Rice & Beans etc (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed that many cultures have some kind of grain + legume dish in their diets, some relatively new and some very old. This combination gives you all the human dietary essential amino acids from (cheap) plant sources. For example:
  • Beans on toast (UK)
  • Hummus & pita (Middle East)
  • Doubles - chickpea curry & fried bread (Trinidad)
  • Red beans & rice (Cajun)
  • Black beans over rice (South/Central America)
  • Rice & dal (India)
  • Paan & parippu - bread and lentil curry (Sri Lanka)
  • Koshary - rice, pasta & lentils (Egypt)
  • Pasta e fagioli - pasta & beans (Italy)
I've eaten all of these and have enjoyed them - other than the pasta e fagioli which I'm going to try as soon as possible. Do you know of any others?

IMG_0402.jpeg

In Japanese cuisine, beans and rice are used for creating desserts.

Rice flour is used to make mochi. And various types of beans are made into a sweetened paste that is stuffed inside the mochi.

Peanut butter on wheat sandwich is a complete protein. And there is quinoa all by itself for the win. We eat mostly vegan in our house. Once a week we have a quinoa night, and two rice+beans nights. And add in broccoli + spinach for even more protein. The cheapest diets are also by far the healthiest.

I have noticed that many cultures have some kind of grain + legume dish in their diets, some relatively new and some very old. This combination gives you all the human dietary essential amino acids from (cheap) plant sources. For example:
  • Beans on toast (UK)
  • Hummus & pita (Middle East)
  • Doubles - chickpea curry & fried bread (Trinidad)
  • Red beans & rice (Cajun)
  • Black beans over rice (South/Central America)
  • Rice & dal (India)
  • Paan & parippu - bread and lentil curry (Sri Lanka)
  • Koshary - rice, pasta & lentils (Egypt)
  • Pasta e fagioli - pasta & beans (Italy)
I've eaten all of these and have enjoyed them - other than the pasta e fagioli which I'm going to try as soon as possible. Do you know of any others?
As a UK citizen, however, beans on toast is perhaps one of the most overrated 'meals' (if you can call it that) ever. Awful stuff.

I'm going to categorize this as Lebanese rice or riz bi sh'arieh. I'm assuming Lebanese rice pre-dates rice-a-roni :)

In Japanese cuisine, beans and rice are used for creating desserts.

Rice flour is used to make mochi. And various types of beans are made into a sweetened paste that is stuffed inside the mochi.
That reminded me of another one - red bean pau. I guess moon cake is also in this category.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom