Residual ink on ceramics (1 Viewer)

triton

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi — looking for some advice on removing residual ink from ceramic chips. Am able to get rid of most of the superficial spots/streaks (see the before and after pics of the $5 chip), but there are some larger spots where ink is in between the texture spots (see the before and after pics of the 25c chip).

Looking for soaking (or any other) suggestions as Im hesitant to excessively scrub these. I have about 50 chips that I’d like to clean. Would an ultrasonic cleaner be able to deal with this?

Attachments

• IMG_0479.png
    IMG_0479.png
    713 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0480.png
    IMG_0480.png
    674.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0481.png
    IMG_0481.png
    706.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0485.png
    IMG_0485.png
    638.6 KB · Views: 71
Best bet is using a damp magic eraser pad with not a lot of pressure.

Is that from shuffling or general play, as in color transfer? I have some textured no-molds that I've been shuffling on my desk, that don't seem to have any of that.
Following...

i think all of it is factory related. There is some color transfer and other superficial scuffs/dirt but I’m able to remove all of that — it’s the ink spots that are in between the texture bumps that I’m having trouble with

Reactions: DRG
Yeah, I just did some experimenting..I ground the corner of another chip into the face and got a similar result as some of the marks as in your photo. A magic eraser removed 99% of them, but they were on top of the bumps.
Since your chips have that mark in the grooves of the texture, and were from the factory that way, it’s likely the marks are permanently in the chip.
How many chips have these marks from the factory? I have over 1,800 of those Bellagios and haven’t seen marks like that. Maybe a bad batch?

I purchased 1100. i haven’t done an exact count but my guess is 20%. If you have 1800 with zero marks then i would agree there was an issue with this batch

I purchased 1100. i haven’t done an exact count but my guess is 20%. If you have 1800 with zero marks then i would agree there was an issue with this batch
Wow…20% of them had marks similar to that 25c chip from the beginning?

Originally had 220 of the 25 cent chips. I pulled the worst 20 (there were more). So far I’ve been able to clean 10 of the 20, 4 are not salvegable, and the remaining 6 are being soaked for a few minutes awaiting an attempt to clean

Wow…20% of them had marks similar to that 25c chip from the beginning?
Actually was closer to 30% but I was able to salvage about 120 chips with the magic eraser method (The ones with contact markings on the top of the texture bumps). Brushing with a light amount of pressure did the trick.

The ones with ink stains in between the texture bumps were not salvageable as the magic eraser wasn’t able to get in between the bumps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom