Pens: you can use them for writing things down (3 Viewers)

Lemonzest

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Pens work great for writing things down on paper.

I own the Uni Jeststream Alpha-Gel Grip, 0.7mm Ballpoint and Zebra F-701 0.8mm. For a while now the Jetstream has been my daily driver at home and at the office. I don't really like the Zebra F-701 but apparently some people love it.

I wanted to mix it up so I just picked these up but haven't tried them yet:
Zebra Sarasa Grand 0.7mm
Parker Jotter 0.7mm
Pentel Energel 0.7mm
rOtring 1904629 Tikky Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point
uni-ball 207 Rollerball Gel PREMIER 0.7mm

I haven't dabbled at all in fountain pens yet.

What is your favourite writing tool?

Pilot G-2 07 :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Probably not a helpful response.;)

Also, please don’t start talking about pens. I’m worried I’m going to find another gd hobby to spend money on.

My bag/notebook for work:
- Pilot G-2 0.5MM is my daily driver in blue, black, red, and green. Yes, I need multiple colors.
- Uni Kurutoga Advance Upgrade Model 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil, because sometimes I don't work in pen,
- Additionally have several fine tip sharpies, black and red.

I also carry a Fisher Space pen in my pocket.

I have always disliked mechanical pencils even since I was a kid and my Korean friends showed me them.

No judgement for those that like them.

I just had a discussion with a student who had filled his notebook with scribbles in pen on how the No.2 pencil with an eraser on the end is a superior instrument.

I have always disliked mechanical pencils even since I was a kid and my Korean friends showed me them.

No judgement for those that like them.
I prefer to use a pen but some things I have to do in pencil.

I just had a discussion with a student who had filled his notebook with scribbles in pen on how the No.2 pencil with an eraser on the end is a superior instrument.
I love a good wooden pencil. Ticonderoga #2 Black is my favorite. But just impractical to use as regularly as I want.

My favorite writing tool? AND you want pictures?!? I'll spare you but here's what I wrote with it:

maxresdefault.jpg

My bag/notebook for work:
- Pilot G-2 0.5MM is my daily driver in blue, black, red, and green. Yes, I need multiple colors.
- Uni Kurutoga Advance Upgrade Model 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil, because sometimes I don't work in pen,
- Additionally have several fine tip sharpies, black and red.

I also carry a Fisher Space pen in my pocket.
The space pen writes great
The thing never clogs

Here are a couple of cheapies that I've been using lately and have been really liking with regards to the smoothness/ease of writing:
PaperMate InkJoy (more like traditional ball point pen)
Uniball Signo (more like roller ball)

20230116_225535.jpg

Bottom is cheapy tacticool pen in case I ever need to John Wick or Jason Bourne somebody... haha

The space pen writes great
The thing never clogs

I like Fine Fisher refills. You can also put them in a G2 (not perfect perfect but useable!):

You have to grind down the white plastic adapter and make it shorter by about 5 or 5.5 mm (in the picture below, it's already been shortened). And you will want to stretch the spring to make it longer and reduce rattle (the Fisher has a greater length between the tip of the roller ball and the shoulder of the cartridge than the G2 - you might be able to find a longer spring from some other pen as well). Since the barrel diameter of the Fisher is smaller than the G2, you may also need to slightly crimp/oval the end of the spring that butts up against the refill so that it doesn't slide up onto it.

20230116_233030_resized.jpg

20230116_233122.jpg

Note the white plastic adapter goes in backwards (it's angled in these pictures because I mangled it by cutting it improperly, cracking it and making the end jagged/uneven - even so, it still works OK): You could also use any other solid ended cylindrical piece instead of the white Fisher adapter, a small wooden dowel or the back end of a used G2 ink cartridge or something like that should work fine too.

20230116_233118.jpg

You can fine tune how much the tip extends out by shortening the white plastic adapter bit by bit and test fitting in between, until you get your desired length.

20230116_233142.jpg

Last edited:
For general writing and sketching, I've always liked the very fine point Uniball Deluxe Micro pens.
uniball.jpeg

However, sometimes in the really fine-pointed pens, they get a bit "scratchy" when they write, just not as smooth as I prefer.

Recently, a buddy left behind a i2 Japanese-style pen (apparently made in China) and this pen is amazing.
pen.jpg

It's only .35mm, which performs more like a .5mm that I prefer. There's a bunch of different ones on Amazon, many for about a buck each. I havent tried them yet, but the one I have used is fantastic.

I like Fine Fisher refills. You can also put them in a G2 (not perfect perfect but useable!):

You have to grind down the white plastic adapter and make it shorter by about 5 or 5.5 mm (in the picture below, it's already been shortened). And you will want to stretch the spring to make it longer and reduce rattle (the Fisher has a greater length between the tip of the roller ball and the shoulder of the cartridge than the G2 - you might be able to find a longer spring from some other pen as well). Since the barrel diameter of the Fisher is smaller than the G2, you may also need to slightly crimp/oval the end of the spring that butts up against the refill so that it doesn't slide up onto it.

View attachment 1060527
View attachment 1060528

Note the white plastic adapter goes in backwards (it's angled in these pictures because I mangled it by cutting it improperly, cracking it and making the end jagged/uneven - even so, it still works OK): You could also use any other solid ended cylindrical piece instead of the white Fisher adapter, a small wooden dowel or the back end of a used G2 ink cartridge or something like that should work fine too.

View attachment 1060530

You can fine tune how much the tip extends out by shortening the white plastic adapter bit by bit and test fitting in between, until you get your desired length.

View attachment 1060531
Yup if you can make a refill work they are not too bad

My three favorites
Space pen at the bottom is my go to
Got that out of the trash from an emptied office we cleaned out in our building

image.jpg

image.jpg

An honorable mention
The design is too cool and it was free in a junked pickup I parted out and scrapped in pieces I cut up with a chop saw

image.jpg

View attachment 1060527
View attachment 1060528

View attachment 1060530

View attachment 1060531
I think if a fisher was my daily driver I might do something like that as it is a bit 'wide' however 9 times out of 10 I'm using it to sign my name. I couldn't even reliably tell you what I do with it the other 1 in 10 times, fill out some form at a doctors office maybe? I've lost 3, found 1, never replaced the ink cartridge yet. :)

CarandAche

But for all US and Canada recomend GoulePens and Noodlers inks. What a selection...

Is "writing" that thing the Greeks did to get words to appear on their phones? I think I've heard of it before.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom