Scotch Help! (1 Viewer)

If money is no object, how about the Glenlivet 70?

gordon-macphail-generations-glenlivet-70-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky-speyside-scotland-10378985.jpg

They have a bottle in my poker pub (Whisky bar of the year a couple of times).

Only £900/dram. I like a double with cola (not Coke, I like my cola with a little bit of bite).

Otherwise, I'd second the old Highland Parks. The 18 yo was a favorite for a long time but is increasingly hard to come by (I think it has been commandeered to go into a high-end blend, so they're not bottling it anymore?).

If you like peat, the Lagavulin 16 is excellent. If you want to try something else peaty, check out the Ardbeg. I really enjoyed the Corryvreckan - it's like a peaty napalm bomb going off in your mouth.

I have no idea what is available in the US.

Where's @pltrgyst at? He usually has good whisky intel...

That loos amazing!

But did you say you would drink Glenlivet 70 with cola on the side or mixed in. I would think mixing any quality scotch would be a sin, but to each their own.

I would have recommended Oban 14 or 18 if you can find it. Looks like others have suggested the same. One of my favorites.

But did you say you would drink Glenlivet 70 with cola on the side or mixed in. I would think mixing any quality scotch would be a sin, but to each their own.

Reminds me of a lucky break I got one time. In 1991 I went to Scotland on my honeymoon. We stopped in some little village to make a hotel reservation through one of the Scottish Tourist Board offices. There was a little liquor store next door. I stopped in and asked the proprietor for a recommendation. I don't remember what he was showing me, but while he spoke a dusty bottle on the top shelf behind him caught my eye. It turned out to be a bottle Glenlivet 60. For some reason he seemed surprised that I would be interested, but quoted what I guess he though was an exorbitant price of 90 pounds ($120 at the time). SOLD!

The bottle was immediately nicknamed baby, and I hand carried it on the plane all the way back home. We spent about 2 years with that bottle, drinking a shot at a time on special occasions. To your point, I normally drink my scotch on the rocks, but it was clear to me that nothing should contaminate that bottle and we always drank it neat. I still remember how amazing it was. Smooth as water.

I guess if I had known how valuable it would later become I would have held on to it and sold it (probably for chip money), but I would have missed a wonderful experience.

That loos amazing!

I was joking! I couldn't afford to drink that at $1200 a measure. I used to joke order that at the bar every game night. It got pretty irritating for the bar staff...

Trying to think what else we've had lately.

Talisker 21 is very good. I'm guessing there are better drams for lesser cost available, however.

Oban 14 and Highland Park are in my shopping cart!

162431L.jpg
Viking Pride!!

My fiancé is 100% Swedish so her family will love this, including her father:)

Oban 14 and Highland Park are in my shopping cart!

162431L.jpg
Viking Pride!!

My fiancé is 100% Swedish so her family will love this, including her father:)

How much did you pick up the HP18 for? I love that whisky. Looks like I can't pick it up for less than $150 in the UK, though...

How about picking up a couple of single-cask bottlings?

For example, Signatory is a notable bottler of various casks. You could pick up a cask strength Bunnahabhain single-cask bottling, or a Bowmore or Bruchladdie. These types of bottles are once-in-a-lifetime.. when they're empty you will never taste them again, because the quantities are so limited.

Gordon & Macphail are another bottler which might be more widely available in the US. I believe they have a quite reasonably priced Bunnahabhain 1997 Heavily Peated at the moment, which I would recommend.

Aberlour A’bunadh for something very strong and smooth.

thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/scotch-whiskey/aberlour-abunadh-review/

Sorry guys! This is a bottle or two for me and a few scotch drinkers. I agree with you guys. Most people wouldn’t notice the difference. That Oban sounds nice! I’ll try it and I’ll get samples;)

Thanks guys!

Lagavulin Distiller's Edition Limited release. 16 yrs old and SO much smoke and peat you'll think you're drowning in the damned bog.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom