PCF K-Drama Fan Thread (1 Viewer)

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Over the last few months, I’ve become increasingly obsessed with k-dramas. I’m on my 17th right now, and wanted to create a thread to see if there were other fans, share recommendations, reviews and tidbits.

I’ve become so enamored, I’ve booked a 2 week trip to Seoul in October, just to see the city for myself.

Obviously, almost everyone has seen Squid Game. Here’s what I’ve watched so far, and my ratings.

Business Proposal :):)
Vincenzo :):)
Forecasting Love and Weather :):)
It’s OK Not to be OK :tdown:
When the Camellia Blooms :):):)
What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim? :):)
K2 :):):)
Memories of Alhambra :):)
Thirty Nine :):):)
Something in the Rain :):)
Crash Landing On You :):):):):p:p:p:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::love:
Nevertheless :):)
Start-Up :vomit:
Iteawon Class :):):)
Run On :tdown:
Touch Your Heart :):)

Any other fans on here? Any recommendations?

I’m a huge fan of Son Ye-jin and have been trying to watch everything she’s in, but can’t find some of the older ones on the streaming services. Hoping to grab DVDs of them when I visit Seoul.

I don’t watch a lot weirdly being Korean but i got reply 1988 recommended a lot so I checked it out and it’s really good.

Seoul is a great city I’m sure you will have a fantastic time whether poker is a part of it or not!

So I know that this recommendation isn’t K-Drama. It came from Japan, specifically, a Japanese Book. That being said, Battle Royale (2000), Is in a similar genre to squid games, I thought it was entertaining and better than hunger games which came after as well as fort nite.

Didn’t mean to suggest something outside of Korea (I understand it is different) I thought it was worth a mention if you enjoyed the squid games.

My wife loves these dramas as well. She watched Crash landing on you - twice:D I sent her your list (she watched many of them, and will check out some of them!), and she told me to recommend you A Korean Odyssey.

Edit: I also watched some episodes of the Crash landing on you with her, and I enjoyed it!

She also added some more recommendations. The king was apparently also a very good show, and hometown cha-cha-cha also worth seeing. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I watched about half of your list… and I can’t help but compare everything to Crash Landing Onto You. I totally agree with your rating: :):):):):p:p:p:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::love:

I put Crash Landing in my favorite shows/series next to Seinfeld, The Wire, Succession, & Breaking Bad.

You should check out some of the grimier/ thriller/ mystery genres of K drama, there’s a few solid ones you can start with!

All of us are dead
Hellbound
Extra curricular
Taxi driver
Monster

I heard pachinko was pretty good too. It’s on Apple TV.

I believe you can find most of them on Netflix, if not you can check out Viu, a streaming site for most Korean dramas.

Korean movies are awesome too!

Adding on to the list :

Kingdom
Sweet home
Sky castle
The uncanny counter
World of the married

Sorry for the spam, being half korean it’s always fun to see people enjoying k dramas haha

+1 for The Uncanny Counter, that's a good one. Prison Playbook was also good. If you want an oldschool mindf*ck of a movie, check out Old Boy (the 2003 movie, not the more recent garbage remake)

Right now I'm watching Alchemy of Souls and really enjoying it.

I tell ya, the Koreans have really upped their game when it comes to movies and TV.

All of us are dead
Hellbound
Extra curricular
Taxi driver
Monster
Kingdom
Sweet home
Sky castle
The uncanny counter
World of the married

Sky Castle, the Uncanny Counter and World of the Married have been on my watchlist. Admittedly, I’ve been binging the love stories first, mostly because I’ve been trying to replicate the dopamine effect of Crash Landing On You for weeks now.

But like @chrismurda said, it kinda spoils all the other shows for you, it’s so damn good. I had to rewatch it when I learned that Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin fell in love during filming, got married and just had a baby.

Chris, I just read that they’ve commissioned an American remake, which boggles my mind. The whole reason the show worked as well is because of the stark difference and conflict between North and South Korea. What possible country or entity could they use that the US shares a border with that has that kind of built-in tension?

The better news is that they’re in talks to make a sequel season!

I read that when it was first announced. I can’t imagine a scenario that can be close to the story dynamic as an American remake. Like Oldboy… some Korean stories need not be remade.

Something like Hometown Cha Cha Cha was a remake which I can see an American version be successful.

"Flu" was damn disturbing, the stadium scene was horrifying to imagine but could be a reality.

Over the last few months, I’ve become increasingly obsessed with k-dramas. I’m on my 17th right now, and wanted to create a thread to see if there were other fans, share recommendations, reviews and tidbits.

I’ve become so enamored, I’ve booked a 2 week trip to Seoul in October, just to see the city for myself.

Obviously, almost everyone has seen Squid Game. Here’s what I’ve watched so far, and my ratings.

Business Proposal :):)
Vincenzo :):)
Forecasting Love and Weather :):)
It’s OK Not to be OK :tdown:
When the Camellia Blooms :):):)
What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim? :):)
K2 :):):)
Memories of Alhambra :):)
Thirty Nine :):):)
Something in the Rain :):)
Crash Landing On You :):):):):p:p:p:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::love:
Nevertheless :):)
Start-Up :vomit:
Iteawon Class :):):)
Run On :tdown:
Touch Your Heart :):)

Any other fans on here? Any recommendations?

I’m a huge fan of Son Ye-jin and have been trying to watch everything she’s in, but can’t find some of the older ones on the streaming services. Hoping to grab DVDs of them when I visit Seoul.
Visit Gwangjang market and Noryangjin Market

I love South Korea and was lucky enough to be stationed there twice. If you can arrange it, a must-do is a tour of the DMZ. It was easy to arrange for military members because the bases all do tours and take you to some special places like the Panmunjom Joint Security Area where the negotiations between north and south take place. You can even go into the negotiation building that spans the demarkation line and walk "into North Korea" by walking to the far side of the building, It's very eerie to have North Korean soldiers around watching you and South Korean soldiers guarding you while there. Some tours also take you to go inside tunnels that were discovered from the North burrowing under the DMZ into South Korea and some great viewing areas to look down into the DMZ no-man's land and propaganda villages that the North has created along the border.

Joint Security Area Panmunjom

Go hiking in a South Korean park. Hiking is an enjoyed activity and the parks are all beautiful. I went hiking many times in the mountains around Seoul and it was really sobering to be walking on a trail and come across a manned anti-aircraft gun pointing North. You won't see that in other places but in those mountains north of Seoul.

Go see the Korean War Museum in Seoul.

If you can spare the day or two from your itinerary, go see Jeju Island at the southern tip of the Penninsula.

And if you can add several days to your trip, while you are traveling so far already, why not see some very special places only short flights away from Seoul like Cambodia's Angkor Wat which is an amazing place as special as the Pyramids of Egypt. Also Thailand or Vietnam are great places to spend a couple of days.

Last edited:
Not quite a fan, but my fiancé watches them and my mom used to watch them as well. I recall watching two series to completion which is saying something as I usually fall asleep ;)

Mr Sunshine
Memories of Alhambra

Also watched a couple of Chinese dramas that were pretty good. I can only recall this one which I liked a lot

Who Rules the World (history piece and kung fu!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom