Tourney Revisiting the first structure I ever used, over 20 years ago (1 Viewer)

SlowPokeTony

Two Pair
Reaction score
This was before the boom when tv tournaments got really popular. I had seen the 1 hour wsop espn specials each year, usually they’d air 5 or 6 of them in a row and i’d watch them all day. My only poker experience before that was dealers choice for pennies with my grandmother. But once I saw Hold em on tv that was it. Hold em was tournaments! I was 12 or 13 playing 5 player tournaments with my friends and brother, $5 buy in winner take all. I really had almost nothing to go by structure-wise and came up with it all on my own. It wasn’t great but it was fun because we didn’t know any better.

We had a ton of mismatched chips of many different colors and designs. So everything was worth 1. 100 chip starting stack. It only took one game to realize that when the blinds got high enough it was a pain in the ass to count all the chips for every bet every hand. So here’s what I eventually came up with:

Blinds increase every time the big blind makes a full orbit. Then every 2 orbits when it’s down to 3 or 2 players. Start at 1/2, 2/4, 3/6, 4/8….then before 5/10 we’d “revalue” the chips by making them all worth 5. Everyone would essentially color up their stack rounded up to the nearest 5. So if you had 75 chips it would turn into 15 chips, 103 chips would be 21 chips, etc. Looking back now I realize how steep of a jump that ends up being when you go 4/8, 5/10, then 10/20. But I remember telling everyone it’s no different than when we do 1/2 to 2/4 at the start of the game. Wrong. A whole tournament must have only been around 30 hands or so, seems crazy but we loved it.

Anyway I eventually got a proper set of dice style chips and the structure evolved to what we still use today (usually T5 base 10/10/7/3). Anyone else start out with some funky structures?

I just ordered my first real tourney set , t5 base, and I'm very glad to have the internet/this forum to help me set up the structure, otherwise I would definitely be doing some whacky shit as well hahah. Now to find some players :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Definitely had some funky games when we first started playing. We used to only increase the blinds when a player was knocked out. Most times there were only 4-5 players. Games lasted fooooooooreeeeeveer

We used to play with 1500 stacks, 25/50, so 30 BBs. We'd do 3 tourneys a night. Then we realized the games were luck tests mostly and moved up to 3k, then 5k. Now we never play under 10k. Lol

I grew up on 5 card draw and 7 card stud playing heads up cash games with my dad or grandfather.

First tournaments I ever ran started out with T1000 stacks and blinds were 25/50 for the first 90 minutes then 50/100 for the hour after that and every 30 minutes increased by 50 after that on the BB and by 25 on the SB. Now we run T10000 with 25/50 and blinds increase every 30 minutes.

I just ordered my first real tourney set , t5 base, and I'm very glad to have the internet/this forum to help me set up the structure, otherwise I would definitely be doing some whacky shit as well hahah. Now to find some players :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
haha... i totally agree. without these information here i would be totally lost. internet is some nice stuff, expecially with such experienced fellas here who use it as well.

i am goin to order my first tourney set as well and i am very thankful for threads like this one.

T5 base club! Love my T5 tournaments, the best way to play imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom