Cash Game Seating players as they arrived at cash game table.... (1 Viewer)

I can see seating as an issue... In the past I have been told Im being too finicky to draw for seats etc. but I do prefer leaving this up to drawing randomly to start anyway.

If a new player shows, then players may move if they requested ahead of time.

First come, first served is the standard for the cash game.

After last nights game, I received a call from one of the other core players (probably the weakest player in the group) questioning the strong players tendency to always sits to his left and he asked me if he is allowed to sit wherever he wants when he arrives. He also asked for the rules on whether he can move to another position if the player keeps sitting to his left?

The seats should always be in place at the start of the game so before a new arriving player is seated, any player already seated has the opportunity to change to the open seat.

The player actually probably has a legitimate gripe if the last player to arrive is just squeezing a chair in anywhere he likes. (Essentially creating an open chair to which already seated player should have "dibs.") It is a way to circumvent first-come first serve.

The problem with random assignment in cash games is that to be fair it would almost have to be drawn every time a player arrives or leaves which is either a big waste of time, or just something that will be done at the outset and then forgotten, again providing benefit of choice to late arriving players when the benefit should reward the first arriving players.

I know it's a nitpicky point, but the game is better if the first arriving players have the most choice when it comes to seating.

So at the very least, whenever a chair is added, all seated players should have the opportunity to move seats before the new player is seated. Not just immediately take the newly added seat when arriving.

First come, first served is the standard for the cash game.

The seats should always be in place at the start of the game so before a new arriving player is seated, any player already seated has the opportunity to change to the open seat.

The player actually probably has a legitimate gripe if the last player to arrive is just squeezing a chair in anywhere he likes. (Essentially creating an open chair to which already seated player should have "dibs.") It is a way to circumvent first-come first serve.

The problem with random assignment in cash games is that to be fair it would almost have to be drawn every time a player arrives or leaves which is either a big waste of time, or just something that will be done at the outset and then forgotten, again providing benefit of choice to late arriving players when the benefit should reward the first arriving players.

I know it's a nitpicky point, but the game is better if the first arriving players have the most choice when it comes to seating.

So at the very least, whenever a chair is added, all seated players should have the opportunity to move seats before the new player is seated. Not just immediately take the newly added seat when arriving.

How much in and out or unexpected players do you have though? Seating choice would absolutely be an issue in my game if we left it up to people so we have to draw (seating chips). But we always know who is coming to the game give or take 1 player. So we use the max possible players who will be joining and use seating chips. When players show up later during the evening they choose from the remaining seating chips. Guys may have to slide their chairs around a bit as people come or go but we respect the positioning. I don’t understand the need to to redraw as people come and go unless you don’t expect arrivals or there is just a really high degree of people coming and going throughout the game.

When players show up later during the evening they choose from the remaining seating chips. Guys may have to slide their chairs around a bit as people come or go but we respect the positioning. I don’t understand the need to to redraw as people come and go unless you don’t expect arrivals or there is just a really high degree of people coming and going throughout the game.

So as I think about it, so long as late arrivers are still drawing at random, and the spots are held and recognized, it's still fair. I suppose when a player leaves you then return to the hat (or whatever you use) seats that are opened for future drawing.

Does your game then have a rule that once a player has drawn for a seat, there are no seat changes? If that's the case then it works.

I still personally prefer first come, first serve myself, but this system seems fair at least.

So as I think about it, so long as late arrivers are still drawing at random, and the spots are held and recognized, it's still fair. I suppose when a player leaves you then return to the hat (or whatever you use) seats that are opened for future drawing.

Does your game then have a rule that once a player has drawn for a seat, there are no seat changes? If that's the case then it works.

I still personally prefer first come, first serve myself, but this system seems fair at least.

yeah, that’s why I like seating chips instead of drawing cards. Players pick their seating chip and sit down. When someone arrives later they choose from the remaining chips and take a seat even if we have been playing for 2hrs. We don’t run into a situation put our game where someone would go out and then later on someone would be arriving, but if we did then yeah I would say the departing player would put their chip back.

The advantage in my mind for our game is the position on other specific players not a desire for some specific chair, so first come first serve would make the problem worse for us. I don’t want people arriving later so that they can game their seat choice to take advantage of positioning on specific players. With seating chips it is completely out of their control and gives advantage to no specific person and also doesn’t encourage later entry. All of the players really seem to think it’s “fair” in the end because no one gets an advantage.

The advantage in my mind for our game is the position on other specific players not a desire for some specific chair, so first come first serve would make the problem worse for us. I don’t want people arriving later so that they can game their seat choice to take advantage of positioning on specific players.

Well first come, first served does mean already seated players have the option to change seats before any new players are seated, so it doesn't really benefit the late arrivers. If a player doesn't want a newcomer on his left (as was the original example), he can elect a seat change that would put his preferred player on his immediate left and the newcomer would have to take a different seat.

Well first come, first served does mean already seated players have the option to change seats before any new players are seated, so it doesn't really benefit the late arrivers. If a player doesn't want a newcomer on his left (as was the original example), he can elect a seat change that would put his preferred player on his immediate left and the newcomer would have to take a different seat.

Ahh, got it. Now I understand.

Do you allow seat changes at any time or only once there is an entry/exit? So if someone is getting heated by the actions of the player to their left can they request a seat change? And if someone arrives and player #1 moved their seat and now players #3 doesn’t like their positioning can they then change?

yeah, that’s why I like seating chips instead of drawing cards. Players pick their seating chip and sit down. When someone arrives later they choose from the remaining chips and take a seat even if we have been playing for 2hrs. We don’t run into a situation put our game where someone would go out and then later on someone would be arriving, but if we did then yeah I would say the departing player would put their chip back.

The advantage in my mind for our game is the position on other specific players not a desire for some specific chair, so first come first serve would make the problem worse for us. I don’t want people arriving later so that they can game their seat choice to take advantage of positioning on specific players. With seating chips it is completely out of their control and gives advantage to no specific person and also doesn’t encourage later entry. All of the players really seem to think it’s “fair” in the end because no one gets an advantage.

In a "friendly" game I get annoyed when a buddy says "were only just playing having fun... does it matter where I sit?" Even a novice will get the sense that sitting behind a super aggressive player will save them money in the end by avoiding pots, while sitting in front of that same player - they may see their calls and raises bumped (we've all been there). The novice will realize this... I like alevel playing field and leaving seating up to chance. It also allows the group of guys to be mixed up so you don't have two chummy chummy guys in distracting convos all night in one corner of the table.

Ahh, got it. Now I understand.

Do you allow seat changes at any time or only once there is an entry/exit? So if someone is getting heated by the actions of the player to their left can they request a seat change? And if someone arrives and player #1 moved their seat and now players #3 doesn’t like their positioning can they then change?

Any time, if there's a dispute, whoever has been in the game the longest without a seat change gets priority. (Meaning if no players requesting to move have had a seat change yet, then priority according to earliest arrival.)

If we get into that weird cycle you suggested then I would probably lock seating and probably implement a random draw for players that want to move that has to stick for some duration. Never happened, but I am glad to learn about your draw procedure, it's a good way to deal with this particular problem.

Any time, if there's a dispute, whoever has gone the longest without a seat change gets priority, if no players requesting to move have had a seat change yet, then priority according to earliest arrival.

If we get into that weird cycle you suggested then I would probably lock seating and probably implement a random draw for players that want to move that has to stick for some duration. Never happened, but I am glad to learn about your draw procedure, it's a good way to deal with this particular problem.

Cool. I think everyone's solution addresses the dynamics of their own group too. There probably is no single best solution. Each group is probably very different in terms of the attitudes and play of the players as well as the structure of the sit and go type game. If we let our players choose seats in any way I could see the devil coming out of them and it just stopping short of fist fights, haha (just kidding... but not really).

To clarify if player #1 moves, and player #3 wants to move into player #1's spot, or some other spot, i would allow both changes before the new player is seated. However if #1 and #3 get into a cat and mouse cycle, where #1 wants to move in response to #3's move, and so on, then I would rely on a random solution for those players.

To clarify if player #1 moves, and player #3 wants to move into player #1's spot, or some other spot, i would allow both changes before the new player is seated. However if #1 and #3 get into a cat and mouse cycle, where #1 wants to move in response to #3's move, and so on, then I would punch each of those players right in the junk and let player 3 sit wherever they want

Fixed your post :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

When I host cash I always have players draw seat chips just to keep it equal. I don't like the idea of choosing seats against each other in home games. As host, do I have the ultimate choice of where I can sit? Does coming later give advantages to seat choices?

Random is best.

EDIT: This might need a poll.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom