Poking my nose back in.... (1 Viewer)

AlbinoDragon

Flush
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I popped back in recently to take care of a couple things but as I look around I see very few faces I recognize and thought it might be good to re-introduce myself to all those new folks and to say hi again to those who I do recognize.

My short story for the new folks. Not O.G. level but definitely old-school Chiptalk member who made the migration here. Not terribly long after, life as well as other interests started to take over and I sort of slipped away (for a point of reference on the latter, see the post I made in the "most recent purchase" thread). My interest in chips hasn't necessarily subsided. I just placed an order for *another* (probably un-necessary, but why not) custom set with CPC, my collecting habit has sustained and my home-game has been steady (well, except for "the Pause" c/o COVID). I just haven't had the time to spend a lot of time here or really any of the other forums I used to frequent.

As I'm typing this, I think of what's in my "vault" and count just short of 20,000 chips spread across six sets. Four of those sets have cash *and* tournament components while two are cash only. Many of those, though in earlier versions, can be seen in the "gone but not forgotten" thread. I'll have to update photos when the last pieces finally come together. I can recall from my earliest days back in late-2006 seeing people posting pictures of their tables with every available square inch covered in barrel after barrel of chippy goodness (UW85 immediately comes to mind) and thinking at the time "there's no way *I'll* ever do that", yet fast forward over a decade and with the totals I have, I'm only missing those full-table photos!! :oops:

I was an infrequent meetup attendee, but absolutely loved the few I went to including the WCB (Jeff puts on a superb meetup) and attending the very first MTTB (Trihonda is a super humble and gracious host). For those who haven't attended a meetup, its' always a good time, despite maybe coming home with a lighter wallet but definitely with stronger friendships.

In all honesty, I'm mostly back to get a hold of Gear for labels for the final, very overdue touches on one set and a possible "repair" on another and to release back to the wild a bunch of chips that are sitting in boxes on a shelf. Some of that are leftovers from trying to complete my mixed PCA/Empress set and others are chips that just never see the felt. There's a chance I might be back a bit more, but the same interests and life situations that pulled me away might wind up taking enough of my time that I won't be able to spend a lot of time. I'm sure everyone knows how tough it is to keep juggling when there are a few too many "balls in the air" so to speak.

With that, I'll stop here with a warm hello to everyone.

A.D.

OMG! I know I haven’t been quite as active as before, but how in the world did I miss this? I saw you post in another thread, and I immediately started freaking out! I was just clearing out some old photos in my icloud, and ran across a bunch of old meetup pics of you!

You were sorely missed, Gil, as you are one of those extremely special people who made my chipping journey (and poker) exciting. covid killed two MTTD’s, and I was wondering if it was time to just allow other meetups to spring up and flourish next year, but if you’re back in the chipping game, maybe that’s a sign…. :)

5D4A5BE4-AD90-48E5-A1C0-265C714351AF.jpeg
85C983D5-A4CF-4361-8996-1F8DCCC07FCD.jpeg
16A2486C-6D7D-495E-891A-13884DBDA1EE.jpeg

Welcome back! Is the "repair" for a certain BCC set that I've never seen pictures of..? :D

Hello again, old friends!! I was wondering what happened when I saw this thread bumped.

@Trihonda, good to see you around, and great to see those photos as well. I had wondered if you had slipped "off the grid" when I wasn't seeing you around here whenever I poked in over the last few months. Hope things are well for you and the family!

@gmunny, also, very good to see another OG CT'er about. A tip of the hat, mi amigo!!

@mipevi, unfortunately I don't think @Gear could fix giant inlay BCC's, though your post and question made me ponder for just a few moments if it were even vaguely possible. That said, the set is still in it's shipping box under my bed and a couple times a year I still manage to stub my toe on it. Apart from the general disappointment I have had with the inlay printing from the start, the way my concerns were met by and offhand dismissed when I called BCC to inquire and just the way I was treated as a customer left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I was happy to have the chips that were done on the very wrong clay remade, but the inlays on the re-makes look like they were done with an inkjet printer that was low on ink. TRK Gold chips with crummy inlays or "TRK mud" with OK inlays. :rolleyes:

It's a tournament set and my home game was transitioning to cash, so other than the money lost to making a now unused set, there's really no loss. (It's crazy you brought this up. Just last month I was arranging items in my singles collection and came across my "portfolio" book with samples of all my custom chips and saw this very set. I rolled my eyes in disappointment then shut the book in disgust.)

Thanks for the unexpected bump of the thread and thanks for the warm welcomes yet again!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom