Cash Game Putting together my first THC / RHC CG set. What do you think about the choice of chips and denoms? (1 Viewer)

OfficerLovejoy

Full House
Reaction score
I have started my chipping journey down the rabbithole that is PCF in late september and been quite obsessed checking the classifieds around 4x an hour for affordable chips for my first mixed cg set.
In the end i'd like a full mixed THC set, but since some RHC were quite cheap and not gone in 20s after beeing posted, I bought some of those as well with the intention of replacing them down the line.

Since I chose the chips for looks but price also, I got mostly $1's that match well and plan to (over)lable them for my microstakes CG.
So far my homegame has been playing 5ct/10ct but I do plan to bump it up to a 10ct/25ct or 25ct/25ct in the long run.

So far I have:
200x Horseshoe Council Bluffs $1's RHC - used/good condition. I got these pretty cheap and I plan to make them my 5ct that I might eventually phase out with higher blinds or replace down the line with a rack of solid (white/yellow/lime green...?) THC.

200x Casablanca $5 THC - excellent condition. These are the crown jewels of my set. I only got those because @Windwalker released his dibs for me out of sympathy for a first time chipper. I love the color and the edgespots since they are perfect as my 25cts when having a solid 5ct frac.

100x Scandia $1 THC - great condition, although 40 of those have been murdered by the preowner, so I'll have to murder the other 60 as well or pay someone else to do it for a full inlay replacement. Edgespotprogression would (ironically) be perfect as my $1s.

80x Empress $100 THC - used condition which made them affordable. The edgespots are a perfect progression from the Casa / Scandias so I'm thinking of using these as my $5s.
I'd like to hear your opinions on that since I am aware that a black $5 is very unusual and might throw some people off. Another question might be, if 80 $5s are enough for a potential 25ct/25ct game.

10x Horseshoe Council Bluffs $25 RHC - I got those for a good price and in great condition. The Edgespots fit well with my set but they are RHC and I only have 10 of them so they are another candidate for replacement at some point.

If I was to use the Empress as $5's I'd have a bank of $810 wich will be plenty for the standard single table 5ct/10ct and might cover a 10ct/25ct as well, but I am open to expanding the set on the top end if I see a chance to do so at a reasonable price.

Since all those chips are still in transit from the states to my house, I rebuild the chips in the aforementioned progression in CPC:
5ct / 25ct / $1 / $5 / $25
26529A88-F00F-44F0-A2A8-E8F21BC62E0A.png

To sum up:
- What do you think about having the Empress $100 as $5's? Is it just too weird?
They would also be great as $20 and I'd just get rid of the HS $25, but then I'd have to find $5's that are not red (I just don't like the combination with the pink casablancas) that have decent edgespotprogression, are THC and cost around $200-300 a rack. Ideas?
- What (attainable) chip would also fit in this lineup edgespot and color-wise, if I'd get other, solid fracs? I'd love to have a rack of flamingo $1 as my 5ct's but then I'd have to replace the also blue $1's with a new color.

So I don’t have any direct answers to your questions, but since you mentioned that all of your chips are still en route to you, I’ll just throw out 2 points:

-Relabeled chips do not sound or feel like originals (and overlabels behave differently again than inlay removals). I don’t say this to discourage, but rather to just caution you to not get ahead of yourself. I was once down the same path (planning out relabels before having chips in hand), and ended up changing course pretty quickly. Get yourself some sample labels from Gear with the various laminates to see what you like and what you don’t before you get married to a chip progression.

-That said, relabel sets are fun! I’m personally back on board and building a couple of my own. But it is nigh impossible to say with any certainty how well chips will work together in a mockup tool. Regardless of what anyone here says, you are going to know right away whether you like the empress 100 as a 5 as soon as you stack a few barrels up.

It’s a process, but that’s what makes it “fun” lol. Good luck!

I appreciate your words of caution.
The problem is, I do have to plan ahead and envision my set as good as I can since shipping to europe is quite expensive. Of course it is easier to judge colors, feel and sound when actually having the chips in hand.
I ordered a black and a white sample set from gear yesterday and will take every option into careful consideration.
Thank you for your thoughts. :)

-That said, relabel sets are fun! I’m personally back on board and building a couple of my own. But it is nigh impossible to say with any certainty how well chips will work together in a mockup tool.
if we only had chiptalks poker chip design tool with PAULSON colors and edges still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom