Review - "New" Classics (1 Viewer)

Dix

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
The frozen mountain wilderness of W.Poland, Maine
Ok, so I'm a fan of ceramics. I'd been particularly kicking myself recently for selling a set of ChipCo Classics I owned over a decade ago. They were by far my favorite set.

So, imagine my surprise when I tripped over an old post in the classifieds that someone was offering "new" Classics, allegedly based on the original artwork.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/you-can-pay-in-karma-"chipco-classics".38416/

They are apparently sold at Poker Chip Lounge: https://pokerchiplounge.com/chipco-classics-10-gram-ceramic-poker-chips.html

So I order a sample set... & quickly became seriously underwhelmed.

OK, so sure, given what was said in the original topic, I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. But.... well... I guess I'll let the evidence speak for itself.

The picture of the "Pile of Chips" on the website appears to be an old pic of original ChipCos sans the "$" sign on the denoms.

chipcoclassics-pile_r.jpg

But the closeup individual shots show no Classic "white ring" around the outer edge.

chipcoclassics-25_2r.jpg

Eh, OK, so sure, the dye sub process has likely improved over the last decade & a half so the white ring can be eliminated. Not such a bad thing really. Looks decent IMO. I also trip over another post where someone was selling a set of similar looking samples.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/various-sample-sets.41738/

ChipCo Classic Samples_r.jpg

So, for giggles I go ahead & order a sample set. What I got was so far off from what I remember (& the above pics) I immediately hit up eBay to see if I could get lucky & find some old classics for comparison purposes. As luck would have it, there were a few.

First thing that struck me, before I even got the originals, was a couple of the colors. Specifically, the "orange" 500s and the edge color of the 5s. The entire overall appearance of the 500s is far more what I would call "brown" than anything close to orange.

The edges of the 5s have a more "purple-ish" brown to them than the deep red-ish maroon I'd remembered. The original 5s & 500s I got confirmed that.

Another thing is that the chips I got lack (among other things) that distinct "thin black line" toward the outer edge you see in the above pics. Even the close-up pics from the website show it. But the actual chips I got do not.

Also, the overall appearance has a bit of a "washed out" look to them. The colors are no where near as vivid, nor are the details as sharp. It's claimed these were produced from the original artwork. I have doubts. It was mentioned to me they look like they were reproduced from a hi-res pic or maybe a scan of the originals, but definitely not the original artwork. I can believe that.

Without further ado... here's the comparison pics... the difference is obvious...

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

So, there's my "mini-review" of Poker Chip Lounge's "new" ChipCo Classics. I can't even give these a "close but no cigar". Because, in reality, they're not even that.

And, far be it from me to accuse anyone of telling porkies, But uhhh.... well... you decide.

Chipco went out of business a few years ago so there are no longer Chipco classics made by Chipco around (except for those who purchased them before they ceased operations).

The artwork rights and chip formulation were purchased during the Chipco bankruptcy sale, so the Chipco Classics you see here are the same exact artwork but freshly printed on an order by order basis in our facility.

Update: In the OP where I mentioned the other PCF member who was selling his samples I had failed to notice (and note) that he had gotten those samples from the same place (didn't notice he'd pictured the backs).

He told me he got them about 3 or 4 years ago. So, that being the case these chips have actually gotten worse sometime over the last few years.

So, if you have an older sample set where the company info is on the reverse... like these...

chipco-classic-samples_r-jpg.379159

ChipCo Classic Samples_back_r.jpg

The newer chips don't even look that good. (see above pics in the OP).

The samples I got are not "promotional" types, they have the design & denoms on both sides. If the samples I got looked like the samples pictured here I might have actually ordered a set, just for giggles.

But, considering what I actually got, I'll pass.

Same old moral of the same old story... get samples first. & if they're old samples... get new ones.

If what you have now are actual original ChipCo, don't bother because what you'll get won't even be close.

If you got a set of the repros.... depends on how long ago you got 'em. What you can get now may, or may not, match up.

If what you have now are actual original ChipCo, don't bother because what you'll get won't even be close.

If you got a set of the repros.... depends on how long ago you got 'em. What you can get now may, or may not, match up.
I have the originals. I will have to keep my eyes open for the original Chipco Classics and post on this site under WANTED once I am allowed. Thank you.

Reactions: Dix

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom