Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona...starting now. Anyone a sports car racing fan? (1 Viewer)

dbertheau

Two Pair
Reaction score
For 6 years I had RV spot 509 on the infield. Wonderful expeirence...Formula 1 drivers, Indy drivers, NASCAR drivers. So much talent in one place for 24 hours.

My brother Steve raced in Porsche Club events throughout the midwest...he got me into being a fan.

First year at Daytona for me was 2010. Then crazy, my brother was asked if he was interested in driving in the race in 2011. He ended up putting a team together in the GT class...Andy Lally, Spencer Pumpelly, Brendan Gaughan, Wolf Hinzler and himself. They were in the #67 car...Porsche GT3.

They lost the clutch at 1am. Drove for 14 more hours without a clutch...Andy Lally brought the car over the start/finish line in first place in class. Now they each have a Rolex Daytona watch...

Crazy fun expeirence.

Steve raced one more season...came in second in 2012.

This year Andy is in the 44 GT car. Brendan in the 20 prototype. Not sure what car Wolfe is in. And Spence may not be driving this year.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan but had the opportunity to gain VIP access for several years several years ago. Texas Motor Speedway was nice. I did a bunch of business with Anheuser Busch and my Rep in Dallas was in charge of everything during race time. We spent many a day and night in the infield. My rep (female) was good friends with Dale Jr. and went at his place with friends few times a year. I once had the opportunity to present the Pole Position Award for the Busch Race in front of the thousands of folks attending. That was fun and I think I still have some pictures from that day along with the autographed Busch Cap I received from the Pole Position Winner.

If any of you are race fans I do have some race stuff that I may be getting rid of. Not trying to make any big money off of it. I am just trying to cull items and deciding about downsizing our home.

I haven't missed seeing an F1 race since 1966, including all the European races live from mid-66 to mid-68. Drove my first club race in a rented Renault at Hockenheim in 66.

Raced 26 years in SCCA (home tracks Summit Point and Mid-Ohio), 5 years in SVRA, running an ex-Group 44 TR-8, an '88 Fiero GT, and several Formula Fords (Elden, Lola, Swift). Did a little motorcycle track racing on an '85 Interceptor 500 until I came to my senses. Autocrossed many years with the DC autocrossing organization. Never got into endurance racing as a participant, but enjoyed a track day at Le Mans about 20 years ago.

Now living an hour from Sebring, and have gone to the last four 12 Hours. Have run two club track days there and a few autocrosses, that's about it recently.

(All the above is why I've never had any interest in high-powered, really fast street cars since the TR-8 -- I simply would not have a driving license. My interest in street cars is strictly low-weight ruled. Same with bikes -- no cruiser crap. Current ride is still a Honda 919, though I'm thinking of selling it...as you get older, it gets harder and harder to throw your leg over the bike... :cool:)

I haven't missed seeing an F1 race since 1966, including all the European races live from mid-66 to mid-68. Drove my first club race in a rented Renault at Hockenheim in 66.

Raced 26 years in SCCA (home tracks Summit Point and Mid-Ohio), 5 years in SVRA, running an ex-Group 44 TR-8, an '88 Fiero GT, and several Formula Fords (Elden, Lola, Swift). Did a little motorcycle track racing on an '85 Interceptor 500 until I came to my senses. Autocrossed many years with the DC autocrossing organization. Never got into endurance racing as a participant, but enjoyed a track day at Le Mans about 20 years ago.

Now living an hour from Sebring, and have gone to the last four 12 Hours. Have run two club track days there and a few autocrosses, that's about it recently.

(All the above is why I've never had any interest in high-powered, really fast street cars since the TR-8 -- I simply would not have a driving license. My interest in street cars is strictly low-weight ruled. Same with bikes -- no cruiser crap. Current ride is still a Honda 919, though I'm thinking of selling it...as you get older, it gets harder and harder to throw your leg over the bike... :cool:)
I watch as many F1 races as possible. Been to the British Grand Prix at Siverstone, the Brazil Grand Prix in Sao Paulo and the U.S. Grand Prix at Indy a few times. Would like to get to Austin some day to see the new track.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom