing to try this next year (after a vaccine or medication is in place) :)
It's better 7 card with the dealing as 3, 2, 1, 1 I think.

You ever heard of Mississippi stud? You get 5th and 6th street (me think?) at the same time....one less betting round but with 7 cards. I would still rather play limit though.

EDIT: 4th and 5th at the same time.

This is an experiment in the making, so any input is welcome.
4 betting rounds and no forced bet other than an ante, as insignificant as possible, are paramount to keep the game tame in relation to similar NLHE stakes.
Assuming Pot Limit that is, because there isn't ONE soul who can understand or play limit in my country, including of course myself.

If "we" need some more fertility, hand-wise (i.e. 7 cards), what about dealing a single community card in the final betting round, together with the last (6th, face-down) individual card?

I don't have an idea about how the now-defunct 5-card stud and draw poker were played in their motherland, the US.
I know they were played No-Limit by my late parents and their late friends.

This is an experiment in the making, so any input is welcome.
4 betting rounds and no forced bet other than an ante, as insignificant as possible, are paramount to keep the game tame in relation to similar NLHE stakes.
Assuming Pot Limit that is, because there isn't ONE soul who can understand or play limit in my country, including of course myself.

If "we" need some more fertility, hand-wise (i.e. 7 cards), what about dealing a single community card in the final betting round, together with the last (6th, face-down) individual card?

I don't have an idea about how the now-defunct 5-card stud and draw poker were played in their motherland, the US.
I know they were played No-Limit by my late parents and their late friends.

There are soooooo many games out there that don't get played anymore....coming up with new rules for stud seems like reinventing a damn good wheel. Play it stud8 (hi lo with qualifier), stud hilo no qualifier, 5 card stud, razz. Also, just learned how to play badugi at a mini meetup....that game stole my heart. 2-7 triple draw would be awesome. I love O8 LIMIT (not the pot bets), Oklahoma was a wild ride for sure. DAMN I miss live cards!!!

Also, can I just say that I would absolutely KILL to have a group of friends just to play some euchre, hearts, spades with? TONK??? Anybody ever serve enough prison time to learn that game?

Video killed the radio star.

Go find "The Cincinnati Kid" right now.
5 card stud IMO is a dead game for a reason. It's boring as hell.

No Limit 2-7 Single Draw is an amazing game though. And one I always wish people would play more. A lot of math and a lot of knowing the player.

Pot Limit stud is already a thing. So it's not really an experiment. You just don't see it very often. I'd say just keep it to 7 cards. A final community works, and is actually what is done when the deck runs low in normal stud. You still need an ante and a bring in IMO. Just structure them such that the initial pot is similar, or possibly sightly lower than, the blinds in NLHE. My vote is for Mississippi Stud style 3-2-1-1.

So if you are used to playing .25/.50 NLHE, then .05 ante and a .15 - .25 bring in would work well.

There are soooooo many games out there that don't get played anymore....coming up with new rules for stud seems like reinventing a damn good wheel. Play it stud8 (hi lo with qualifier), stud hilo no qualifier, 5 card stud, razz. Also, just learned how to play badugi at a mini meetup....that game stole my heart. 2-7 triple draw would be awesome. I love O8 LIMIT (not the pot bets), Oklahoma was a wild ride for sure. DAMN I miss live cards!!!

Also, can I just say that I would absolutely KILL to have a group of friends just to play some euchre, hearts, spades with? TONK??? Anybody ever serve enough prison time to learn that game?

You every played Tichu? If you like the trick taking and ladder card games, you should check it out.

You just learned Badugi? Great game. Now play Badeucey, 2-7 triple draw and badugi split pot. The nut badugi just changes to 2345.

Man, I openly and (una)shamedly admitted the caveat (NO to "Limit" :))
Just trying to craft a stud version which would not be a guillotine as Pot Limit.

About variety in games:
Sure, I could tell you about endless ways of spreading a board (Pyramid, Appartment Building, Elevator, Pussy or Clock, Bombs, Grenades, Cross, Cross with Thorns, Graveyeard) up to 12-cards strong, with 3 useable hole cards out of 3 [minimum 2 though], or 2 useable out of 4 (that widow-maker, Omaha, is of Greek origin:vomit:).
And with a short deck, 6-up, or even 7-up if somebody died during the game, according to the joke.:D

I don't think any of these games are playable above one-tenth of the comfort level (stakes) players would have at TX-NLHE.:)

Pot Limit stud is already a thing. So it's not really an experiment. You just don't see it very often. I'd say just keep it to 7 cards. A final community works, and is actually what is done when the deck runs low in normal stud.
Perfectly agreed up to there

You still need an ante and a bring in IMO.
Why really? I 'm trying to devise a game with very low initial pots, exactly because of the PL feature.

Just structure them such that the initial pot is similar, or possibly sightly lower than, the blinds in NLHE. My vote is for Mississippi Stud style 3-2-1-1.
I guess I 'll have to study that too:)

So if you are used to playing .25/.50 NLHE, then .05 ante and a .15 - .25 bring in would work well.
In a .25/.50 TXNLHE game, let's say two orbits of TXNLHE and one orbit of "Humanitarian Stud" :D what do you do with the chips?
I guess the "dealer" each time (provided of course it's a full orbit of the game under invention) pays a NLHE Big Blind as a tax (ante), and the starting pot is just .50.
To keep the pot from growing right away from the first betting round, why not do away with the forced bet (bring-in)?

All of that works. But the bring in is an essential feature of stud as it signifies where the action starts. If you want to do no antes and just a bring in, that works. But because the low card up is the bring in, someone can get unlucky and get it over and over. And that can be a real feel bad when no one else is putting in an ante. When everyone antes and the bring in is smaller, it doesn't feel quite as bad when you get the bring in over and over.

Also the bring in is live like a big blind is in hold em. But an ante is dead. So if you don't do a bring in, then everyone could just check and go to 4th Street for free.

If you don't want everyone to ante, then you can use an ante button. It just moves as normal and that player is responsible for the entire ante (but the low card is still the bring in). The button means nothing in stud since order of action changes each street based on who has the high hand showing.

But an ante is dead. So if you don't do a bring in, then everyone could just check and go to 4th Street for free.
Honestly, that has been my idea :LOL: :laugh:, 'cause my anxiety is against the game running too high rather than too low (in PL mode, rembember).
I can be awfully wrong, of course.

Sure, the "dealer" can be the button ante.

In the first round of betting, the betting would be capped at 5 bets/raises, meaning once the bet reached $5 no one could raise any further. So the most that any one bettor could put in the pot during that entire round would be $5, and the most that could be in the pot at that time would be $25. That's the preflop round.

The flop betting round would once again begin with a bet of $1 (supposing someone opened the bet, rather everyone checking). If no one raised and everyone called, then the bet would stay at $1, everyone would put in $1, and the pot would be at $30. If instead one person raised and everyone called, then the bet would be $2, everyone would put in $2, and the pot would be at $35. And if instead everyone raised then the bet would be $5, everyone would put in $5, and the pot would be at $50.

The turn and river would work the same as the flop, except that the betting would start at $2 and each raise would be another $2.

With the betting capped at five bets in each round, then the most each player could put in the pot would be $5 + $5 + $10 + $10 = $30 for the hand, making a $150 pot. This never happens. But it is the theoretical maximum that any one player could lose ($30 in one hand) and the maximum that any one player could win ($150 in one hand). Typical hands might see a bet and a raise preflop, a bet on the flop and turn, and a bet and raise on the river for a total of $9 put in the pot by any one player.

Typical buy-ins for a fixed limit game are anywhere from 10 to 50 big bets. In a $1/$2 limit game, that would be $20 to $100. If that seems too large for your players, consider playing smaller stakes. However, note that a single buy-in lasts much, much longer in a limit game than in a no-limit game. You never have to place your entire stack in jeopardy on a single hand; you just lose it a little bit at a time. So if your players are used to going bust and rebuying over and over in a night of NL, then when they switch to fixed limit they can probably afford to have larger buy-ins and higher stakes.
I think since my group is not very well versed in poker this would actually be better than no limit. Because not a lot of people rebuy once out. Is this fixed limit just for cash games usually or can it also be used for a tourney set up? Great post by the way. Wish there was a way to highlight this one!

Thanks! Yes, you can play a fixed-limit tournament. Just like a NL tournament, everyone buys in for a fee, everyone starts with the same number of chips, the blinds get raised periodically, and the last player with chips left wins the prize. FL strategy is different from NL strategy, and the same is true in NL vs. FL tournaments.

I think since my group is not very well versed in poker this would actually be better than no limit. Because not a lot of people rebuy once out. Is this fixed limit just for cash games usually or can it also be used for a tourney set up? Great post by the way. Wish there was a way to highlight this one!
One of my first mtt winds was in limit holdem. Pretty sure 3/4 if the field (including me) was there by accident!

That being said, it's not the best way to play limit. In my opinion, no limit plays best in tournaments, and limit is best as a friendly home game.

In the first round of betting, the betting would be capped at 5 bets/raises, meaning once the bet reached $5 no one could raise any further. So the most that any one bettor could put in the pot during that

Silly question to add.... so in a $1/$2 game, can you start off the betting with less than $1/$2? For instance, as I’ve said we are pretty good friends and loose with each other, can a person open the betting with a BET of .25 and the next person RAISES another quarter to .50 then everybody else folds except the initial bettor calls. Total added to the pot this round $1.
OR
BET .25 next person RAISES another quarter to .50 next person RAISES a dollar to 1.50 everyone else folds. Total put into pot this round from 3 players (assuming they call) $4.50.
Basically I know the max is $1/$2. But can you start off betting with less than $1/$2?

In a fixed limit game, all bets and raises are the same size during each round. If the limit is $1/$2 then every bet and raise preflop and on the flop is $1 and every bet and raise on the turn and river is $2. So you never need to announce the size of your bets, as you have no choice in the size of your bets. You just say "bet" or "raise" when it's your turn instead of "I bet fifty cents" or whatever.

Games where you can bet an amount between some minimum amount and some maximum amount are called spread limit. For example, if you were playing in a $1-$5 spread limit game, then each bet or raise could be anywhere between one and five dollars, and when you announce your bet or raise you do have to announce the size. For example: "I bet two dollars", "I raise to six".

In the past, a lot of small-stakes home games were played with a spread limit, but today it's fairly uncommon. In some states no-limit games are not legal, so card rooms in those states offer spread-limit games where the limits are very wide, e.g. a bet can be anywhere from $1 to $100 in a single game. That's done as a way to partially circumvent the ban on no-limit games.

In a fixed limit game, all bets and raises are the same size during each round. If the limit is $1/$2 then every bet and raise preflop and on the flop is $1 and every bet and raise on the turn and river is $2. So you never need to announce the size of your bets, as you have no choice in the size of your bets. You just say "bet" or "raise" when it's your turn instead of "I bet fifty cents" or whatever.

Games where you can bet an amount between some minimum amount and some maximum amount are called spread limit. For example, if you were playing in a $1-$5 spread limit game, then each bet or raise could be anywhere between one and five dollars, and when you announce your bet or raise you do have to announce the size. For example: "I bet two dollars", "I raise to six".

In the past, a lot of small-stakes home games were played with a spread limit, but today it's fairly uncommon. In some states no-limit games are not legal, so card rooms in those states offer spread-limit games where the limits are very wide, e.g. a bet can be anywhere from $1 to $100 in a single game. That's done as a way to partially circumvent the ban on no-limit games.
Thanks a lot man! I am learning so much! So what I just described would be a spread limit game. And just to go with example would be a “25¢-$2” spread limit. In the case of a spread limit game, I’m assuming the spread limit applies to all rounds of betting.

You got it! Although sometimes in spread limit games the spreads are doubled in later rounds (just like in fixed limit games, the fixed limit is usually doubled in the later rounds).

Spread limit isn't very common these days because it isn't very useful. Small spreads don't really mean much - a $1-$5 spread limit ends up playing pretty much the same as a $5 fixed limit, because anyone who wants to bet is usually trying to get as much money in the pot as possible. And large spreads end up playing like no-limit, but poorly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom