Tourney Plaques and Chips? (2 Viewers)

Zombie and BG, I never really thought about different stack configurations affecting play, but I believe you are right about it. That's the best explanation I can think of for why when we start with T25 as the lowest value, I wind up with way more 25s when we start with 16 than when we start with 12. It seems by the end of 2 orbits, I have a ton of 25s! It doesn't happen when we start with 12 of them. I've noticed the same thing with 100s.

If there are rebuys, let's say for 10K, do you think it also affects play if they get 10x1000 vs. 1x5000 + 5x1000 vs. 2x5000? If so, what about just giving them another starting stack? Would that encourage looser play on the part of the re-buy stack?

Another thing it makes me think of is that when we do rebuys, I'll frequently give the rebuy stack change for their bigger chips. Until reading this thread, I never thought of the psychology of it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Zombie and BG, I never really thought about different stack configurations affecting play, but I believe you are right about it. That's the best explanation I can think of for why when we start with T25 as the lowest value, I wind up with way more 25s when we start with 16 than when we start with 12. It seems by the end of 2 orbits, I have a ton of 25s! It doesn't happen when we start with 12 of them. I've noticed the same thing with 100s.

If there are rebuys, let's say for 10K, do you think it also affects play if they get 10x1000 vs. 1x5000 + 5x1000 vs. 2x5000? If so, what about just giving them another starting stack? Would that encourage looser play on the part of the re-buy stack?

Another thing it makes me think of is that when we do rebuys, I'll frequently give the rebuy stack change for their bigger chips. Until reading this thread, I never thought of the psychology of it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Me and another chipper used our chips together to host a MTT. 15 people with 6-7 re buys. We used all original starting stacks 12/12/5/6 for the re buys. I felt this created a lot of chips to be on the table, and some people had masssive stacks. I’ll add that we used an ante structure on top of the blinds, so we couldnt color up the T25 chips until the ante got to T100. We didn’t incorporate the 5K chips until the last 3 players. They had mountains of 1K chips. We didn’t use any plaques, although we could have used a few T25K plaques for color ups.

Although it is not as efficient as using larger denominations, handing out re-buy stacks that are identical to starting stack configurations does indeed promote looser play by those that re-buy. Sellin re-buys that contain nothing but the largest denominations has the opposite effect, unless the TD exchanges them with the big stack for smaller denomination chips prior to handing off to the re-buy player.

Personally, I hardly ever include the smallest denomination in a re-buy stack (unless I happen to have extra unused starting stacks already made), but I seldom configure them to contain only the highest denominations, either. So very small 2xT5000 or 5xT1000 / 1xT5000 re-buy stacks are rarely used in our T10k tournaments.

A typical 10k re-buy stack contains 5xT100 / 3xT500 / 8xT1000 for 16 total chips, or my preference, 10xT100 / 2xT500 / 8xT1000 for 20 total chips (in easily stored/accessed barrels, but it does also add more T100 chips requiring color-up later). A single rack of prepared re-buys is usually sufficient for a two table event.

Although it is not as efficient as using larger denominations, handing out re-buy stacks that are identical to starting stack configurations does indeed promote looser play by those that re-buy. Sellin re-buys that contain nothing but the largest denominations has the opposite effect, unless the TD exchanges them with the big stack for smaller denomination chips prior to handing off to the re-buy player.

Personally, I hardly ever include the smallest denomination in a re-buy stack (unless I happen to have extra unused starting stacks already made), but I seldom configure them to contain only the highest denominations, either. So very small 2xT5000 or 5xT1000 / 1xT5000 re-buy stacks are rarely used in our T10k tournaments.

A typical 10k re-buy stack contains 5xT100 / 3xT500 / 8xT1000 for 16 total chips, or my preference, 10xT100 / 2xT500 / 8xT1000 for 20 total chips (in easily stored/accessed barrels, but it does also add more T100 chips requiring color-up later). A single rack of prepared re-buys is usually sufficient for a two table event.

Agreed. I like that method a lot.

What do you think about 5xT1000, and 10x500? Then people can give a T500 Chip to the big stack to get some T100 chips. What do you think about that? Too many T500 chips?

Agreed. I like that method a lot.

What do you think about 5xT1000, and 10x500? Then people can give a T500 Chip to the big stack to get some T100 chips. What do you think about that? Too many T500 chips?

Personally, I'm not a fan of rebuys that require immediate change. It feels cheap to me. However, because our rebuy period frequently ends when the lowest denom of the tournament is coming off the table, the pre-built rebuy stacks do not have the lowest denom in them - because putting them on the table at the same time you are coloring them off is also inefficient, and can be overlooked during color-up.

When playing with rebuys, groups have usually done something like 10x1000 for the first rebuys, which gets more 1000s on the table and doesn't add 25s or 100s on the table. There are usually plenty of those. The next batch of rebuys is something like 1x5000 and 5x1000, and the last of them are 2x5000. I'm using this as an example as it isn't always 10,000.

Most of the games I've played in don't want to add a lot of smaller value chips, but some have just given a ready-made original stack because there are some left over. Doing things like that causes groups to not want to add extra small chips. And some the 25s have been colored up and must be immediately replaced, taking extra time.

The chip and blind structures I would think have a lot to do with what really makes the most sense. I've played with a wide variety of starting chip stacks and what seems to work the best in a game varies.

My game allows a player to start not later than the start of round 7 -- 2 hours in. For a while, we kept the 25s on the table until then, then colored up the 25s and 100s simultaneously. Giving a fresh starting stack would have worked without requiring immediate change. Our current structure takes the 25s out after an hour. We later color up the 100s and 500s simulataneously. That would mean giving someone a fresh stack required immediately coloring up their 25s any time after round 3.

Some rebuy games I've played in don't limit rebuys on number or time, others limit them based on both.

All that said, I do see where the make up of those rebuy stacks can affect play. Certainly if you are trying to promote looser play, including smaller chips makes sense. There should be only slightly more time spent in coloring up, so it won't have a big impact on the game, and none if done at a natural break.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom