Poker Night With Pat! (old folks home) (2 Viewers)

@Mushmanchuman @detroitdad

My grandpa served in the United States Navy during World War I. He lost his hearing and had to come home to take care of his mother. By the time I was old enough to get to know him, he was mostly blind and had no teeth. The only hair he could grow was out of his ears and his nose. He scared me as a little boy. I found my grandma dead on the couch when I was 6. At the time, he was in a nursing home in another state. My mother is a ferocious little woman who brought him to Oklahoma and got the very best nursing home the VA would pay for. It was awful, but I went up to see him every single day for eleven and a half years. My mother would scratch and claw every day for the most basic of care. I was afraid to walk the halls during the early years because people would be screaming out for help or cursing the staff.

One time, my sister's boyfriend walked up to the piano in the general dining area and started playing the piano. All of the "inmates" stopped what they were doing to listen and request songs. I saw an entire change in every one of their faces. I could almost feel a change in the entire room.

All of this to say, thank you for taking a game to these folks. They may not be living in a disgrace of place like my grandpa had to endure years ago, but there is a good chance they would rather be in the comfort of their own home, or missing family. I'm sure poker night is at least one of their highlights every week.

One of my favorite threads.

IMG_5271.JPG
IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5273.jpg

IMG_0313.jpeg
I ran good 3 weeks in a row. Scooped a pot in Chicago after I made my straight on 7th street. I have started playing hands blind when I get up big.
IMG_0318.jpeg
Last game with the infamous Aria’s CM chips. These babies were great to me and I’m glad to pass them along to a fellow micro-stake player and new chipper @Tonystark137. Hope to see some pics of his home game when he gets them in play.
IMG_0332.jpeg
Ed just loves to drag pots with Royals Flushes.
IMG_0336.jpeg
IMG_0335.jpeg
IMG_0381.jpeg
IMG_0396.jpeg
Mail lady brought me a package right before I left for the game last Friday. Perfect timing to break out the new decks and the new fun nite chips I got off of @BigSlick4523 . We used Tropicana primary 5’s for the nickels this game. Everyone said they were Christmas-y. I use my HCL tribute $1 as my $1 chip until I decide what $1 chip to get.
IMG_0386.jpeg
IMG_0390.jpeg
IMG_0389.jpeg

View attachment 1237195I ran good 3 weeks in a row. Scooped a pot in Chicago after I made my straight on 7th street. I have started playing hands blind when I get up big. View attachment 1237196Last game with the infamous Aria’s CM chips. These babies were great to me and I’m glad to pass them along to a fellow micro-stake player and new chipper @Tonystark137. Hope to see some pics of his home game when he gets them in play.View attachment 1237197Ed just loves to drag pots with Royals Flushes. View attachment 1237199View attachment 1237198View attachment 1237200View attachment 1237201Mail lady brought me a package right before I left for the game last Friday. Perfect timing to break out the new decks and the new fun nite chips I got off of @BigSlick4523 . We used Tropicana primary 5’s for the nickels this game. Everyone said they were Christmas-y. I use my HCL tribute $1 as my $1 chip until I decide what $1 chip to get. View attachment 1237202View attachment 1237204View attachment 1237203
You are the coolest. These stories are great.

You are the coolest. These stories are great.
I’ll have to take more pics of the players and then do super descriptive bios and stories. I’m inspired by the Hard candy/Mafia thread. Haha

We have a new guy named Russ who legit has short term memory loss. I have to explain rules to him every deal. I’m not to sad when he forgets we are playing.

We were stoked to get Sue back from physical therapy. She was out of commission for a month and we thought she wasn’t coming back. Then she did and started crushing souls again.
IMG_0415.jpeg
IMG_0412.jpeg
We started playing limit Hold ‘em double board bomb pots. It only took a year for them to come around to the idea.
IMG_0458.jpeg
IMG_0457.jpeg
Ed just casually wins a pot with another Royal while playing 5 card double draw, 2’s wild. We do a normal drawing round and then we can draw up to 2 the second round. Usually a Full House or better are the nuts. We’ve seen 5 of a kind numerous times.
IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 17

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom