Tourney Player Seating for Main Event table (1 Viewer)

AnteAndy

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I'm running a league and have been going back and forth with my players on what they all agree with, just to make things easy, fun, and fair for everyone between new and regular players.

The Main Event at the end of the year is a STT with the top eight ranked qualify based on their points, where the top five people will receive a certain number of additional starting chips based on their ranked.

However, I'm not sure if it is fair to assign sitting. Usually do the card draw way where they draw a card from (ex: A-10), but thought of having their ranking in points also determine their position. So for example the top ranked points earner will be the Button, 2nd place will be the Cutoff, 3rd will be the Hijack, etc.

Which would be preferable? The usual card drawing way or placement based on ranking?

It's up to you, ultimately you want to remain consistent moving forward with whatever you choose.
I would cast my vote on the regular operating procedure(draw cards), as to stay in line with expectations and the overall experience.

We do a random draw for all weeks including the final freeroll.
We have done "Position Nights" throughout the season (similar to a bowling league) where table is 1 is 1-8 seated in order of position and table 2 starts 9-16 in order of position. It was an ok novelty but nothing anyone thought was relevant enough to keep doing.

We do a random draw for all weeks including the final freeroll.
We have done "Position Nights" throughout the season (similar to a bowling league) where table is 1 is 1-8 seated in order of position and table 2 starts 9-16 in order of position. It was an ok novelty but nothing anyone thought was relevant enough to keep doing.

Isn't Position Night the same thing then? Or are you referring to ranking sits in their numbered spot? For two tables, The color of the card would be for a table, one table for reds and the other for blacks, still keeping A-10 for specific seats.

Isn't Position Night the same thing then? Or are you referring to ranking sits in their numbered spot? For two tables, The color of the card would be for a table, one table for reds and the other for blacks, still keeping A-10 for specific seats.

When we did Position Nights Table 1 would have 1st in points, followed by 2nd in points, 3rd, etc
Table 2 would be 9th in points, 10th etc.

Random draw. I played in a league where the top three in points got to choose who was at their table for the year end tournament (there were three tables) but then they were seated randomly at that table.

I vote random draw/placement, although nothing wrong with doing the draw prior to the event (so that proper stacks can be set out ahead of time). All of the leagues I play in (or run) do this.

When we did Position Nights Table 1 would have 1st in points, followed by 2nd in points, 3rd, etc
Shouldn't it properly be reverse order: last in points in the SB, followed by next-to-last in the BB, etc. all the way to 1st in points on the button? Seating to the left is where lies the advantage, not the right.

Technically that is what it was, but it didn't prove useful so we quit.
I bowled for many years and we always had a couple of position nights where 1v2, 3v4, etc. I think it was an attempt to tighten up the positions? We tried it, it didn't do anything for us so we moved on.

although nothing wrong with doing the draw prior to the event (so that proper stacks can be set out ahead of time).

On the final freeroll night I bag up each players chips & put a sticker with their name & total chip count on the bag. All the bags are sitting on the table with the seat draw chips. They draw their seat, take their chips and unbag them and stack them out. Something different that sets the final freeroll night a little apart from the rest. Kind of gives that "Day 2" tournament feeling of unbagging your chips and setting yourself up.

Blind relative position changes each hand so is only significant for a hand. Player relative position stays until redraw or eliminations. The player on your left and right stay the same for a long time. I know that I really want to be seated to the left of some of our regular players and to the right of others.

Random draw is probably best so everyone doesn't try to get next to the fishy players.

For my final game, I have the top 3 players in the "1" seat at each table. I also put the 3 lowest stacks at each table (usually seat 6), and then randomize the remainder. I use Tournament Director to do it all, so I don't need to do much else.

Mark

I echo what BG said. I normally use Blinds Up app to generate my tables randomly. It prints out table seating charts and such in advance.

The only modification I make it to ensure I’m seated at the main table near the cash chips. I can keep an eye on the chips and it allows me to run the clock. Running a game while playing is not an easy thing. Anything I can do to make it easier for me, I’ll take those liberties.

The app almost always puts me at table one, and I take a specific seat no matter which number I’m assigned. Gives me control over the chips and easy access to getting up for hosting duties. Whomever gets seat one gets the button and sits accordingly in relation to the random order.

The only modification I make it to ensure I’m seated at the main table near the cash chips. I can keep an eye on the chips and it allows me to run the clock. Running a game while playing is not an easy thing. Anything I can do to make it easier for me, I’ll take those liberties.
I do the same thing. Never had a complaint.

I'm normally a big fan of random; However, if these people have spent weeks and weeks accruing points to get sat at 1 single table, I would not be averse to this format particularly since there should be SOME advantage to finishing higher.:

Lets assume 8 players.

8th place in points sits anywhere.

Now 1st place can sit anywhere, or remain standing.
If he remains standing, 2nd place can sit anywhere, or stand.
etc until SOMEbody sits. If no one sits, 7th place MUST sit in any remaining seat.

Repeat until all seated.

This way if the point leader wants position on a particular person, he gets it. After all he has earned that right.

Sounds convoluted but would only take 3 minutes to seat people.

Should be a random draw. If you want to reward first place, don’t stick him in Seat 1 next to the dealer. Instead, give him/her the choice to sit wherever he/she wants and everybody else draws randomly.

Should be a random draw. If you want to reward first place, don’t stick him in Seat 1 next to the dealer. Instead, give him/her the choice to sit wherever he/she wants and everybody else draws randomly.

So don't let him sit in SB or the Button seat at the start? Or you mean have all seats set at the table, and let 1st place sit where they want, like wanting to sit at the BTN, CO, HJ, etc?

So don't let him sit in SB or the Button seat at the start? Or you mean have all seats set at the table, and let 1st place sit where they want, like wanting to sit at the BTN, CO, HJ, etc?

Simply let him pick his seat. If he wants Seat 5, he gets Seat 5. If he wants Seat 1, he gets Seat 1. Then, everybody else draws at random for their seat.

I would much rather sit in a certain seat than be the first to have button or whatever. Having first button is really not important.

Usually do the card draw way where they draw a card from (ex: A-10), but thought of having their ranking in points also determine their position. So for example the top ranked points earner will be the Button, 2nd place will be the Cutoff, 3rd will be the Hijack, etc.

Which would be preferable? The usual card drawing way or placement based on ranking?
I would go with random. And if you were going to use points to determine the order, I wouldn't do the order like this. After all, the button placement would only be for one hand per orbit. The last-placed player, who starts in the SB, would be rewarded by having the "best" player on his right the whole night. And the player who is in 2nd place gets stuck with the #1 player to the direct left.

If you were going to seat in order of position to rewards points (and again, I think random is better), I would seat the highest-ranked players as far as possible from each other. So if the top-ranked player gets Seat 1 (assume 8 seats), you could put the 2nd-ranked in Seat 5 so neither of them has a positional advantage on the other. 3rd place in Seat 3, 4th place in Seat 7. 8th place would go in Seat 8 (penalized by having best player on direct left), with 7th place in Seat 4, which I guess puts 6th place in Seat 2 and 7th place in Seat 6.

I have hosted an end-of-season Main Event that is generally 3 tables, and experimented with something like this. For example, the #1 player, #2 player, and #3 player would all start on different tables, with the #6 player across from #1, #5 player across from #2, #4 player across from #3, and so on kind of like a snake draft. It's kind of fun to set up from a tournament director's perspective, but most players seem to prefer a pure random draw.

I ran a Poker Club with a season ending Tournament, what I did was let the player withe the most points pick and so on to the tenth player. We also gave players chips based upon position and event wins with players being able to earn chips and points throughout the year. Quite a lot of fun. Best of luck with your event.

I ran a Poker Club with a season ending Tournament, what I did was let the player withe the most points pick and so on to the tenth player. We also gave players chips based upon position and event wins with players being able to earn chips and points throughout the year. Quite a lot of fun. Best of luck with your event.

I’m guessing you let players select their seats based on season results because you thought it was an advantage to the chip leaders to pick first. Unfortunately, that is not the case and you actually put the chip leaders at a disadvantage (or, at least give lower finishes an advantage). Here is why...

Let’s say your top player is a very aggressive player and picks Seat 5. Your second place finisher is also an aggressive player and picks Seat 4. Your third place finisher usually plays quite tight. What seat is he/she likely to choose? My guess is it most certainly won’t be Seat 3!!!! ;):)o_O:wow:

You basically gave later finishers more information and an advantage. Random seating is far superior and fair.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom