Round Table Sizing - it's only 2 inches, but... (1 Viewer)

JZPdub

Pair
Reaction score
Ok, so need some advice.
I am going to build a table topper for a round table that sits in the corner of my basement (pics below). This will be a second table, so will probably have 6-7 people most of the time, occassionally will get up to 8. Trying to find the balance between how large the table should be vs. how much space around the table.

Originally, my thought was to go with a 56" table, but I'm concerned that that it will be too tight to fit 7-8 people around it (especially since the rail will probably stick out about an inch)
Should I go down to a 54" or 52" table? It's not much difference, but wondering if those couple of inches are better used for the table or the space around it.

Below is a mockup of the space and some pictures.

How big should I go?

Spacing Mockup.jpg

IMG_7114.jpg
IMG_7115.jpg

IMHO, forget about seating 8 people in there.
A 56in diameter table offers cramped seating for 8 (imperial seating for 7) and it's already too big for that room.
IMHO again, scale down to 52in diameter for max 7 players (given the available space)

Here is something I put together with 3 different size round tables (60", 54", 48") to get an idea of player spacing. I think the sweet spot is something like 22" per player or so. Let me know if it would help to zoom into the numbers a bit.

72o_RoundPokerTableLayouts.jpg

IMHO, forget about seating 8 people in there.
A 56in diameter table offers cramped seating for 8 (imperial seating for 7) and it's already too big for that room.
IMHO again, scale down to 52in diameter for max 7 players (given the available space)
Agreed, 52" is about the max for that space. Don't forget that chairs need to be moved back quite a bit in order to sit down or stand up (unless you have access to a handy transporter and can just beam the bodies into seated positions).

I can't get a good sense for the space by just the picture to figure out how well a certain size table would fit. But if it's a second table and you are usually going to have 6-7 at it, then better to have a smaller table that fits better in the space rather than a larger table that doesn't fit.

Take a piece of cardboard (or multiple pieces), and cut it to the right size circle, place it on your existing table and see how well it fits.

I’m looking at buying a used 60 inch table from a party store and converting it.

We played 6 handed and had room for two more

I’m looking at buying a used 60 inch table from a party store and converting it.

We played 6 handed and had room for two more
Craigslist and repurpose. I think 60” is big enough for play. Even smaller will work if you’re only seating up to 6. It’s all about the space.

The he nice thing about Craigslist is that you can get something with a pedestal and that helps with seating. I’d skip drink holders as well and make it so you do slide ins (which I personally would only endorse in a situation such as this.

It’s really all about the space.

We’re going to build a secondary as an overflow like you. I’m going to follow what I’ve espoused above.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom