Played in interesting home game last night (1 Viewer)

mike32

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I rarely if ever play poker on a Monday night but the family is out of town, and a really nice guy who plays in my home game frequently called as I was cutting the grass and said they had an opening at their cigar store game about 20 min. from my house. He had warned me that it was a great group of guys, but they play lots of burn pot games with no max burn. I decided what the hell, since I'm in bachelor mode anyway.

They used dice chips, but they had a deck of Copags. All were very nice guys and the games were all over the map. in some hi-lo games the wheel was low, in others A2346 was the best low. In some games the wheel was the ultimate hand and won no matter what. They also played a "colors" game where a each column of cards had to be either black or red to "qualify" and you had to have trips or better as a high or a qualifying low. All these were with matching no limit burn pots. Also the buy in was $50, it was $2 limit for the most part but you could rebuy or go to your wallet at any time (especially to match those burn pots). The biggest burn I saw I think was 2 of the 6 guys matching a $55ish pot. Also everyone was very eager to explain the games to me, sometimes over and over since they were so nuanced. They all said if they get my money, they want to win it fair and square. I did make one rookie mistake early and misread my hand in a game of "lomaha" where the lowest (or both if they match) two cards you play out of your Omaha hand are wild, lol. I also introduced them to double board Omaha in hopes I could make them feel a little uncomfortable!

All in all I had a great time and managed to not piss anyone off. I held my own as far as play, and would do it again. I also think some of my other poker buddies like Detroitdad (Bill) would have suffered from an exploded head with all the crazy, glorious shit that went down!

I did make one rookie mistake early and misread my hand in a game of "lomaha" where the lowest (or both if they match) two cards you play out of your Omaha hand are wild, lol.

Wait, so everyone is essentially playing this game with two wild cards? You're basically just hoping to pair one (or two) of your low cards so you can have three or even four wild cards?

same question?

Your right Mike. I never could have played in that game, lol.

Yeah, games like this tilt me like no other, they're just all over the map and it's hard to come in with a strategy, you constantly have to adapt to new rules and gametypes.

@snooptodd Yes if you have a pair in your hand they are wild. Usually takes at least quads, and strong quads to win.

Burn pot is if you call the final bet and don't at least win a piece, you must match what is in the middle. An example was I flopped a boat in a game called colors, which happened to hold up all the way to the end. Two guys called my final $2 bet and had lesser holdings. There was $34 in the middle which I scooped, so they each had to put $34 in the middle for the next round of the game. So now there was $68 plus any bets. If no one calls the final bet or all who call win a piece of the pot (ie hi hand or lo hand portions) the game is over. If they call the final bet and lost they must match the $68 plus in the pot, and this could be multiple people. It can get pretty crazy hence being able to go to your wallet at any time. I think last night's game may have been a bit tame, I only saw guy's put in burns of around $60 occasionally. If you like to call you could go through ALOT of money in this game. I tried to be very careful and I can only think of one bad fold I made.

@snooptodd Yes if you have a pair in your hand they are wild. Usually takes at least quads, and strong quads to win.

Burn pot is if you call the final bet and don't at least win a piece, you must match what is in the middle. An example was I flopped a boat in a game called colors, which happened to hold up all the way to the end. Two guys called my final $2 bet and had lesser holdings. There was $34 in the middle which I scooped, so they each had to put $34 in the middle for the next round of the game. So now there was $68 plus any bets. If no one calls the final bet or all who call win a piece of the pot (ie hi hand or lo hand portions) the game is over. If they call the final bet and lost they must match the $68 plus in the pot, and this could be multiple people. It can get pretty crazy hence being able to go to your wallet at any time. I think last night's game may have been a bit tame, I only saw guy's put in burns of around $60 occasionally. If you like to call you could go through ALOT of money in this game. I tried to be very careful and I can only think of one bad fold I made.

I will never play a "burn" game...........

Ah, we used to call that a "match pot" in the army when we played acey-deucy. It could get ridiculously expensive -- as in starting with quarters, and ending up with a thousand dollar pot.

I will never play a "burn" game...........

We used to play "burn pots" when we played Guts back in college. There were hands that got into the thousands for the final pot.

For those who have never played Guts it goes like this. (at least the way we played it)

Everyone antes and all players get 3 cards. In the first round 3s are wild. Everyone holds their cards out above the table, the dealer counts 1... 2.... 3.... guts... and when he says guts players have to drop their hands, anyone still holding their cards is 'in' the hand. If only one player is "in" he/she wins the pot and everyone re-antes. If more than one player is in the players show each other their cards (hidden from those not in the hand) and the winner gets the pot. The losers then pay the pot, if there are 4 losers the pot grows 4x.

The second round is two more cards for a total of 5 cards where 5s are wild then a round of 7 cards where 7s are wild. It's a fun game and the holding the hands out really adds some fun tension but i'll be damned if it doesn't get expensive as hell in the later rounds.

We used to play "burn pots" when we played Guts back in college. There were hands that got into the thousands for the final pot.

For those who have never played Guts it goes like this. (at least the way we played it)

Everyone antes and all players get 3 cards. In the first round 3s are wild. Everyone holds their cards out above the table, the dealer counts 1... 2.... 3.... guts... and when he says guts players have to drop their hands, anyone still holding their cards is 'in' the hand. If only one player is "in" he/she wins the pot and everyone re-antes. If more than one player is in the players show each other their cards (hidden from those not in the hand) and the winner gets the pot. The losers then pay the pot, if there are 4 losers the pot grows 4x.

The second round is two more cards for a total of 5 cards where 5s are wild then a round of 7 cards where 7s are wild. It's a fun game and the holding the hands out really adds some fun tension but i'll be damned if it doesn't get expensive as hell in the later rounds.

Never played GUTS with wild cards... sounds like fun
We did, however, play with "the weeny rule".. if everyone dropped their cards, the person who would have won the pot (and is hence a weeny for not holding) matches the pot.
We also maxed the amount you had to match at something like $20 - $50 (i guess we were all weenies, or just not bank rolled :)) so if the pot got big, there was an overlay

We played a version of this every once-in-a-while in my home game years ago. We called it 3-5-7. We played that if you were the only one holding, you got a token. The person with 3 tokens first won the middle pot. We played for a dollar per 3 round game. We had to keep a book for everyone owing someone money at the end of the night. It gets crazy when you are holding 4 aces in the 5 card round and are scared shitless to hold because there is $650 in the pot.

Ah, we used to call that a "match pot" in the army when we played acey-deucy. It could get ridiculously expensive -- as in starting with quarters, and ending up with a thousand dollar pot.

We did this in college. We allowed IOUs written on paper that had to be paid in full the next month. And after you paid you had to eat the paper and if you lost the paper in the month then it was void.
We always started with quarter antes and the pots would get into the hundreds of dollars...... :)

Nitzilla

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom