Poker chip patent madness! (1 Viewer)

For the record, I think this thread is awesome. I also love the idea of doing a set of prints as poker room decor.

They look snazzier when the image is inverted:

pocker2.png

It also might be wise to vectorize the line drawing (in a program like Illustrator) before printing, if these were to be printed at any size above 8.5" x 11".

Last edited:
From 2002-2004 I worked at the company that has the contract with the Patent and Trademark Office for publishing patents; this is really interesting. Thanks for posting.

The chip pusher has to be my favorite. I have fashioned a crude, homemade version out of cardboard at least a couple times.

At some point I’ll go back and try Burt Company, Portland Billiard Ball Company, etc.
Don't forget USPC, too - they were a major player in the first half of last century before selling chip-making assets to Burt Co.

Can anyone explain/guess what this is better than the patent (from a random parent when I searched for *poker*)?

"The gaming system is disclosed that comprises a symbol selector configured to select a plurality of base symbols from a set of base symbols for display in a display area; and at least one set of additional symbols, each set of additional symbols including a plurality of additional symbols. The gaming system is configured to incorporate the additional symbols of an additional symbol set into the base symbol set so as to define a combined symbol set, and the gaming system is configured to select and display a plurality of base and/or additional symbols from the combined symbol set. The gaming system further comprises an outcome evaluator configured to determine a game outcome based on the selected base and/or additional symbols."

Why hasn’t anyone come up with a Poker patent poster? Or have they?
I think it would be cool to have framed and showcasing in a man cave. Even if they were patents in dice chips. Maybe dice chips are primitive for this forum, the dice chips are still a part of poker chip history into the progress of chipping.

Can anyone explain/guess what this is better than the patent (from a random parent when I searched for *poker*)?

"The gaming system is disclosed that comprises a symbol selector configured to select a plurality of base symbols from a set of base symbols for display in a display area; and at least one set of additional symbols, each set of additional symbols including a plurality of additional symbols. The gaming system is configured to incorporate the additional symbols of an additional symbol set into the base symbol set so as to define a combined symbol set, and the gaming system is configured to select and display a plurality of base and/or additional symbols from the combined symbol set. The gaming system further comprises an outcome evaluator configured to determine a game outcome based on the selected base and/or additional symbols."

Sounds like an electronic poker table?

I’m going to have to pay through the nose via Etsy to get my hands on some well printed patents (wife has long wanted some for the house).

Do we have any PCFers with professional printers or who do this? I’d be a little happier paying through the nose to a PCFer instead.

....The U.S. Patent Office’s search engine is like something out of the mid-1990s, so this was a bit frustrating, but I turned up a few curiosities.....

Hmmm -- a blast from the past. I have no idea how I missed this thread from almost two years ago, except that it began a few days before that year's SQM meat-up.

So let's see: "like something out of the mid-1990s" -- why yes, because that's when it was implemented, in stages, during 1994 and 1995.

Moreover, that BRS database engine was in use in PTO's internal operations, and therefor used authoritatively by PTO's patent examiners and most registered patent attorneys and agents, for many years before that. (It had originally been created for use in publishing patent data on CD-ROMs when they were a new technology.)

From 2002-2004 I worked at the company that has the contract with the Patent and Trademark Office for publishing patents; this is really interesting.

Interesting. I'm assuming that means you worked for Dataware Technologies, probably in Albany. It was Dataware's search engine that was and is used at PTO.

But no, Dataware does not have a contract for "publishing" patent data. They had (and I assume their successors, Open Text, still have) a contract for performing the weekly mark-up of newly-issued patent data, which is then transmitted to PTO, which publishes the entire database from its own servers.

If the PTO system looks old, that's because it is. Most of the Web pages of PatFT were designed and written by me, as the project manager, dragging the PTO kicking and screaming from its old dial-up BBS systems into the Internet era and onto the WWW. And I retired in 2011, so I'm as shocked as anyone to see those old pages hanging around. Especially since even I always considered the interface pages for the display of patent full-page images to be an abomination (not of my creation).

But to be fair, there's a reason why the PatFT database won multiple ComputerWorld annual best database awards in the late 1990s. It is very complex data, at that time the largest publicly-available database in the world, and the legal processes for performing authoritative prior-art searches while applying for new patents are very stringent. The biggest and best companies in existence -- including Oracle and IBM -- have taken whacks at the task and have failed, both independently and in competition for contract use by PTO. And the Google search capability does not even come close.

My most frequent ongoing chuckle: When I created the Advanced Search page, I chose the search examples displayed there. One of them is for tennis racquets (since I'm a tennis nut), and another is for patents issued to inventor Julie Newmar, the actress. If you execute the Newmar search, you will find her two most recent patents. One of them is entitled "Pantyhose with shaping band for cheeky derrier relief", the kind of patent title and word play which could never pass muster today.

I'd never have guessed that sample search would have been allowed there for over 25 years now... :cool:eek::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom