PGI china clay falling apart? (1 Viewer)

My Pharoah's CCs (purchased on initial release) don't have a ton of use, and they've been stored in acrylic birdcages in a room that rarely gets direct sunlight.

Most of them are in pretty good shape, but the $1 chips are crumbling. Each time I've had them out in the past year, I end up with piles of white crumbs on the table.

If I remember, I'll post a couple photos from home tonight.

Recently bought sample sets of blanks from PGI: “compression clay” and “tower and spear”. Many of the chips broke in my hand while looking through them and the rest broke easily with light pressure. I have never handled such brittle chips. Threw them all away. Total garbage.

Recently bought sample sets of blanks from PGI: “compression clay” and “tower and spear”. Many of the chips broke in my hand while looking through them and the rest broke easily with light pressure. I have never handled such brittle chips. Threw them all away. Total garbage.
I believe the compression clay were the 8vs??

None of the china clays are compression clay. That's just a ruse that Joe at PGI tried to confuse people with, since the injection-mold process uses materials under pressure...... which he maintained meant the chip material was under 'compression'. It was hogwash.

Compression-molded means the material is compressed/squashed/flattened between two mold halves using high pressure and temperatures.

China clays aren't made like that; they use modified plastic injection mold machines (modified to inject multiple colors into specially-designed molds to create the spots).

Heads up for @Apache , particularly since he is working on a new CC set. I don’t know who manufactured these older CC sets, but I’ve seen various issues reported here in the past. Not good at all.

But whoever manufactured the Milano’s, Majestics, the newer Pharaohs and newer Dunes. So far so good. Absolutely zero issues.

I have a shuffle stack of Milano’s. Maybe used 1 hour a day for a year haha. Zero flaking, although the chips are dirty and grimy AF.

I really hope the 8v PGIs that ABC is selling right now are not like this. I ordered a lot not expecting much, but I would like them to at least be playable.

I really hope the 8v PGIs that ABC is selling right now are not like this. I ordered a lot not expecting much, but I would like them to at least be playable.

Are the 8Vs from the same previous generations of CCs?

Never mind, I just watched the video lol

Heads up for @Apache , particularly since he is working on a new CC set. I don’t know who manufactured these older CC sets, but I’ve seen various issues reported here in the past. Not good at all.

But whoever manufactured the Milano’s, Majestics, the newer Pharaohs and newer Dunes. So far so good. Absolutely zero issues.

I have a shuffle stack of Milano’s. Maybe used 1 hour a day for a year haha. Zero flaking, although the chips are dirty and grimy AF.
i have a cash set of Dunes CC bought from Apache about a month or so ago. I like them and think they are a good budget option, they are not at all like the samples from PGI/ABC that I referenced above.

are they pgis? i’ve never handled the 8v, but i can say that the yellow,pink,grey,brown spotted from 2010/2011ish are garbage. listed in order of brittleness. could’ve been a bad batch, i bought 800 of them off of a chiptalk member way back. we use them for plinking with b.b. guns and .22s. kids love em lol

I have a set of 2000 Milano’s. I’ve never noticed any flaking or brittleness. I did experience the significant thickness issues from years back, but my vendor made it right and I have chips of uniform thickness now.

The only issue I’ve seen is the colors of some chips have faded a lot over time. All of my yellow 1ks are now off white... and a third of my pink 5ks have faded significantly. I imagine these came from a different batch than the others, because 2/3 of my pink chips are still bright. I’ve used this set for a weekly bar game (but I only play once per month), else the Milano’s see no other time on the felt. They are stored in a cool basement drawer.

I’ve owned the set for maybe 5-6 years now?

I’ll have to dig out my samples but I will also say that my conditions were quite extreme. My kids use to throw all the chip into the trampoline and jump because they liked the noise it made, the China clays were mixed in with slugged and plastic chips so the abuse was way above average. I know some looked like they were in the garbage disposal for a second or two.

@SeanGecko and @JoeBGo do the 8vs break with easy pressure? Thoughts on everything above?
i’m out of the loop and didn’t realize abc purchased pgi. i seriously doubt that gene would sell something as shown above without a disclaimer, unless he was unaware. i’ve never done business with them, but he seems like a straight shooter from posts i’ve seen. imo.

I have a set of 2000 Milano’s. I’ve never noticed any flaking or brittleness. I did experience the significant thickness issues from years back, but my vendor made it right and I have chips of uniform thickness now.

The only issue I’ve seen is the colors of some chips have faded a lot over time. All of my yellow 1ks are now off white... and a third of my pink 5ks have faded significantly. I imagine these came from a different batch than the others, because 2/3 of my pink chips are still bright. I’ve used this set for a weekly bar game (but I only play once per month), else the Milano’s see no other time on the felt. They are stored in a cool basement drawer.

I’ve owned the set for maybe 5-6 years now?
I also have massive fading on my pink Milanos even though they have been sitting unused.

Grant

Right but not a single person has confirmed if they were the 8v same mold being sold now. Can you confirm?
I
4CBC9D4B-E1FC-4952-8A0C-4A9C1FE60059.png
I ordered the tower and spear and the Greek key mold samples above. Both were totally brittle junk. Some colors were more solid than others but about half broke with mild handling and the slightest pressure. I assume that ABC was just liquidating old PGI junk. Not good. Although I ordered through PGI website, the invoice was from ABC. The whole experience made me not want to deal with either company to be honest.

I View attachment 218208I ordered the tower and spear and the Greek key mold samples above. Both were totally brittle junk. Some colors were more solid than others but about half broke with mild handling and the slightest pressure. I assume that ABC was just liquidating old PGI junk. Not good. Although I ordered through PGI website, the invoice was from ABC. The whole experience made me not want to deal with either company to be honest.

Not what I wanted to hear after ordering 1300 for me and 500 for a friend

I ordered the tower and spear and the Greek key mold samples above. Both were totally brittle junk.
Dunno when you ordered, specifically what you got, or what your experience is with chips in general (and clay chips or china clays in particular), but a lot of seasoned people around here would argue with your description of either of those chips as "totally brittle junk". And publicly dissing a known vendor's reputation is pretty flamboyant for somebody who's been around here for less than two weeks. Did you bother to contact the company with questions or concerns?

Are they as durable as cheap ABS plastic? No. Are they more fragile than most other similar products on the market? No.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom