Poker Hand Rankings (4 Viewers)

There's a reason I restricted the wild vs natural distinction to hands over full houses when this first came up... I think messing with it at the lower levels creates more problems than it solves (with the possible exception of number of wild cards used being a tie breaker when 2 hands would otherwise chop, that one's pretty easy).
Disagree with the bolded.

For example, if you hold QJ and I hold 22. The board runs out T 9 8 x x. We both have a Q-high straight and chop, because at this level natural = wild. But if you hold Q2 and I hold 22 and the board is the same T 9 8 x x, now you win the whole pot because 1 wild card > 2 wild cards.

For example, if you hold QJ and I hold 22. The board runs out T 9 8 x x. We both have a Q-high straight and chop, because at this level natural = wild. But if you hold Q2 and I hold 22 and the board is the same T 9 8 x x, now you win the whole pot because 1 wild card > 2 wild cards.
That seems fair enough to me, feels like a way of balancing out how OP 22 is, but we can agree to disagree.

I’ll keep stirring.
You can also go with once any wild card is introduced to the hand that makes it a “wild card hand” be it 1 or more wild cards, so your second scenario would result in a chop pot as well

The ranking chart looks good. I would never have any practical use of one though. I’m not putting up with having someone at the table who needs one (and all that comes with it).

That was fine in 2004, but not 2024. Make friends with poker players rather than trying to make poker players out of your friends.

So really, if J-high flush (natural) beats A-high flush (1-wild), they are two seperate categories of hand rankings. You might need a legal-size paper for that chart:

5-of-a-kind (1-wild)
5-of-a-kind (2-wild)
5-of-a-kind (3-wild)
5-of-a-kind (4-wild)
Straight Flush (Natural)
Straight Flush (1-wild)
Straight Flush (2-wild)
Straight Flush (3-wild)
Four-of-a-kind (Natural)
Four-of-a-kind (1-wild)
Four-of-a-kind (2-wild)
Four-of-a-kind (3-wild)
Full House (Natural)
Full House (1-Wild)
Flush (Natural)
Flush (1-wild)
Flush (2-wild)
Straight (Natural)
Straight (1-wild)
Straight (2-wild)
Three-of-a-kind (Natural)
Three-of-a-kind (1-wild)
Three-of-a-kind (2-wild)
Two Pair (Natural)
One Pair (Natural)
One Pair (1-wild)
High Card
No such thing as 5 of a kind.

This is how we play-
The only time Natural beats a wild is when its the same exact 5 card hand.
Example- Natural King High straight flush beats King high straight flush with 1 wild. Queen high natural straight flush still loses to King high straight flush wild or not.

Confusing and terrible idea to play that Full House 6's over 2's would beat Aces over 7's if one ace is a wild card. That adds all those extra rules and hand rankings. Nobody wants to keep track of that. Some noobs already have a hard enough time knowing what hand beats what without adding extra rankings.

Same hands both with a wild tie. Same hands both natural tie as they normally do without wilds.

Straight Flush (Natural)
Straight Flush (Any-wild)
Four-of-a-kind (Natural)
Four-of-a-kind (Any-wild)
Full House (Natural)
Full House (Any-Wild)
Flush (Natural)
Flush (Any-wild)
Straight (Natural)
Straight (Any-Wild)
Three-of-a-kind (Natural)
Three-of-a-kind (Any-Wild)
Two Pair (Natural)
Two Pair (Any Wild)
One Pair (Natural)
One Pair (Any-wild)
High Card
Any Wild

No such thing as 5 of a kind.

This is how we play-
The only time Natural beats a wild is when its the same exact 5 card hand.
Example- Natural King High straight flush beats King high straight flush with 1 wild. Queen high natural straight flush still loses to King high straight flush wild or not.

Same hands both with a wild tie. Same hands both natural tie as they normally do without wilds.
^This makes the most sense to me, if insisting on using wild cards. Using a wild card shouldn't create an entirely new hand ranking, but can be used to duplicate any card in the deck.

Another example would be a KKKK9 board with one player holding an Ace and another holding wild-card Duece. Both players have identical hands (quad Kings with Ace kicker) but the natural Ace beats the wild-card.

And with a AAA29 board, a player holding an Ace would have the same hand as a player holding a wild card Deuce (quad Aces with Ace kicker), but the natural Ace beats the wild card.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom