Poker as a conference topic? (1 Viewer)

JScott

Flush
Reaction score
I've been asked to do a 15 minute talk on Poker at a business function and I agree, I think I got a bit over my head here.

This is what I'm starting with. Any advice on more detailed topics I should dive into?

"Poker & Business: An Unlikely Pair.

Scott explores the unexpected parallels between the strategic dynamics of poker and the complexities of the business world, highlighting shared principles such as risk management, decision-making under uncertainty, psychology, adaptability, and strategic planning. Through insightful analysis and real-life examples, Scott provides valuable insights into how lessons from poker can be applied to business and vice versa, equipping them with a deeper understanding of the strategic mindset necessary for success in both domains."

I am sitting on a law review article I’ll be shopping around. I think poker skills are uniquely transferable to professions like law and business

First and foremost, constant reassessment of your bargaining position and the EV of a situation against the backdrop of incomplete information.

Second, but related to the first, is the idea of knowing when to cut your losses. If, as a businessman, you can identify when your counterparty has “the nuts” and stop throwing money at a losing endeavor, you’re winning in the long run.

Finally, on a longer timeframe, bankroll management. If you don’t manage the finances and over allocate yourself, you’re screwed.

Good luck from the Degen almost-lawyer!

Here you go!!

Your talk outline is already on a strong path, blending the essential elements of poker and business strategy in a way that can captivate and educate your audience. To enhance your presentation and provide a more rounded and impactful talk, you might consider diving deeper into the following detailed topics:

1. **Decision Making Under Uncertainty**:
- Explain how poker players assess incomplete information to make bets, similar to business leaders making strategic decisions with limited data.
- Discuss the concept of Expected Value (EV) and how it applies to both poker betting and business investments.

2. **Risk Management**:
- Elaborate on the importance of bankroll management in poker as a parallel to capital allocation in business.
- Talk about the concept of risk vs. reward and how poker players and businesses must balance potential gains with the possibility of loss.

3. **Psychology and Behavioral Economics**:
- Dive into the psychological aspects of poker, such as reading opponents and bluffing, and relate them to negotiating and influencing in the business world.
- Discuss how cognitive biases (e.g., overconfidence, sunk cost fallacy) can affect decisions in both poker and business.

4. **Adaptability and Strategic Planning**:
- Highlight the importance of being flexible and adapting to new information in poker, akin to pivoting strategies in a dynamic business environment.
- Discuss how long-term strategic planning in business mirrors a poker player's approach to a tournament, focusing on survival and capitalizing on opportunities.

5. **Real-life Examples and Case Studies**:
- Incorporate stories of successful poker players who have transitioned into the business world (or vice versa), highlighting the skills and principles that contributed to their success in both arenas.
- Present case studies of business decisions that mirrored poker strategy, such as aggressive takeovers (bluffs) or strategic retreats (folding).

6. **Ethical Considerations**:
- Address the ethical dimensions of poker and business, emphasizing fair play, integrity, and the importance of reputation.
- Discuss the fine line between strategic deception (bluffing) and unethical behavior.

7. **Lessons from Poker for Business Leaders**:
- Conclude with actionable insights or lessons that business professionals can take away from poker to apply in their strategic thinking and decision-making processes.

Remember, engaging your audience is key. Consider incorporating interactive elements into your talk, such as quick polls, hypothetical scenarios for the audience to consider, or even a brief demonstration of a poker concept with volunteers. These elements can make your presentation more engaging and help reinforce your points.

Finally, practice your delivery to ensure you can cover these topics within the 15-minute timeframe, keeping your talk concise, impactful, and memorable.

Maria Konnikova
The Biggest Bluff: How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and win

Literally this is the book for your topic. She presents poker from a psychological and decision making perspective. Amazing book!

I've been asked to do a 15 minute talk on Poker at a business function and I agree, I think I got a bit over my head here.

This is what I'm starting with. Any advice on more detailed topics I should dive into?

"Poker & Business: An Unlikely Pair.

Scott explores the unexpected parallels between the strategic dynamics of poker and the complexities of the business world, highlighting shared principles such as risk management, decision-making under uncertainty, psychology, adaptability, and strategic planning. Through insightful analysis and real-life examples, Scott provides valuable insights into how lessons from poker can be applied to business and vice versa, equipping them with a deeper understanding of the strategic mindset necessary for success in both domains."

In business just like in poker, you have to make decisions based on incomplete information in real time with a hard deadline. Sometimes you can get an extension, but you also run the risk of someone calling clock on you ;) And the longer you delay tough decisions, generally speaking the worse it gets for you.

Sometimes you make the decision to preserve what you already have (folding); other times you take risks based on what you could have if it works out (calling).

But in business and in poker, at some point you're invariably going to find yourself 'all-in'... because at the end of the day, scared money is dead money.

^^ @Moxie Mike brings up a valid topic about making decisions based on incomplete information, depending which poker game in reference you may have knowledge of some (or none) of the opposing sides cards. Being able to use intuition to narrow down what they have or what they are representing they have is a key element of poker. This is also true in business negotiations. I work in insurance litigation (on the opposite side of @RudysNYC sorry bro lol) and often in depositions and negotiations talk both sides are “guarding” what they have or don’t have. Being able to infer what information they are trying to gather based on the tactics they are using and questions being asked is key.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom