Cash Game Seating at Cash game? (2 Viewers)

Do you draw for seats in your cash games?

• Total voters
Except that here the advantage goes to whichever of the two shows up later, because he can pick the seat on the other guy's left (or close to it) and the guy who showed up first can't control that.
Not sure if I understand. We put the chairs around the table before the game begins. When you arrive, take any open seat. You don’t get to move them around.

Bob and Fred are both good players. Fred always tries to sit to Bob's left, and Bob is getting tired of it.

Bob shows up first and picks his favorite seat, #3, so he can see the TV.

Fred shows up later and sits in #4 so he can be on Bob's left.

Bob says "Dammit, stop that - Hey Mister Host, you should draw for seats!"

I'm suggesting that Mister Host should tell the two of them to flip a coin to see who gets to sit on whose left, figuring nobody else at the table cares.

I have a draw going for seats at my game. I place a card, lets say 2c face up in front of the seat and a 2h face down. I do a different number for each seat and mix up the face down cards and have people draw for the seats. If people show up after the game gets started (usually the same 2 guys each time) I just let them pick between the last 2 seats.

I typically run 3 tables and I pre-assign players to a table then let them sit where ever they want on that table. It's a pretty small game and nobody thinks about it all that deeply. I know this is not exactly "fair" but nobody has called me on it yet. It's possible folks have chosen not to return but I think most people just don't really care all that much. Something for me to keep an eye on as my game grows.

I've never been to a cash game with assigned seats, and I've never found "Everyone just pull up a chair" to be more problematic than assigning seats.

I can understand the fairness element in such a policy. However, a lot of games I've played in have had some players with vision issues, people with favorite seats, people who didn't want to sit next to a spouse (or a nemesis), or some other compelling reason to sit here or there. That system seems to work as long as there are no conflicts.

If a serious conflict were to arise, I'd go to randomly assigned seats as a solution (perhaps with accommodations for vision issues or whatever).

Most games I have played it has been first come first serve. But I could definitely see if someone is constantly sitting to the left of a specific player why there would be a need to draw for seats.

We draw when we jump up stakes every once in awhile, other than that, we hosts take our preferred seats, and everyone else goes where they want. They switch organically enough that we don't have to formalize it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom